28 coaches online • Server time: 08:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Referring to the other thread, it's a problem in the box.

Biggie told it happens at least once a day. And the alpha stage won't be over until it's solved.

Why not making the site simulate a concession for this, within the site itself? It would correct the rosters accordingly as if one team clicked on concession. A counter would be increase by 1 so that admin could watch who has done it too many times. Then ban from blackbox if needed.

Opinion?

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

another option (if doable) would be to keep the 2 teams scheduled and give coaches the opportunity to play their other teams in blackbox
the coach who showed up could then play another game in box while it gives the coach who didnot show up the opportunity to contact his opponent (if he had a RL emergency or a computer breakdown - which would be rare in the 5 minutes it takes to schedule but is still possible). this would also give a fair chance to (newb) coaches that clicked on activate without knowing what they were doing

a concession could then be done if the coach refuses to play the scheduled matchup
Espionage

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Reisender's idea

Last edited by Espionage on %b %08, %2009 - %12:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

i vote [a]

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

Biggie told it happens at least once a day. And the alpha stage won't be over until it's solved.

Why not making the site simulate a concession for this, within the site itself? It would correct the rosters accordingly as if one team clicked on concession. A counter would be increase by 1 so that admin could watch who has done it too many times. Then ban from blackbox if needed.

Opinion?

I said it happens roughly once a day with the unshedulings usually being activations by accident
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

BiggieB wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

Opinion?

I said it happens roughly once a day with the unshedulings usually being activations by accident

So you mean there's more than once a day, then.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest in the final division we dont want any teams to get unscheduled whether they were caused by accident or not. Otherwise I could draw PeteWs chaos and then say "oops, there I go misclicking on that activation button again". If accidents are a genuine repeat problem then perhaps there needs to be a de-activate button instead of a "pending" sign.

Also I would like the concession to be site automated but think it needs to be something which is only available to admins or perhaps special blackbox moderators.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
To be honest in the final division we dont want any teams to get unscheduled whether they were caused by accident or not. Otherwise I could draw PeteWs chaos and then say "oops, there I go misclicking on that activation button again". If accidents are a genuine repeat problem then perhaps there needs to be a de-activate button instead of a "pending" sign.

Also I would like the concession to be site automated but think it needs to be something which is only available to admins or perhaps special blackbox moderators.

Yes and No.
While I agree that there shouldn't be a un-schedule after the draw is made, I think we could use an un-apply button in the 5 mins.
I mean, it DID actually happen to me.. I clicked by accident on Activate (was half drunk) and really had to go out in a few mins. If it had appened between 55 and 00 or between 25 and 30, I would have had to play.
I think no one gets hurt if it's possible to deactivate during the 5 mins time window.
Of course, if it's a genuine mistake you spot it immediatly. If you realize it was a mistake AFTER seeing your opponent, then it's not genuine and I agree you should be forced to either play or concede (and possibly get a ban too).

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Re-read what I wrote Jan Wink

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Re-read what I wrote Jan Wink

I need more sleep.
And considering the holidays have just gone and I'll have no more free days before Easter, that's totally bad news. Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

No more free days at all even on weekedns? Sad

westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with the deactivate option within the 5 minute window. That causes no harm and can save admin effort.

I think the larger question raised is whether the standard disconnection rules should be followed (which can often take 24 hours or more) or whether there should be a shorter window, with forfeit for no-show.

As an example, suppose opponent has a RL emergency and offers to play the game that evening (in 6 hours). Should that be OK?

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

i vote for:

a. being able to deactivate within the 5-min-interval before the match-ups are created.

b. procedures for no-shows similar to disconnects in R - this should happen rarely when people know there are strictly-enforced procedures (may take up to 24h, though)

c. automatic forfeit-feature available to admins if no-show-causer doesn't show up within 24h and a game is scheduled (like what SillySod proposed) and also a ban if now-show-causer hasn't shown up and explained what went on (like what Jan proposed).

d. being able to activate alternative B-teams when one suffers from no-show.
Chingis

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think whatever happens with no-shows would be better if it was an immediate effect.

Part of the beauty in the Blackbox idea is not just the fair and unknown matchups, but the ability to get a game now (or at least within 29 minutes tops). The "victim" of a no-show has just lost that game, so has to wait anther thirty minutes for the next scheduling which is annoying enough, but having to wait a day would be even more annoying! It seems particulary silly as it would completely defeat one of the best points of the Blackbox in the first place.
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
No more free days at all even on weekedns? Sad

Not in Italy. Never in Italy.
 Jump to: