60 coaches online • Server time: 23:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
asharak

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I think it always was in danger of death - a system where you can't avoid someone who plays a different game (i.e. to destroy not score) is always going to put people off. I've not encountered one yet, but I've specced plenty & if I encountered a few games like this I suspect I might quit [B] too.
That said, I enjoy bashy games. I'll take on tougher teams, I'll play Synn with some Woodies or whatever. The difference being in these games they might be destroying my team, but in an effort to win. Sometimes there might be a 'surf rather than a statistically better blitz' or whatever, but hey surfing is always funny. Someone who outright ignores the ball is not funny, it is rare but I've seen people not even trying to pick it up. That, to me, isn't bloodbowl. I wouldn't play against a team like that in real life or [R] and I'd rather not play it anywhere.

Ah well, I guess it all comes down to numbers.... a few folks like that isn't too important. Lots & noone has much fun, participation drops & matches get more uneven. But what can you do? :S

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

asharak wrote:
That said, I enjoy bashy games. I'll take on tougher teams, I'll play Synn with some Woodies or whatever.

Truths....

I gave him nine boots and he walked out fine. We call that "armor of the balls".... where a coach who willingly plays a tough match will suffer less damage than a coach who only plays tough matches when forced.

__Synn
Calcium

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigh.

All this pacifist talk about the 'evils of the foul coach'

Same old crap. As correctly stated by asharak above (between his crying about foul monsters), those coaches that are prone to destruction can be beaten with superior tactics. I actually played some lizards recently in the box (squishy skinks ftw) and the coach was excellent at shutting down my ground + pound tactics. But it amazes me how a game built on american football and DEATH can be percieved to be played in the wrong way by some of the coaches here.

Other than that, I love the box. But I am fully aware that some coaches would consider me part of the problem in 'b'. Thats tragic, I don't care how my opponent plays, I just try to win + kill.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
Sigh.

All this pacifist talk about the 'evils of the foul coach'

Thats tragic, I don't care how my opponent plays, I just try to win + kill.

You are also not afraid to run for your life

Very Happy

__Synn
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
Which do you think is more important for a competitive coach.... having a top BR.... or winning a major qualifier?

Why does it have to be a comparison of which is better? Isn't there a place on fumbbl for more than one competitive format?

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to someone with a limited time schedule. A number of coaches who left B went right back to R. This is a zero-sum game.

Proof of this can be seen if a quickmatch function was ever added to ranked.

__Synn
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see B vs R as a zero sum game, that seems a narrow view to me. I think that having multiple competitive options available can increase total interest on the site.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

i blame silleh, for gloating from his spot on top of the heap, thus humiliating all who seek to challenge him

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

What do i get Synn?

Very Happy
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:
I don't see B vs R as a zero sum game, that seems a narrow view to me. I think that having multiple competitive options available can increase total interest on the site.

For a lot of people it is. They can only play a certain number of games in a week.

[B] appeared to be at it's height when the Minors and Tour were in off season.

[B] is better than open [R]. But open [R] is the price you have to pay to have a team that is competitive in [R] tournaments.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:

I think you are wrong.
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Koadah, that might be true for some coaches. There's probably some coaches who could play in both, depending on their mood, and/or whose game time can stretch depending on how much fun they're having.

Last edited by westerner on %b %25, %2009 - %22:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Melissa

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutly right. I can play 1-2 games/week. My choses are Oficial tournaments and Box.

P.S. I have some teams from old times for R Tournaments in other way, i thing, i would play only Box.

koadah wrote:
westerner wrote:

For a lot of people it is. They can only play a certain number of games in a week.

[B] appeared to be at it's height when the Minors and Tour were in off season.

[B] is better than open [R]. But open [R] is the price you have to pay to have a team that is competitive in [R] tournaments.
stormbolt

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Other than that, I love the box. But I am fully aware that some coaches would consider me part of the problem in 'b'. Thats tragic, I don't care how my opponent plays, I just try to win + kill.

Indeed, but since you actually TRY to win, this makes you less of a problem. There are loads of coaches that see no point whatsoever in winning, and only care about the ball if it leads to more cas. See this guy for example: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=537993

The way the box is formed, it becomes their playground, and anyone playing to actually win will be XXXXX:ed.

This could however be easily solved by a rule where, IF [number of fouls] > [number of TD's] at the end of the game THEN the teams best player (or the coach) is outright hunted down and KILLED!

Who would miss em?
Plorg

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2009 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

stormbolt wrote:
This could however be easily solved by a rule where, IF [number of fouls] > [number of TD's] at the end of the game THEN the teams best player (or the coach) is outright hunted down and KILLED!

Who would miss em?

Alternative proposal:

IF [number of fouls] < [number of forum posts complaining about fouling] THEN the coach is confined to playing in a happy care bear league with plush unicorns and RAINBOWS!

Who would miss em?
 Jump to: