67 coaches online • Server time: 19:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should there be a concession rule?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 74 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 22 ]
Pie
26%
 26%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 130

Chingis

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Mossbeard, concessions are a game mechanism, for dealing with game issues. The problems being discussed are out-of-game ones, be they unexpected commitments, internet lapses or whatever. Concessions are not the mechanism to deal with that.

In Blackbox in particular, a mechanism needs to be found due to the additional issue of tying up all Blackbox teams (currently). But conceding isn't that mechanism; conceding is for when the team in-game can't take any more, not for when the team would carry on playing but for the interference of real-life issues.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to learn that we are moving forward.

I'd like to point out that a good step forward on the issue would to be able to play even if a game is rescheduled.

That beeing said, well, truth is that R, S, L, F still exists. That's plenty of other divisions to play in.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2009 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but if we could freeze or "sleep" the one team that you were going to reschedule that would really help
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I must shamedly admit to having lost my connection last night, midgame. Tied up at halftime no less. My opponent was a decent guy, and I'm hoping that he'll be willing to finish the game this evening. I've been on to my net provider, since this discoing has been a problem for a week now, and is driving me bonkers.

With all respect to your opinion Mossbeard, not everyone has your kind of time. Bully for you if you've never been interupted mid game by a puking kid, or an angry boss, although considering your attitude, I'm sure they would both be told to sod off till after your game.

I feel awful that my opponents teams are locked up until this is resolved, and I hope things work out quickly. But in the end, this is just a game
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmm, this thread was much more interesting when i thought it was about Black Box Quilters.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
Mossbeard

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2009 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Chingis, concessions are for when you can't or won't finish the game for whatever reason.
You are wishing for a mechanism that already exists.

Jon_Guitard, not sure what you meant by not everyone has my kind of time. When did I say that I never had to quit a game in the middle? I just think it is very rude to waste other people's time, I have had some of those problems you mentioned but I just conceded the game I was playing so it didn't become my opponents problem. I guess I should take on your attitude and not worry that my opponent might want to play another game with their team.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I apologize mossy. Shouldn't take out a bad mood on others. The point I was trying to make, Badly, was that conceding is an in game penalty, given to discourage players from quitting just because the first couple of turns sucked. The internet adds a new wrinkle. There are genuinely times when a player does wish to continue, but is prevented. Might I suggest, if we're opening the floor here, that a time limit be imposed from the time of disconnect. you have 6 hours (or some such number) to contact admin and request a continuation, or your opponent is granted an auto win. Plus whatever disciplinary action might be taken for repeat offenders
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Such a number already exists.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
fly

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

another reason why blackbox sucks. i dun like i go have my team unscheduled until the dice favor me. great111!!!1

Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

don't blame blackbox for the attitudes of childish players. communism works great on paper. Blackbox is a good idea, no dodging opponents that might crush you to pulp. Blackbox suffers from a lack of players with the guts to play, it doesn't suck in and of itself
fly

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

wrong, jon_gittard. they play a game and if at 2/7 perms are too much to take, the game is cancelled. sporting pixelhugging if you ask me.

Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

this was something I was unaware of. perhaps a little slack for the 20 year table top vet playing his second day online. Please
Naboimp

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think flyor knows what he's talking about. Anyone who disconnects from a game and refuses to reschedule it is subject to forfeit with the perms counting (since the other player provides the match up to that point) if the team isn't just automatically retired. That's true regardless of what division a coach plays in.
treborius

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Jon_Guitard wrote:
I must shamedly admit to having lost my connection last night, midgame. Tied up at halftime no less. My opponent was a decent guy, and I'm hoping that he'll be willing to finish the game this evening. I've been on to my net provider, since this discoing has been a problem for a week now, and is driving me bonkers.

With all respect to your opinion Mossbeard, not everyone has your kind of time. Bully for you if you've never been interupted mid game by a puking kid, or an angry boss, although considering your attitude, I'm sure they would both be told to sod off till after your game.

I feel awful that my opponents teams are locked up until this is resolved, and I hope things work out quickly. But in the end, this is just a game

Jon, i have great understanding for players whith technical difficulties - i'm having a disco in
approx. 1 game out of 20 or 30, cause of some technical problems - w-lan, isp or whatever it is.
usually, it' just a matter of reconnecting and rehosting within the next 5 min.

on the other hand, when i learn that my oppo is playing at work (and cares about what his boss thinks Wink )
or when i learn in mid-game, that my oppo is the only available parent to a sick baby, who has just started
throwing up (i didn't make this up Sad ), then i have no sympathy for him, 'cause i think it's brashly impertinent
to agree on an online-game with a high probability of being interrupted (longer than a phonecall or a visit
to the bathroom), when you don't tell your oppo and leave him no choice to say, 'sorry 'got to go in 2h myself
and i don't want to start a game we have to reschedule' (which often isn't easy when you're in different time-zones,
can't play on weekends, etc.)

...since in divB, you're not choosing your oppo and there's thus no chance to agree on certain terms beforehand, i
think playing with a RL-handicap like having to watch a baby or fearing the visit of your boss is just plain rude

...it might be ok for you to reschedule a match, but not for your oppo - if it's not your responsibility,
your oppo still has to live with it (i.e. technical discos, burning house or whatever), but if you know
there's quite a high risk that your game will be interrupted for more than a few mins by a handicap
you're conscious about, than go to some other division and find an oppo who is fine with that!

...i think this should be much like playing in a smack - you shouldn't start a smack when you're not
confident, that you'll be able to finish 1 or 2 games in a row...
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I completely agree that you should not beging a game that you are concerned you might not be able to finish. It's patently irresponsable to go starting one when you're looking after your runny nosed brats ( I can say that, I have two of my own) or at work, or dodging the missus and her chore list.

Allow me to qualify that I have sympathy for the poor sod who thought he had the time, and the quietly sleeping little darling just choses this moment to get the flu, and the missus has said, get yer lazy arse of that dumb game and see to it.

I think we would all be best served by trying to promote an atmosphere of trying your best to play fairly and with consideration for yhour opponent, both in ensuring that you can meet the demands of playing, and that we keep in mind that if something pops up, it really is just a game, and not worth clapping the poor guy in irons.

I'll get off my soap box now.
 Jump to: