39 coaches online • Server time: 10:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

After having taken a mini-break I came back to discover that the games in Blackbox have dropped off quite alot.

Now, it might be because of the Major taking place, or it could be that the new toy syndrome has gone, but I wonder if Blackbox having a lack of a target has had any impact on this.

Now that BR is no longer part of the scheduling formula, there is no real reason for it to remain hidden. Could we therefore perhaps show this ranking to at least give coaches something to track their progress on?

I know others will have thought for Majors and the like, but does anyone else agree that showing BR might actually give B games more meaning?

(On a different subject, I personally get very frustrated activating one team, yet being forced to play another. I understand the reasoning behind it, but have trimmed my Blackbox teams down to 1 to avoid this happening)
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Duke, I was just thinking the same.

At present BlackBox is a little bit like [U], only with automatic scheduling.

A BR list would be a great start and I imagine easy to implement.

(I think you should bring the activation question up separately).

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Enar

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't look to be related to anything in particular. Most likely there was a lot of games played initally, now the fad is cooling down, to eventually pan out and stabilize, at what level remains to be seen. Noteworthy is that last week was the 4:th time in BBox history with an increase in games played compared to the former week (and that includes the obvious 1:st week)
Lithuran

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I've created a goal of having an active team with the most spare cash.

I'm winning so far!!!
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Or we could have a monthly competition on who is highest in the championship, with only BDiv games played (since B games seem to count for that). Why go back to ranked since we got B!
clarkin

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. Now it's not part of the scheduler it would be great to see your BR (w/ a seperate blackbox coach standing page) and/or a B only monthly championship.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Jay for [R] the devision we all like to hate but in the end we all come crawling back to it!

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
Or we could have a monthly competition on who is highest in the championship, with only BDiv games played (since B games seem to count for that). Why go back to ranked since we got B!

One question mark with this idea: I think the championship table still uses the [R] CR to calculate the difficulty of your games. If BR was used I'd like your idea, but with CR in the equation I think it doesn't work.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Development stalled on B for a long time (a busy time of year and only Christer is able to work on it) and there were outstanding problems that were possibly blown out of proportion. I do think B needs an individual team rating (this could be used as the basis for racial ladders and one global team ladder) that would incentivise winning, racial diversity and just make the place more fun.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think majors has to do with it too. When you play a major, you have to build your team.

Then, we are doing some bad advertising for blackbox.

Whinge, whinge, always Khemris and dorfs...
Whinge, whinge, nothing to win...
Tactical threads about the cheapest way to spare some TS...

Of course, I'm guilty of such whinging too but if you don't try Blackbox, what do you think?

It's a division full of lame massive DP cherrypickers who tries at everycost to exploit a TS formula.

Which is, of course, not what I live here.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

maznaz wrote:
I do think B needs an individual team rating (this could be used as the basis for racial ladders and one global team ladder) that would incentivise winning, racial diversity and just make the place more fun.

Best idea I've heard so far.

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %04, %2009 - %14:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 14:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
....Then, we are doing some bad advertising for blackbox.
... but if you don't try Blackbox, what do you think?...

It's a division full of lame massive DP cherrypickers who tries at everycost to exploit a TS formula.

yup. Since the BR left it appeals a lot more, but that perception is keeping me out certainly.

just seems 0 fun. Full of min/maxing psychotic fouly McKillathon coaches that revel in being unable to be avoided while seeking to exploit any loophole they can, to still be gaining any small advantage they can eeek out of the system.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:
....Then, we are doing some bad advertising for blackbox.
... but if you don't try Blackbox, what do you think?...

yup. Since the BR left it appeals a lot more, but that perception is keeping me out certainly.

just seems 0 fun. Full of min/maxing psychotic fouly McKillathon coaches that revel in being unable to be avoided while seeking to exploit any loophole they can, to still be gaining any small advantage they can eeek out of the system.

Bah so far, I haven't encountered so many guys of this type. So far, I am satisfied. Ok, I don't play that much elfbowl so far, but:

>The best coaches don't do TS optimisation (the biggest option is to play without rerolls and I don't imagine the best coaches accepting to rely on luck. And when facing them, if you force them to roll, you can take over the TS advantage. (except flings who steals your own rerolls)
>The foulers and team killers are a minority. Well, I don't know at high TS, but in 25 games, I haven't played one yet.
>What a pleasure not to have to select an opponent for all those:
-Am I cherrypicking?
-beeing the cherry?
-Is he too good for me to play at 10 TS down
-It's a recovery, this 170 will best me out with my small squad

and so on, and so...

I love Blackbox

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

Well, take me for example. I think "playing TS" is ok. I argued for it at length in the other thread.
And yet, look at my teams. Maybe i'm mistaken, and you WILL find them abusive and 0 fun, but i don't think so. And we are quite a lot like that. You get to face the odd jerk, like everywhere, but generally, it's a nice place.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2009 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The teamwreckers might be a problem. I haven't met many of them so far, but it would probably be enough to be forced through a couple of matches in a row against heavy fouling multi-dp teams for my interest to run dry.

The downside is that activity in League is lower than ever and Ranked has just become a despicable place where I often spend 20-25 minutes without getting a single match that I feel is a fair match-up, so if my interest in Blackbox is wrecked I'm a bit worried that I might lose interest in Fumbbl alltogether.

I would really, really like to see that merge between U and L and private tournaments in Stunty league.

Well, this really has nothing to do with the Blackbox division...
 Jump to: