36 coaches online • Server time: 14:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Daragor

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just played a woody team which had a catcher with multiple block and dauntless. During the game he kept on blocking with that catcher, which is fine, the dauntless worked more often than not. However a tactic used was to set the player against 2 of mine which were adjacent to each other, get an assist on one, he would then make the block and the resulting 2 dice roll would be applied to both even though in most cases the 2 player was stronger than the blocking catcher. Is this a bug or is this the norm cos if so i'm getting me one of those cos they are awesome.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Solution: Kick the catcher to death.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

Some others races have even horns. Like this you don't need the assist to have two dices.(on a blitz)

It is not soo easy to have such a combination for a catcher WE...
You need 2 times a double=>
-Dauntless (T)
-Multiple Block (Force)

You need first an assit, lost a player movement. Secondly, don't forget you need at least higher than the ST of the opponnent. An average of 6. So you need 7. This means that it is only 58% to be able to block and so 42% to have two dices vs you. After that you sill need to pow...

I would put more this on a lineman than an catcher. The purpose of the catcher is to score not to block. I think that a better combination with 2 doubles for a catcher WE would be:
-Nerves of Steel(T)
-Jump Up(T)

Very Happy Cool
deneb
Sinner

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought catcher go best with strength increases ?? Very Happy

but in fact WE catchers make great cleaners... btw the chance of succeeding with a lino with that combination looks the same to me, cuz he has to make the same rolls and you loose the two extra movement. I thinks it´s awesome but also the scoring machine rocks a lot

Cheers

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Dauntless is, IMO, a bit too good on low Strength players. I'd rather see you roll a D6, add your strength and if the total beats your opponent's strength then you count as the same.

That means S3 vs S4 is the same.
S3 vs S5 is slightly harder (66% vs ~70%)
S3 vs S6 is slightly harder (50% vs ~60%)

However it completely messes up S2 players blocking high S players - and makes the Multiple Block combo a lot less effective too.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember the first ever FUMBBL WE catcher with Dauntless...we all made fun of the coach, but his opinion was "What the hell, I'll try it anyway". Since then, we've come to realise he wasn't so dumb after all; Dauntless is one of the best double-roll choices you can give a WE catcher (or any fast str 2 player) - it effectively adds a third Wardancer to the roster. Now that Multiple Block has been clarified in the rules and added to the client (it wasn't back then), it's a rare but potent combination. Add Horns (Gutter Runners and Beastmen, usually) and it just gets silly.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

No doubt about the power of dauntless ...

dauntless against an unique player is great and powerfull. and as you said, WE catcher can become a good virtual WD.This is nice because of the propability to beat 3 ST (or 4) is very high 92% (and 83%). But this is to hit one specific player which has certainly the ball.

In this case, it was the combination "dauntless/mulitple block", which I think is a too risky combo (58% to succeed before blocking) to use it in a blocker combination.

Very Happy Cool
deneb
MixX

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Besides, I think the question was whether this was the way it should be (get an assist on two people and get two dice) and the answer is: yes, it is the correct way! You just need one assist on one of the blocked players, and you get 2 dice.. this is very nice for dwarves with Troll Slayers (start with Dauntless and Multiple Block is a normal skill roll, plus lots of Guard around in the form of Long Beards)..
Fudge

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

This shoulden´t work since it says when blocking an oponent on the dantless trait so this is clearly a bug.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually it does work correctly as it is now. Yes, dauntless says when blocking AN opponent, but Multiple Block says to Add both opponent's strengths together and treat as a single block. Single block translates to AN opponent.

The Dauntless text wasn't written specifically regarding MB but it does still work together. Think of how confusing and useless the whole skill section would be if each skill tried to cover every possible combination. It would be unreadable.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the player here:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=477703

He blocked with him every chance he got? He doesn't even have Block yet; any failed Dauntless roll would almost certainly spell disaster.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Where do you get the fact that it is the way it is supposed to work?
It would more likely point to the fact that you can not use dauntless when blocking more then one player, if following what the text says.
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Only one casualty so far though, so he can't be that good. Needs block obviously, but Mighty Blow, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, nice!!!
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2003 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Actually it does work correctly as it is now. Yes, dauntless says when blocking AN opponent, but Multiple Block says to Add both opponent's strengths together and treat as a single block. Single block translates to AN opponent..

Personally, I don't buy this argument at all. An opponent is one person, trying to read two players into that text strikes me as nothing more than rules lawyering at it's worst. Yes, it is a single block, however that block is against two opponents. Is there some official clarification that says these skills work together in this way? If not, I'd certainly say that they shouldn't, and see if I can get Skijunkie to change it.

an

\An\ ([a^]n). [AS. [=a]n one, the same word as the numeral. See One, and cf. {A}.] This word is properly an adjective, but is commonly called the indefinite article. It is used before nouns of the singular number only, and signifies one.

The Finishing Touch
cataphract

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2003 - 03:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're putting too much of an emphasis on the word 'an'. Yes 'an' refers to a single opponent but the rules for blocking state

"instead of moving a player may throw a block at AN opposing player who is in an adjacent square"

the 'an' in th dauntless skill is derived from the an in the block section of the rule book, it says an because, normally, you can only ever block AN opponent.

Multiple block allows you to block more than one opponent, and therefore supercedes the normal rules.