21 coaches online • Server time: 08:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eddy

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently, Christer doesn't think it's a problem that some team purposely lower their chance to win in order to outbash and trash teams with a similar TS but focusing on winning. From what i saw in chat, he didn't seem to think the rebate for 0/1 RR was a problem. To be completely accurate, his answer was "Do the same, then."

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
Apparently, Christer doesn't think it's a problem that some team purposely lower their chance to win in order to outbash and trash teams with a similar TS but focusing on winning. From what i saw in chat, he didn't seem to think the rebate for 0/1 RR was a problem. To be completely accurate, his answer was "Do the same, then."

The Rebate is IMO, ok, not the leader thing IMO.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
7. If the two teams are of the same race, multiply suitability by 0.97

I don't want to make a big fuzz about it, but this favours dwarf, khemri and orc players:

If you don't want to play against khemri: Play khemri!

If you don't want to play against orcs: Play orcs!

If you don't want to play against dwarfs: Play dwarfs!

To me this seems a bit unfair to those coaches who deliberately choose unpopular rosters to play with.

Example:

Scheduler wants to pair khemri, khemri, human, elf in a specific TR range. Normally it would choose human vs. elf and khemri vs. khemri. However, due to the modifier, games switch to khemri vs. human and khemri vs. elfs. Human and elf coaches get punished, khemri coaches are rewarded. Not necessary, in my opinion.
Fama

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't want to play random games, but instead want to dodge khemri, ors or dwarves, maybe you shouldn't play in the random games division?

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
The Rebate is IMO, ok, not the leader thing IMO.

I was not giving my own opinion, just stating what i read =)

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
If you don't want to play random games, but instead want to dodge khemri, ors or dwarves, maybe you shouldn't play in the random games division?

But, by the same degree I can see his point, as currently it's not really random.

In a true random division, the whole not playing against the same race thing shouldn't be an issue.

If you don't want to play Orcs versus Orcs, then you are restricting your selection of games, which is exactly what ranked is for.

If you want a random opponent out of the pool, the same as league, then it sould not matter that it's the same race.

You can forget the whole 'benefits Orcs and Khemri' argument, but the core issue is still the same.
xcver

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:

If this was really his answer it doesn't make sense, cause if you plan on winning 0 rerolls is not helping, so I should equip my elves with 0 rr to get a better ts and lessen my chances of winning for the sake of ts optimization?

I don't even know what the rebate is trying to accomplish? Help teams out that deliberately frontload?

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
If this was really his answer it doesn't make sense, cause if you plan on winning 0 rerolls is not helping, so I should equip my elves with 0 rr to get a better ts and lessen my chances of winning for the sake of ts optimization?

I don't even know what the rebate is trying to accomplish? Help teams out that deliberately frontload?

Well, precisely. I believe his point is that teams with only 0 or 1 RR are significantly hampered when trying to win, and that this is naturally reflected in TS. Personally, i'm not sure i disagree with this opinion, but I think it's worth debating if the extra skills you get are worth the loss of RR. Likewise, the fact that Leader doesn't cancel the rebate is up to debate.

Since Christer answered my question yesterday, i believed it might be interesting for the community to know it. I did not intend to start the debate again (there is a thread dedicated to that question).

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
Well, precisely. I believe his point is that teams with only 0 or 1 RR are significantly hampered when trying to win, and that this is naturally reflected in TS.

which ofc is moot when the teams don't have win as first priority.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal opinion is that the "0 RR" thing, especially with Leader, is way too easy for teams that solely focus on bashing, so i think we have the same view on this. The point of my original post was merely to give what i understood as Christer's point of view.

(PS: you've got a PM, xcver Wink )

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont erally care about the 0 RR + leader thingy... Any team with only 1 RR usually fails something. But I wouldnt mind playing more skaven vs skaven games, which usually tend to be fun, high scoring and lots of casualties.
westerner

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
A couple of questions for everyone (I'm not sure about the answers myself):

Doesn't removing the BBR (Blackbox Bash Rating) give milder conditions for teams focusing purely on slaughter?

As I understood it BBR didn't have much net effect on scheduling previously. It was heavily outweighed by BR, as others said.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason why the mirror-factor was introduced, if I remember correctly:
Due to the racial chart, it`s virutally impossible to end up with a 0TS difference if you have different races. That means, that mirror matches are favoured by the scheduler because they are more likely to result in smaller TS differences due to no modification by the racial chart.
Thus this mirror-factor was included to remove the bias FOR mirror matches. Though I think it was overdone and 0.99 or 0.985 would be sufficient.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:
A couple of questions for everyone (I'm not sure about the answers myself):

Doesn't removing the BBR (Blackbox Bash Rating) give milder conditions for teams focusing purely on slaughter?

As I understood it BBR didn't have much net effect on scheduling previously. It was heavily outweighed by BR, as others said.

Removing BBR and BR means teams that focus on causing cas (high BBR) but don't care about winning games (low BR) now get TOUGHER matches than before. In the old system as BR counted triple, over time they would get easier and easier matches. Now they get even TS matches like everyone else.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
The reason why the mirror-factor was introduced, if I remember correctly:
Due to the racial chart, it`s virutally impossible to end up with a 0TS difference if you have different races. That means, that mirror matches are favoured by the scheduler because they are more likely to result in smaller TS differences due to no modification by the racial chart.
Thus this mirror-factor was included to remove the bias FOR mirror matches. Though I think it was overdone and 0.99 or 0.985 would be sufficient.

Ah, I see.

Interesting, thx.
 Jump to: