48 coaches online • Server time: 18:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

stormbolt wrote:
Yepp and here we are. 2 more teams retired and that's it for me. The last team ended up with an opponent 19points higher in TS, by turn 3 he had 5!!! cas on me and I conceded, never to return to the box again.

It was a nice idea, but it brings about a-holes that have no interest in winning the games, just destroying the other teams.

Blackbox - may it rot in peace!

funny crappy cherrypicker:

Amazon 2 2/0/0 1.5 - 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 - 0.5 0.5 0.0 11 11
Chaos Dwarf 2 0/2/0 1.0 - 1.0 0.5 1.0 0.5 - 0.5 0.5 0.0 4 3
High Elf 1 1/0/0 1.0 - 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 - 0.0 0.0 0.0 1 -4
Norse 1 1/0/0 3.0 - 0.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 - 0.0 0.0 0.0 -2 -3
Ogre 1 1/0/0 2.0 - 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 - 3.0 2.0 1.0 -12 1
Orc 3 1/2/0 1.0 - 0.3 1.7 0.0 0.7 - 0.7 0.0 0.0 2 12
Vampire 1 0/1/0 1.0 - 1.0 2.0 2.0 0.0 - 0.0 0.0 1.0 1 -2
Wood Elf 1 1/0/0 2.0 - 1.0 1.0 2.0 1.0 - 0.0 0.0 0.0 -3 15

It doesn't look like those 15 TS in ranked at your advantage doesn't pose you any problem, nah?

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked

you have played like 29 games in the box. I found 1 only at -15TS (137/141 vs 152/160).

You conceeded like 5 or 6 of them. You played only bashers. Most games have been fair.

I name your post Forum whinging.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
westerner wrote:
Snappy, the #1 factor for playing more [B] games cited in the poll was a competitive goal. Now that people can see their BR in [B] Central, there is something shoot for and hopefully that will encourage more games.

Which do you think is more important for a competitive coach.... having a top BR.... or winning a major qualifier?

__Synn

I'd be a lot happier for #1 blackbox rating than for winning a qualifier. Because winning a qualifier would NECESSARILY imply some kind of cherrypicking on my part in the 10+ games before the qualifier itself.

Of course, I will never win a qualifier (because I don't cherrypick) and I will never be #1 BR (because I suck), so my opinion doesn't really matter Very Happy

ps: your Armor of Balls sucks.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %26, %2009 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg wrote:
Alternative proposal:

IF [number of fouls] < [number of forum posts complaining about fouling] THEN the coach is confined to playing in a happy care bear league with plush unicorns and RAINBOWS!

Who would miss em?

Phew.. thank god I foul enough. I mean.. UNICORNS! *shiver*
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The box is great! Cheer!

I felt something positive was needed. I havent felt that the match-ups have gotten worse or anything. I still have great games almost every time.

On the subject: The start up is the same for all teams no? That means it can't very well be hard for everyone, more likely it's just as usual.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

On topic:
Whining about killerteams in the box is text book example of hipocrisy, when coaching chaos/rotters/khemri exclusively. I don`t see your rotters/chaos taking anything but claws on doubles and at the moment you foul more often than being fouled. Going though the matches that led to the retirement of your 7 teams, I see 5 concessions and only 2 matches where you were fouled more than once (twice in one game in thrice in the other). it rather seems that you just cannot stand playing at a slight disadvantage and with the same percentage of soft opponents like you do in ranked.

In short: You want to be the killer and not the killed. You just don`t have the skill for it so you blame the system.

And next time you suggest something, at least get your facts straight. The fixed cap isn`t 20 TS, it`s 15TS after handicaps. Even though I would welcome a further reduction of that cap, teams are scheduled close enough usually to have enjoyable game. I would also suggest coaching woodelves to reduce the detachment to your players. Then you would also be capable of winning against superior opponents with just 9 players (with abit of luck) after having 5 elves killed straight in a single match.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
[B] is better than open [R]. But open [R] is the price you have to pay to have a team that is competitive in [R] tournaments.

Have to agree with this. I really enjoy [R] tournaments but trawling gamefinder looking for games is a special kind of hell; that's where blackbox is so fun. Plus the added kudos of battling on against the odds in an environment where you can't pick a 'soft' match when your team's a little battered; 5 dead woodies in one game... pretty epic!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Even if you are not a cherrypicker and tend to play anything, Open R has the huge advantage of letting you avoid jerks.

Nothing beats that.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Of course, I will never win a qualifier (because I don't cherrypick)

You don't need to cherrypick to win a qualifier. You just need to win three consecutive games. That does not necessarily require a seriously maxed-out team.

Winning a Major can be argued to be another matter, as it's very difficult to go through so many rounds without some nice build-up somewhere, but not a qualifier.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Of course, I will never win a qualifier (because I don't cherrypick)

You don't need to cherrypick to win a qualifier. You just need to win three consecutive games. That does not necessarily require a seriously maxed-out team.

Winning a Major can be argued to be another matter, as it's very difficult to go through so many rounds without some nice build-up somewhere, but not a qualifier.

If you got my point (and I'm sure you did), then why do you indulge in nitpicking? Razz

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I did get your point, but I don't agree with it. You said:

Quote:
I'd be a lot happier for #1 blackbox rating than for winning a qualifier. Because winning a qualifier would NECESSARILY imply some kind of cherrypicking on my part in the 10+ games before the qualifier itself.

And the second sentence is not - imo - true. It's especially not CAPS-WORTHY true. Razz

(And I could equally easily say that being #1 in [B] rating would imply some kind of TS-fiddling, and thus counted for less.)
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

So all I have to do is be #1 in [B] while winning a qualifier to a major to become the bb-god of FUMBBL?

Or does it just show that I have no life?
westerner

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think BR is potentially a better measure than CR because it's more uniform. The scheduling of matches is standardized in [B], whereas in [R] there are more variables in play: cherrypicking, recovery matches, personal white/blacklist, etc. Thus making comparisons of different BR's more meaningful.

CircularLogic wrote:
In short: You want to be the killer and not the killed.

Yep. Quite a logical goal, IMO. But my preferred method to achieve it would be a combination of defensive positioning and preemptive bashing.

One thing the box has taught me (painfully) is how to defend vs gangfouls and how to foul strategically.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Too bad topics like this one aren't "Too tough startup!" Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

/me fouls Foul Smile