21 coaches online • Server time: 01:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
2003 Rules Review
Not Crappy!
28%
 28%  [ 51 ]
Wait and See 'tude.
44%
 44%  [ 81 ]
Crappy!
27%
 27%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 181

cusi

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Cortex wrote:

The changes are there, whining about them won't change anything, so let's just be curious to see their consequences.

sure whining will
whine loudly
for a year straight
and see the next rules review!

Last edited by cusi on %b %26, %2003 - %02:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Quickly everyone, get pro for all your big guys before javabowl is updated...

Too late, skills are done on site, and it has already been changed.

The Finishing Touch
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Cortex wrote:

The new WA rules make sense. . . .it injects new tactical possibilities in the game.

Funny I thought it did the complete opposite.

First, when facing the choice between a Mino and a Troll for a CD team, You no longer have the abstract choice of 'Blocker or Blitzer?' It is now replaced, with 'Blocker or Regenerating blocker'

Secondly, Wild animal traps were tough, but many coaches developed tactics to prevent them. There are is no longer a need for tactics regarding one of the most devestating attacks on a big guy.

Thirdly, you have taken two of the most unique big guys and transformed them into Ogres. More Big Guys that sit on the line and dish out punishment from just a few squares from where they started. Or maybe they are better compared to treemen, since Pro is now a trait, a 50% chance of moving one is pretty low, especcially since you still have to move them first if you are going to.

Fourthly, Horns = total waste.

Sadly, the risk of using a WA hasn't changed, just the part that made the risk interesting.

UrienRakarth wrote:

And what about dwarves? All with PO now will rox!

A dwarven team with all PO already rocks!! in a sense. The thing is, a Dwarven team with all Guard wins games. Same in Both Cases.

Asperon Thorn
Colin

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Still only 2 Blitzers for Dwarfs <sniff>...bang goes my dream of a Dwarf team that at least could try to play ball...
Necros now look a bit weak; let's see how they do in Open.
Big Guys are now relegated to the hulking but not very useful lumps they always should have been, though Minos now look a bit useless - at least you are guaranteed the hit, unlike the now Pro-less Ogres and Trolls. A lot of teams lost the Ogre, btw. Not a biggie.

Quote:
Q: Can you use re-rolls when rolling for Shadowing and Pro?
A: Yes.

So now you can use your Re-rolls in your opponents turn?

Quote:
Q: Can a player who has no tackle zone assist blocks (assuming he is not in an enemy tackle zone)?
A: Yes.

We expected this not to be the case, as it was counter-intuitive. Only an issue with BGs and Vamp opponents.
whitey

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Um i think wild animals don't have to movefirst anymore, reducing any element of flavour these guys have. i hope the ski doesn't get these implemnted fast, so the wild pact challenge can play out while there is still something to seperate the 3 big guys.
James

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see something quite right with the new WA rules. WA means you want to hit things. But now you can't Blitz reliablely enough to bother. It seems to me that if you don't choose block or Blitz as your action the WA should just stand there. Blitzing is still throwing blocks, at least it seems to be that way. Of all the "corrections" WA and the fewer teams with ogres seem to be out of context within the fluff of BloodBowl.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

"If you declare any action other than Block with a Wild Animal, roll a D6. "

I sincerely hope a Blitz comes under the umbrella title of Block. Otherwise I'm having a tanty.
More fishmongering Big Guys slapping themselves over the heads with an assortment of seafood treats instead of playing...seems odd - Wild Animals should be kicking arse or getting their arse kicked not standing around. I would have loved to see something like blocking your own team if an opponent is not in range:)

Then again I can see where the Pro Trait was coming from - Pity my Kroxy didn't get it before it needed doubles:)

Piling On is better now although I regret that it is no longer related to strength. Be interesting to see if the ability to stay up and throw a block sooner will balance out the reduced injury probability.

Undead team should have been killed off completely (Badoomp-ching!) - It's boring to play and boring to play against.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

imho, the wild animal changes made the minotaurs completely useless. say their a great hitter as much as you want, - no one in their right mind will keep anyone upright next to the minotaur, knowing that 1/2 the time the minotaur will just stand there like an idiot, and you can't do anything about it. even a dwarf team will try to move that 2 agility longbeard away from the minotaur most of the time. combine that with the fact that that no one will ever be able to blitz with the minotaur (unless your an idiot), and when your minotaurs get knocked down, they stay down for basically the rest of the drive. I know their trying to make big guys a lot less useful, but for pete sakes, theres a difference between making something a lot less useful and completely useless.

I understand they made some changes to piling on, but i still think its messed up that a goblin with piling on hurts just as much as a black orc piling on to you or a chaos warrior Confused I'd think that someone who weighs half a ton, like a minotaur or an ogre or some knight in full plate falling on top of you would hurt a little bit more than a 30 pound halfling Confused
Wombats

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

"but i still think its messed up that a goblin with piling on hurts just as much as a black orc piling on to you or a chaos warrior"

Only real factor is the stacker's ability to knock 'em down in the first place and the stackee's armour.

A good change for non-bashy teams and heading the way I'd like to see BB in general go (e.g. Elves can play dwarves/chaos/undead in Open and not being saving up for the next three games to recover). Maybe we need life insurance for players?

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Changes to undead. Boo Hiss Boo. Im thinkin it will be hard to have a high str undead team and be competitive...

But im an idiot so what do i know? The wild animal rules seem pretty poor. Lose a lot of tactical options both for and against em, and almost completley reverse how you play em..

I liked the idea of changing piling on, but the change seems silly to not include some reference to str.

Have halfling chefs become free? or at least perm? they might be fun, even without the ogre if so...

Anyway, enough whining. I am not happy about many of the changes but thats ok. Once you get used to em, make up new tactics and all, im sure they will work out fine.

Still want 4 wights tho..

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well of course Deathgerbill you need to give your mino tackle (and hopefully tentacles)

Oscar Wilde
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

minos with tentacles will rule on the LOS... and decent coaches should be able to find a way to create chain pushes towards their mino. but trolls are still the best big guy for what you pay and what you get for a LOS blocker...
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting Rules Review. Not really liking the WA change, but I can live with Piling On being an armour re-roll.

The werewolves using Claw instead of RSC seems to be a nasty change though. My two werewolves have got 10 casaulties between them in three games. Even if you don't want to create nasty death causing werewolves, they easily slice through armour like swiss cheese. And with Frenzy it's just plain evil.

Pro of course will be missed, and when I roll doubles I'm sure my big guys will be taking more devestating skills instead. I'm with whoever said Pro should be 3+ instead of 4+ due to it being a trait.

It's great that the Undead are still here but the whole Wight dilemna sucks. Probably won't ever use the Undead again.

Have to wait and see how everything goes after a month or so. Never really was a fan of the Khemri team, not looking forward to being plagued by offers in Open from them now. Confused

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons, all the elves and undeads (even if they have mummies) haven't too and they live (or unlive Very Happy) pretty well!

Quote:
Uhm dwarves doesn't have anymore a big guy...

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2003 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest omission was anything at all about the Handicaps or even Kick-Off tables. We all know SkiJunkie was holding off on the Handicap table for precisely the reason that he thought it would be changed in the rule review. Along with the Dwarf Runesmith, he'll have his work cut out adding a whole new set of features for in-game, pre-kickoff events.

With the change to Wild Animal, I'm surprised there was no change for Take Root - the Halflings losing the Ogres means they'll be back to the old problem of starting a quarter of their games with no Trees. Meanwhile, the Woodies and Old World teams will be quite happy they show up at half-time to effortlessly smack around all the other now much-crappier BGs.

I agree that Pro needs improvement to make it at all tempting for non-BGs now, changing it from 4+ to 3+ does seem the best way.