57 coaches online • Server time: 18:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like to see some sort of limited retirement or an offseason for your Blackbox teams?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 57 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 106

Skolopender

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
Skolopender wrote:
[

We should look at the pro tennis rankings for inspiration.

Ohhhhh, can I wear a sassy tennis dress?

Only if you have the legs for it Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
Skolopender wrote:
was thinking that we would have a ranking similar to the one in [R] either Championship or CR. This would last a period. Winner would be chosen. (Like no.1 on the ATP Tour list) The reset of the rating, and start up again. This coul be weekly, monthly or however it would fit best. We could use the BR allready existing for this. Though I don't know if it is possible to reset like that.

Idea just flashed into my mind..

Resetting BR periodically might have the beneficial effect of addressing some of the concerns raised about excessive TS bias against strong coaches, since this would only become a significant factor towards the end of the competitive period.

I like that idea so much that I think that I might have already raised it a few times. Wink

It would be nice to keep the proper BR but have a BCR(?) for a monthly championship and use that for scheduling. Reset BCR at the begining of each month.

I don't think we need to wear dresses though.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I like that idea so much that I think that I might have already raised it a few times. Wink

It would be nice to keep the proper BR but have a BCR(?) for a monthly championship and use that for scheduling. Reset BCR at the begining of each month.

Sorry for slowz Embarassed

YES! I think that is bang on! That provides both short- and long-term competitive goals while keeping TS matchups reasonable.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
koadah wrote:

Sorry for slowz Embarassed

YES! I think that is bang on! That provides both short- and long-term competitive goals while keeping TS matchups reasonable.

Someone probably proposed it before me too. Smile

Some people don't seem to like the Championship idea.

I don't know if it is bias against high CR. Resetting should fix that.
Maybe bias against those who play a lot of games. Surely some sharp maths brain can sort that.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder what's the point of BR reset (which I would be against, but anyway) in this thread. It's a bit off-topic.

Another Off-topic comment after reading Unstoffe's post:
I wonder why so many persons invoke [B]'s spirit.

The only thing I am certain of, is that [B] intention is not to be able to select your opponent.

So I decided that [B]'s spirit is to drink beer. [B]eer. right?

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

[U] [A]re [R]ight, [S]kate [B]acon

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Is [B]eer the spirit of [B]? I thought only hard liquor such as [B]accardi or [B]randy qualified. Smile

The topic of [B] competition probably deserves its own thread.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Mmm [B]eer

Damn, that is almost worth making another team with [B] in the name...

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
westerner wrote:
Skolopender wrote:
was thinking that we would have a ranking similar to the one in [R] either Championship or CR. This would last a period. Winner would be chosen. (Like no.1 on the ATP Tour list) The reset of the rating, and start up again. This coul be weekly, monthly or however it would fit best. We could use the BR allready existing for this. Though I don't know if it is possible to reset like that.

Idea just flashed into my mind..

Resetting BR periodically might have the beneficial effect of addressing some of the concerns raised about excessive TS bias against strong coaches, since this would only become a significant factor towards the end of the competitive period.

i agree with this one.

i don't think resetting BR periodically is a good idea, since that would mean:

1. match-ups w/o coaching-abilities taken into account at the beginning of the time-frame
2. match-ups with coaching-abilities accounted for at the end of the time-frame

this would just cause less reliable ratings while serving as one more invitation for optimisation-freaks to metagame: if you're a good coach just don't play after your rating has improved a lot, but just wait for the next reset, where you can get easier games, again Sad

Thus keeping BR without resetting, but having a separate monthly (or whatever the period would be) rating to choose the best player of the month. Smile

as far as dresses are concerned: Only if we're matched up vs. oppo's with matching colors.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm.. so if people don`t want BR in the matchmaking, that is bad because they are evil noob basher, but if BR has a monthly reset, then it`s OK if newbies lose their 20 games per month before they have reached cuddling level cotton?

Besides.. the Championship thingy is inherently flawed, as then it will be best to wait and play late in the month, when you get an advantage over the really tough coaches. And if you championship looks like the current, then people will play 10 games before they feel any effect of BR and try to powergame that (using teams that pack ALOT of punch for the TS) and then quit [B] for the rest of the month until ranking is reset again. I can already see the new cherrypicking discussions... "Your win% is only that high, because you always played only 5 games a month!"
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2009 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The main idea I am trying to get across is that unless there is a way to limit some draws, the Blackbox will not see coaches with a high number of teams. I think the offseason idea takes the pickiness out of it by going with a length of time. Of course this doesn't really affect coaches with 3 or less teams. I'd like to have ten team, but would like a little more control. I think it is a good trade off for a coach with multiple teams. How does it take away from the integrety of the box when one coach uses offseason and has 10 teams and another coach just has 1 team.
 Jump to: