60 coaches online • Server time: 22:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I admit that I might have missed the point of blackbox entirely.

I was thinking, that the purpose of this division is to get casual, fair games easily, without whining or worrying about cherry-picking - even if you play against khemri or *gasp* dwarfs once in a while.

To me, it's quite exciting to play games against teams of an unknown race and roster. On top of that, back then, I used to enjoy the eternal struggle in faction between my pro elfs and legions of orc teams, and I'm a big fan of dwarf/orc derbies as well. Neither do I need nor expect a balanced mix of races to play against, and I'd rather play 10 times against dorf/khemri/orcs than once against amazons. Wink

Well, considering some of the spiteful flaming and deliberate misinterpretations in this thread, I guess that I have been completely mistaken with regard to the purpose of this division, therefore I'd like to apologize for stirring up this discussion in the first place.

Incidentally, I was activating fragile pro elves almost 90% of the time, therefore there is absolutely no need for further malevolent imputations regarding my motives why I participated in the division.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
I was thinking, that the purpose of this division is to get casual, fair games easily, without whining or worrying about cherry-picking - even if you play against khemri or *gasp* dwarfs once in a while.

To me, it's quite exciting to play games against teams of an unknown race and roster. On top of that, back then, I used to enjoy the eternal struggle in faction between my pro elfs and legions of orc teams, and I'm a big fan of dwarf/orc derbies as well. Neither do I need nor expect a balanced mix of races to play against, and I'd rather play 10 times against dorf/khemri/orcs than once against amazons. Wink

Now that we've got that sorted out, perhaps in future you can keep your reasonable, elitist, level-headed, elf-hating, unarguable, flamebait opinions to yourself rather than starting [B] threads with them, hmm?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
I admit that I might have missed the point of blackbox entirely.

Well, considering some of the spiteful flaming and deliberate misinterpretations in this thread, I guess that I have been completely mistaken with regard to the purpose of this division, therefore I'd like to apologize for stirring up this discussion in the first place.

Incidentally, I was activating fragile pro elves almost 90% of the time, therefore there is absolutely no need for further malevolent imputations regarding my motives why I participated in the division.

Note that I never used Frankenstein in my posts. I was not accusing you as a DivB player. I was addressing your initial post where you seemed to imply that the racial composition of DivB is ok as it is and will adjust over time. And that durable races are more performing.
I was just trying to dig onto those statements to see why it is so. I was not calling "you" a pixel hugger Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %19, %2009 - %21:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

That is indeed my question.
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2009 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

No thread about Bashing In Blackbox would be complete without a reminder that TS is used for scheduling and it overestimates the abilities of badly battered teams. Consider yourselves reminded.
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:
No thread about Bashing In Blackbox would be complete without a reminder that TS is used for scheduling and it overestimates the abilities of badly battered teams. Consider yourselves reminded.

consider your MOM reminded!

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you just joining us, allow me to sum up:

1) it was put forward that the makeup in [B] is fine, because that is the general make up of the population of teams (in a rather inflammatory way)

2) all hell broke lose as everyone called everyone else names like cheerleaders fighting over the prom king (but he's soooo dreamy)

3) the proposal of forcing coaches to pick from different groups was brought up, it being the most closely approaching sensible of all the proposals about [B] postulated lately.

4) no consensus was acheived.

While this topic has come up a lot, and predates the formation of [B] by several years, it's relevence to [B] is significant for obvious reasons. And there is no reason why [B] has to have the same dogged comitment to "openess" that Ranked (for example) clings to. Rather than going back and forth for the next 4 years about this, what I propose is a referendum. have the various parties put together a detailed proposal of how they want [B] to organize itself, and submit it to an admin by PM*. The admin will weed out the ones that are unworkable, and post the rest with a poll attached, open for a week or so. If any idea is good enough to gain a bare majority (that's 50% +1 folks) then that's what we go with. If not, we stay in the 'open' system we have now.

From then on in, we will have a strong picture of what [B] is, and we can refer any complaints to the relevant thread.

*the only fly in the ointment is we may run in to the problem that stunty did when they introduced new teams, where dozens of people who've never played stunty screwed up the results. if we could figure out a way to weight the results by number of [B] games played, that would be ideal.

Anyway, this is my modest proposal, I suspect it won't be accepted because it's my feeling that no one actually wants positive change, all they want is the sit and grouse like old ladies at bridge.

*this wouldn't be a question of bowl bot and how matches are picked. This is another and equally relevant question, but outside the scope of what I'm proposing.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
Lomack

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

my dwarves are always fun to play against.
I think!
Draxus

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

No! Lets not make people play races that they don't want to play... lets however get some programmed code... to chose skills ups that the coach doesn't want. For example nerves of steel on dwarf doubles...
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Snappy for that sum-up.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it's fair to frame it as being "Forced" to play races, as they will be pretty broad categories. Having one team in [B] is hardly a hardship.

Another idea I struck on is poll the numbers, create a group of "unpopular" teams, and make it so every coach needs to field at least one of these choices. If it really is variety that is being pursued, not "waaahhh, my elves got smashed again by the mean ol Black Box", then that's the best way to do it.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
I don't think it's fair to frame it as being "Forced" to play races, as they will be pretty broad categories. Having one team in [B] is hardly a hardship.

Another idea I struck on is poll the numbers, create a group of "unpopular" teams, and make it so every coach needs to field at least one of these choices. If it really is variety that is being pursued, not "waaahhh, my elves got smashed again by the mean ol Black Box", then that's the best way to do it.

That's a pretty neat idea, actually.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2009 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
TheCetusProject wrote:

consider your MOM reminded!

this needs quatations!
fenric

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2009 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

I am not a fan of a rule where you have to submit different teams to blackbox if you don't want to.

Why do we have this rule, anyway? Why can't we just activate one team? I don't want to retire my goblins, but I'd really like to get some games with some flings.
 Jump to: