62 coaches online • Server time: 22:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stormbolt

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Please reconsider the set 20 point difference in TS!

This may be fine once you've gotten the team to 150+ish (I wouldn't know, none of my 4 teams have made it that far before retirement...), but at startup it's devastating. Getting a team started is enough of an uphill battle as it is, but the gap being so big sticks you in situation that totally wrecks the fun.

Why not shorten the gap for new teams, say first 5 matches and then increase it to 20TS? Not taking measures of some sort will probably lead to a lack of coaches in the higher TR/TS, and how much fun is it playing the same 5 guys over and over again?
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

stormbolt wrote:
[...] how much fun is it playing the same 5 guys over and over again?

That very much depends on who these particular 5 guys are, I'd say.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 21:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the maximum TS difference is 15 (including handicaps at 5 per), and the scheduler will do its best to try to find even games for all coaches in the current draw. It's a matter of getting a somewhat unbalanced matchup sometimes versus not getting matches at all.
stormbolt

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I unserstand the mechanic of the game, what I'm saying is; try to see this in the long run; You have to make the box appealing to as many ppl as possible, not only the same crowd you find in all the other leagues, tournaments... whatever. If the startup is the worst part of the box, how many coaches will quit trying before they even get a decent team?

It's basic marketing! Unless the whole point of the box is to make it interesting only for those 5 coaches mentioned earlier...?
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The issues keeping people away from Blackbox have nothing to do with this. In all honesty, I think it has missed it's chance to be a good division, and the number of coaches involved either has or soon will drop below the critical mass needed. So you'd best get used to those 5 coaches.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
johan

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2009 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd suggest a hard limit of 10% of TS (counting handicaps). I can't imagine how hard it must be to find matches at a very high TS, and this would help out a bit there, while making the low-end matches more reasonable.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Plorg

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
I'd suggest a hard limit of 10% of TS (counting handicaps).

This idea makes a lot of sense.
Synn

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting..... the change to a hardcap of 15 TS in response to the fact that a bunch of coaches were going to leave because the games are too unbalanced. Then this was followed by numerous forum threads criticizing coaches for how they played, the fact that the scheduler was aiming for a 50-50 chance of winning, and how coaches were exploiting the TS calcs. During this time, the number of coaches in B shrank.

Now you propose a thread to undo step 1 in order to bring more coaches back?

Interesting......

__Synn
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 06:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
The issues keeping people away from Blackbox have nothing to do with this. In all honesty, I think it has missed it's chance to be a good division, and the number of coaches involved either has or soon will drop below the critical mass needed. So you'd best get used to those 5 coaches.

Hugely defeatist. If it becomes good then people will come Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Snappy_Dresser wrote:

I wish I weren't right. But the match ups have gotten worse as a certain element of coach has chased others away. The selfishness of the few spoiled it for the many. It could get better again, but with absolutely no leadership from the powers that be, why would I believe anything is going to change?

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 06:40 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Will it become good?

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2009 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy, the #1 factor for playing more [B] games cited in the poll was a competitive goal. Now that people can see their BR in [B] Central, there is something shoot for and hopefully that will encourage more games.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Yepp and here we are. 2 more teams retired and that's it for me. The last team ended up with an opponent 19points higher in TS, by turn 3 he had 5!!! cas on me and I conceded, never to return to the box again.

It was a nice idea, but it brings about a-holes that have no interest in winning the games, just destroying the other teams.

Blackbox - may it rot in peace!
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Amen?

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
Snappy, the #1 factor for playing more [B] games cited in the poll was a competitive goal. Now that people can see their BR in [B] Central, there is something shoot for and hopefully that will encourage more games.

Which do you think is more important for a competitive coach.... having a top BR.... or winning a major qualifier?

__Synn
 Jump to: