59 coaches online • Server time: 12:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like to see some sort of limited retirement or an offseason for your Blackbox teams?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 57 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 106

funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe there could be an option for limited retirement of a team. It could still take up your max active teams. Maybe put a team in offseason. To limit abuse, maybe a percentage of your total teams can be in the offseason at once. The catch would be you can't bring them back into the offseason for a certain period of time or maybe a number of games. Also maybe a certain number of games need to be played before going into the offseason.
westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Is the purpose so that you can temporarily remove a team from consideration by the scheduler?

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Active or Retired only thanks
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

A feature which allows a team to rest would be essential if there were ever any tournaments in [B] (and I really hope there will be).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod, can you elaborate on what "resting" might mean in a tournament context?

Last edited by westerner on Jan 07, 2009 - 04:54; edited 1 time in total
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the offseason idea.
johan

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 05:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of "hibernation" as well. Maybe deactivate the team for schedulingn for one month? That should be pretty hard to abuse.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
SillySod, can you elaborate on what "resting" might mean in a tournament context?

If I have an uninjured team which is resting on 198TR and I really want to play in a TR200 capped tournament then playing an additional game is likely to do more harm than good. Even if I force a concession while suffering no casualties I'll have gained 3TR (2 mvps and +FF) and will have to drop more than the cash I gained from the game and thats the best case scenario. The logical conclusion is that I really dont want to play another game with that team until I'm in the tournament. Currently the only way to guarantee that this is the case would be to stop playing blackbox games entirely... which is pretty annoying.

The obvious solution is to have some other method of garunteeing that your team wont get games, lets call it "hibernating" the team. Unfortunately this could be open to abuse if someone used the feature to circumvent the all-in nature of the scheduler (maybe they spotted Emphasy in chat and quickly hibernated their high elves to avoid being drawn against his chaos). I can see two pretty easy ways to make the abuse impractical:
- put a time limit on hibernation, a hibernated team must stay hibernated for x many days and only becomes re-hibernated after 24 hours of the re-hibernation button being pressed.
- put a price tag on hibernating a team, very rich teams might still be able to get away with it but most people wont be willing/able to spend 20k-40k on a regular basis just to be able to dodge teams they might not have played anyway.
Of the two I'd favour a pricetag, it looks a little easier to code and coaches would be able to click and it would be done without worrying about time limits etc.

Edit: darn, Johan coined the word "hibernation" before I did Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Maluzu

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Having an option to change the team from 'active' to 'off-season' would be nice. Like johan mentioned make it a month... how can that be abused?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

silly - B tournies would never be by TR - they would be TS. You know it makes sense...

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

and what this allows you to do is sit on that really good team until tournament time, a la Ranked.

For what it's worth, I vote no. If you want to baby and not risk your teams, go play in ranked. Blackbox should be for the brave.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
WardenUSA

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for being able to "sleep" teams.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Olny if it activates 1d6 games after you select it, and comes back 1d6 games after you deselect it.

That way there is no chance of abuse. maybe 1d3 games, however my point is it should not start untill you have played at least 1 more game.

It should have at least a 1 game cooldown. this way it can't be used for matchups.

Also limit it, so that you can only do it with 3+ active teams or something. Stopping everyone form only having 1 active team.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
silly - B tournies would never be by TR - they would be TS. You know it makes sense...

And I know it makes sense because then everyone is hoping for as many MNG as needed to bring their strongest team below the cap. Play the first game on nearly even terms and suddenly you are a good deal stronger than any other opponent.

Or have tons of cash and after you applied you start the hiring spree...
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Having an option which is for at least a months hibernation is probably too much. The point of having the option is that you can actually use it Wink

pythrr wrote:

TS is a terrible tool to use as a cap for leagues and tournaments. TR is a much better measure of how good a team will be over the course of several games. TS deliberately sacrifices that kind of judgement so that it can better evaluate the team for a single game. Even if you replaced TR with TS as a cap you would have the same problem with injuries, aging, and extra skills/FF pushing your team over the TS borderline.

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
and what this allows you to do is sit on that really good team until tournament time, a la Ranked.

For what it's worth, I vote no. If you want to baby and not risk your teams, go play in ranked. Blackbox should be for the brave.

... but what it dosent let you do is cherrypick and elfball your way to that really good team like ranked does. Having managed to get a team looking really good then why should you be punished for continuing to play in blackbox? Actually this would be yet another reason to never run an agility team in blackbox, we dont need yet another reason for coaches to select teams based on their longevity.

Theres bravery and then theres stupidity. Bravery is taking on all challengers etc. Stupidity is playing a game where there is no possible scenario that dosent damage your team...

Jump to: