23 coaches online • Server time: 04:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gobogen

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Back on topic, and I want to say I haven't read the whole thread, but playing two games in a row with the exact same matchup is very boring. I played twice in a row with the exact same teams involved, and the very next game was against the same coach AGAIN.

I think that the possibility for such a matchup (twice the same matchup consecutively or also, imo, twice in a row vs same coach) should be plain impossible for the scheduler to make.

I'd add to that, twice the same matchup in a row for the same team should probably be checked for as well.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2009 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think, that the scheduler should at least rule out an identical match-up for 24 h or so (unless both teams have played other teams in the meantime).

It's a bit silly to activate after a game has been finished and be scheduled with the same teams again.

Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

When the scheduler get updated it would be nice with some kind of matchup limitation.

But I'd rather play a rematch, than not play at all.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to allow such matches to be scheduled (but with some negative modifier) and then leave it up to the coaches as to whether they want to play it or not.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 21:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to allow such matches to be scheduled (but with some negative modifier) and then leave it up to the coaches as to whether they want to play it or not.
Wait - why are you giving the coaches a choice about this match, but not other matches? Blackbox is *not* about choosing your opponents or your matches.

If you are going to have such a rule, I would rather it be this: If both coaches agree, then the match shall be canceled. I expect admins would be happy to do that today anyway.

I would not agree with this rule either, but it makes more sense to me. Rematches are things that will happen in a random scheduler. If you don't want the scheduler to do rematches then say that - I don't think giving the coaches control over which matches they play is what Blackbox is about.
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Whether both coaches must agree to not play the game or whether both coaches must agree to play the game when it is a rematch is not really an issue we should be considering at first, whichever way people prefer works. The details can be delved into later. For now I wanted to advance the idea that, since rematches are neither clearly OK or clearly stupid, a system with some flexibility would be nicer than one where the match is not made.

The feasibility of intelligent anti-rematch systems would be dependent upon the difficulty of the scheduling. Ideally perhaps you would like to run through the scheduler with no rematches, and if everyone gets matched reasonably then leave it, but if there are unmatched people then run the scheduler again with rematches allowed, and if that gives a better result then go with it, and allow the rematched coaches the opportunity to become unmatched if they want to. Whether this sort of approach is practical is another question.
Haxtor

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess maybe I am going hardline on this, but I say if the scheduler makes the matchup the coaches should play it. If you keep playing at the same times with the same teams, especially if you are an outlier, i.e. high tr/ts you should expect to play the same coaches and the same teams.
There already is a consideration taken to attempt to avoid this in the form of preferred team activation. If two coaches are playing at approximately the same time both preferring to play with teams that are approximately the same tr/ts or fit into the formula as suitable and other teams are outside said range yes they should be forced to play each other until one or the other picks/makes a different team or they decide to get on at different times regardless of what either of them wants to do about the game.
 Jump to: