22 coaches online • Server time: 02:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would being able to select your Blackbox team affect you?
I play Blackbox; this wouldn't affect me.
34%
 34%  [ 21 ]
I play Blackbox; this would make me play more.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I play Blackbox; this would make me create more teams.
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
I play Blackbox; this would make me create more teams *and* play more.
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
I play Blackbox; this would make me play less.
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
I don't play Blackbox; this wouldn't affect me.
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
I don't play Blackbox; this would make me think about giving it a go.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Other / You left out my answer you nitwit!
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 61

Chingis

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Team preference has been discussed in regard to Blackbox, and what tweaking this might do to the popularity/team variety of the division. So, rather than guessing how the majority would react, here's a slightly more scientific way of gauging public opinion.

The question is:
If the Blackbox gamefinder was changed to only pick an unpreferred team if your preferred team couldn't be matched at all, how would this affect you?
(In other words, starting a second team wouldn't reduce the chances of playing games with the team you already had.)
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

one option on that poll
I wont play blackbox until i can choose the team i use

id imagine theres bound to be someone thinking that

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It might make you think you would play more but would most likely end up giving more uneven matches, whether in your favor or not. I think any more than the current preferance would end up giving your preferred team a match more often, but also keeping closer matches from happening.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I would very much prefer to be able to choose which teams to play and which not, even if I missed a round by that. Unfortunately, your poll lacks that option.
NNNChef

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Chingis wrote:

The question is:
If the Blackbox gamefinder was changed to only pick an unpreferred team if your preferred team couldn't be matched at all, how would this affect you?
(In other words, starting a second team wouldn't reduce the chances of playing games with the team you already had.)

This would be a very bad idea, since scheduling would be very hard. The more teams a coach has the easier can the scheduling be done. At the moment there are just to few coaches per round. When we have, let's say 20 or more coaches per round, then scheduling would be easier.
Ghazkhull

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

But maybe there would be more coaches if team-picking would be allowed in [B],
so it would be easier to schedule them.
I would like to pick my team , because sometimes you are in a special mode ,which can only be satisfied by aspecial team,(you know what i mean)

Greetings Ghazkhull
Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 19:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I think it would be fine if there were a minimum number of teams required before you could exclude the rest. For example, if you were required to Activate three teams (or all if you have fewer than three), then perhaps you would be allowed to exclude the rest. I think this is a more reasonable solution for the scheduler to work with.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2009 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter Thorpe wrote:
Quote:

I wont play blackbox until i can choose the team i use

You can already do that...its called just making one team.
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

This approach would require an option to activate all teams without preference (as there should be anyway). Those who would rather have the best possible match over a match with a particular team should be accomodated.
ChrisB

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

team-picking/cherry-picking - I sense a common theme....
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, my likely oppo always has 3 teams, Orcs, Dwarves or Khemri anyway. Come on get some rats Very Happy
johan

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

This would make me play less, since it would lead to a lot more unbalanced matchups. The current system is good.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Allowing you to select your teams but making you activate at least three teams would work pretty well. It probably wouldnt help racial diversity that much but I think it would increase the number of teams made available to the box and would make some people happier about using the box (myself included).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Less teams means worse matchups. We need to bring more teams into the scheduler, not less.

I think more beneficial would be a TS bonus for 'single teams'. If a coach has only 1 [B]team, then this team has its TS increased by 5. If a coach has 2 teams, then those teams have their TS increased by 2. If a coach has more than 3 teams, he only has to enter 3 teams. For racial diversity reasons, one might want to replace the word 'team' with the word 'race'
johan

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2009 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Allowing you to select your teams but making you activate at least three teams would work pretty well. It probably wouldnt help racial diversity that much but I think it would increase the number of teams made available to the box and would make some people happier about using the box (myself included).

I think this would be fine.

An alternative would be being allowed to "hibernate" a team, as discusssed in another thread. Sometimes you just don't want to play with that team right now...

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: