28 coaches online • Server time: 08:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Last night, after many many weeks of sulking, I finally recovered from my last batch of ridiculously bad dice, and was ready to make my 'Triumphant Return'.

Rather than play my teams that I have gotten so attached to, I decided to start from scratch, and get overly attached to some brand new team. I wanted to be different, I wanted to be new, I wanted to be crazy!! So, in complete deviance from my standby Dark Elves, I went with Chaos Dwarves.

In my lifetime, I have played a total of 2 games with Chaos Dwarves. They are slow, clumsy, and awkward, to me. BUT, they give my elves all kinds of trouble, so I figure it would help me become a better well-rounded player.

Which leads me to my point. I hit the chatroom. Type my BB lfg [team name] and wait.

It doesn't take long for a couple more bowlbot requests to go by, but it does take a while for a team within 50 TR of my brand new team to pop up.

The first one that does, is actually within 20 TR and 15 STR. "Decent match" I think to myself. "I know elves don't like dwarves, but he has a clear advantage, and my team is new."

So in the room, I offer him the matchup, And wait.

And wait.

No response, not even a "No" or a "I hate dwarves" or a "No because your mom is ugly." Nothing.

Second query. Brand new Chaos team. Offer him a game, and wait.

And wait. and wait.

Not even a "Go suck yourself" or a "Not right now, I am busy doing your sister."

Third Query. Chaos team with 40 TR on me. At least 20 Str. I am annoyed by now, and desperate for a game. I offer, and wait.

and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait.

This time there was a "Go suck yourself" but I said it, and only to myself, because frankly I was annoyed.

NOW, I UNDERSTAND that Chaos Dwarves are not one of the most popular opponents. and I UNDERSTAND that it is a "feature" of the internet that you can be flat out rude without getting socked in the face.

But honestly guys. Can we work on two way replies, at least once. At least a courtesy "No."? Is it really so hard to give an answer? I am not talking about responding to every question done by a person, a simple "no" would do.

Asperon Thorn
Delta

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

No. Wink
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, sometimes people don't respond because they've gone IG. If I'm not IG, I'll almost always at least say no thanks.

I'll try the same if I am IG usually, but since I use the java chat tool and it pops to the front when someone messages me, sometimes I close the window or some such right away since I am focusing on the game.

My own pet peeve is people who won't play against my lizards because they are too bashy - what with their 1.1 CAS/g. Smile I have no problem with people turning down games for almost any reason...but come on!!!
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

You have to remember 2 things. First, there are people that idle in the channel even when they are not at the keyboard, and second, most people are idling in the channel and not watching it when they are playing a game. I would not be at all suprised if the people you PM'd were simply off playing other games and didn't see your requests.

The Finishing Touch
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't PM a single person, I responded to people that typed "BB lfg" and then made the request in the room. I offered the game seconds after thier bowlbot request. THIER REQUEST.

I am very aware of the number of idle or IG users.

Asperon Thorn
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you also considered the possible newness of the coach? Or the fact that they may be using javairc and not know how to find your name on their list to send a direct reply? There are other possibilities to be sure, but if it was outright rudeness, then I agree you or any coach deserve better.
Winter_Silverfox

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Asperon can be that you talked in the open room,as in my case I often go and type bb lfg then switch over to the fummbl homepage to look for who in faction or in cups to look for, so I often miss alot of whats written in the open forum even if I just typed bb lfg.
Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Asperon - I ( as well as others I assume) have found the same thing as you. At first it appears that people are too chicken shit to turn down a game request and choose to ignore instead. However, there could be other reasons as noted above. I think it's a good idea if people do more of Mully-afk or Mully-ig on mIRC so that these miscommunications don't happen as much.

Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

although I'm inclined to ignore "your amazons vs my chaos dwarves?" when their team has 20 higher strength. If I do reply it's along the lines of "my girls don't like being raped"

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

waaaaaaa waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa poor thornyworny does he want some cheese to go with that whine, i would play him but i have retired all my teams Mr. Green
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I remember when I still had the chance to play, I guess that many "ignore" due to the need to explain themselves for hours [I only have so and so many tacklers/POs etc., they won't hurt you]. I do know the problem though, playing both types of teams. I guess those kill, kill fanatics just don't like seeing their own players being hurt as well Smile.

-Mnemon
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, yesterday went much better.

I asked 3 people (in the open room) for a game. One declined because of bashyness, and one informed me that he had already found a game, the third accepted. All three had closure, and I felt better for it. I guess what I am trying to say in the first post is; the days in which people accepted that not everyone wants to play everyone are over. And as such, the days in which people felt the courtesy to say, "No" are over as well.

Too bad really.

Asperon Thorn
Uriel

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say i think it's just polite to reply and i make an effort to reply to every game request i get. If i decline i try to give an explaination if i have the time. Courtesy cost nothing and makes the world in general a better place.
Bretter

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I always reply, even if I don't want to play. I think that's just common sense. Hell, If I went IG, I'll reply when I finally do see the note.
mojaka

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2003 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Hear hear!
 Jump to: