45 coaches online • Server time: 12:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Can modifying the min. coach limit, allow more games without too much abuse?
Yes. If the parameters can be configured well enough to deny too much abuse.
35%
 35%  [ 37 ]
No. This is too difficult to implement. 6 coaches or no games.
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Not sure. I'm not too familiar with blackbox yet.
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
I don't care.
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Pie!
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 103

Balle2000

Post 10 Posted: Jan 12, 2009 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday I played my 100th BlackBox game.

And I absolutely love it! \o/

Although my opponent marred the occasion with a turn 4 concession, the two dead and niggled Chaos Warriors helped a little towards the post match celebrations of the Black Lagoon Biological.

But let's talk shop. We who dislike it, are finally free of all the pickety business going on in [R]anked. My teams in that division have all been retired, and I think all of us in the Box are more or less looking forward to the improvement of an already impressive - though yet far from flawless - system.

So after 100 games under my blood stained belt, I have a suggestion for the next level of Box. One that will make more games possible, especially for us who enjoy our touchdowns and casualties in less crowded time-zones.

Replacing/modifying the "Minimum Coach limit".

The Minimum Coach limit is now 6. If there are 5 or less activated coaches, it's not possible to play BlackBox. Consequently there are often favorable match-ups disallowed and coaches needlessly disgruntled, just because BowlBot didn't reach the 6-count.

The limit is there to protect against abuse. Against coaches making intentional match-ups, subsequently making it possible to rig games. Fair. We benefit from such protection. But I think that with a change, we can see more games, and still have a more than adequate cheat protection.

My suggestion is modifying how the limit works. Let me give an example:

When there's less than 6 coaches, instead of the overly strict no-games-allowed limitation, how about a coach vs coach and team vs team specific limit? For safety, the minimum limit could be reset to 3 coaches for example.

When configured properly (let's not get into the numerical specifics this time, please) this will allow for more games, and still protect against possible abuse and any repeatedly played match-ups between teams and/or coaches.

This limit would only kick in when there's less than 6 coaches activated, so it doesn't affect any of the match-ups procedures in the current system (ie. when there's 6 or more coaches).

I've aired this statement frequently in the #fumbblblackbox channel, and I've found that we can all enjoy our Bowl more with such an implementation (especially us time-zonedly challenged).

Thank you for reading through. I've taken up too much of your time already. Get back to the Box!
Fallen00

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2009 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The divisions is still in Alpha, I believe Christer is working on a new scheduler that may or may not take care of this issue.

I also believe this might get fixed all by itself whenever that new scheduler is out, as you'll have more poeple(hopefully) playing in the "box".
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2009 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Fallen00 wrote:
The divisions is still in Alpha

Obviously. And Christer has specifically requested trial and feedback.

And that's exactly what this thread is about Smile

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
treborius

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2009 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Fallen00 wrote:
The divisions is still in Alpha

Obviously. And Christer has specifically requested trial and feedback.

And that's exactly what this thread is about Smile

congrats to 100 games in B (i'm close, as well) Smile

it's happened to me quite a few times, that i didn't get scheduled (i'd estimate about 1 in 10 times).
I didn't mind too much, since i just had to spend those few moments from activation till draws are anounced to find out and could then spend my time for the next 30mins elsewhere, but i'd probably get frustrated as you have, when i'd realize it's "only" because of the min-coach-limit and not because there're an uneven # of coaches activating, etc.

i absolutely don't see any problem with your suggestion and if it's actually happening at least once every few days (nights Wink ), i'd think it's worth it Smile
Islington_66_81

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 07:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It happens several times every night as in my experience so it is kinda a problem.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it would be difficult, but I already see repeat matches going on. Who wants to deal with that. Even if you coded around that I think a 6 coach minimum is very minimal already.
MichN18

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Its especially bad in the pre-midnight hours in the US. Frequently the box will spit out no games and its definitely a drag when there are four or five coaches around.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

if you're going to allow coach repeats then yes, 6 coaches is likely the minimum.

But I think a better solution is 4 coach minimum with no coach repeats. That would make a world of difference for coaches in NA in the evening, where there is generally between 2 and 5 coaches for a stretch of 3 or so hours. It would mean a lot more rounds going off.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
halivaraith

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I don't think I've ever seen two rounds in a row go without match ups though. Sure a lot of the time at night there will be a failed one but usually if a couple of those coaches stick around the next round will go though as games finish up or more people come online. Getting a match every hour isn't too bad, still seems to be a lot faster than gamefinder. Changing the minimum coach requirements seems to me it would just mean 2 matches every half hour instead of 0 matches on the 30 min mark and 4 matches on the hour mark. In the end there's not a whole lot of difference but I'd support this change as long as the matchups aren't too out of whack.
Lithuran

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The popularity of the box is dropping, mainly because you can't get a game anymore.

In the last 2 days i've waited hours watching 4 or 5 coaches arrive and no game.

The limit needs to be dropped to 4, before the box is totally empty. Not next week, TODAY.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Lithuran wrote:
The popularity of the box is dropping, mainly because you can't get a game anymore.

I doubt that is the main reason. Sounds more like a result of the dropping popularity.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the popularity is dropping because coaches have no targets.

Ranked has (easier) teambuilding, Majors, Minors & Coach Ranking.

Blackbox has the ability to create fast match-ups.

Many of the coaches that wanted Blackbox wanted it so we could find a coaches true ranking, rather than the CR in Ranked which can be skewed somewhat. Since we have no access to Blackbox Ranking, what target does that leave them?
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

it might be a bit of everything, including the racial diversity.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Due to the 6-coach threshold, [B] needs to maintain a critical mass of coaches else you won't be able to get a game.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2009 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Good points.

Give us Ranking and give us Mayors.

Is it wrong with both ranked and Black box?
Ranked for the one that want to chose to play against what they want and Blackbox for no chosing what so ever.

I know that i should play both if there was ranking and Mayors in blackbox.

But I dont want to lose ranked.
 Jump to: