48 coaches online • Server time: 17:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
Cloggy wrote:
The only thing that would make me use the Blackbox would be as a sort of 1 game instant tourney in the [R]anked division.

Somehow I can't see how totally negating any point of the box (a place where dodging opponents and cherrypicking is hard to almost impossible) would make much sense.

Well, a sI said I think the scheduling principle of the box has matured quite nicely. Personally I like my old teams and my metagaming projects too much to switch divisions. This makes it very unlikely that I will use the Box as a scheduling mechanism unless it comes into [R]. The scheduler is good enough now that I would use it a lot in [R] if possible, but playing in the [B] division does not make sense to me personally.

That is no dig at the division, the people who play there or the merits of the scheduler.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
TOURNAMENTS
Coaches: spubbbba, Rijssiej, xcver

Pro

Quote:
AWARDS
Coaches: spubbbba, Rijssiej, xcver

Pro

Quote:
Possibility to select a number of your teams for the draw
Coaches: jarvis_pants, Rijssiej,

Pro

Quote:
Percentage cap on TS difference
Coaches: Tinkywinky, Rijssiej,

Against. TS lose accuracy at high TS. I just don't want to play at 30 TS diff at high TS when the values are getting less and less accurate.

Quote:
Use LRB5 TV instead of TS for match calculation (if possible)
Coaches: Rijssiej, xcver,

Totally against.

Quote:
Allow team transfer between [B] and [R] (both ways)
Coaches: Rijssiej,

As Duke said, I don't want to see it too. Possible destructive possibility.

Quote:
Percentage cap on TS difference with max diff.
Coaches: xcver, [/size]

Probably against. Indeed, when more teams are available, it's more likely for one to get a fair draw. I'd rather have a 10-15 ts gap than not beeing scheduled. So 15 seems ok to me.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=rankings&bracket=1&bracket2=2

by the way if you check the stats, around -20 TS at low TS, you still have roughly 45% win probability (draw included). It's IMO ok, a tough game but not impossible.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

How about we bring back the BWR factors in the matchup formula? Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe.

die silleh!

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me guess. Silly likes ringing door bells then running away Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Im with cloggy, while i am not likely to make B my main gaming division, i would use a blackboxlike feature in R a lot, though not exclusively.

I see no reason why that would need to alter B in any though.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The main improvement I would make would be to allow scheduling of matches where there are 4 or 5 coaches activated.

Many of the other things would help but I see reliably getting games as the main factor.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Im with cloggy, while i am not likely to make B my main gaming division, i would use a blackboxlike feature in R a lot, though not exclusively.

I see no reason why that would need to alter B in any though.

You would lose the coaches who just want 'quick match'. So less chance of having enough coaches/teams to make it work.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see tourneys in blackbox, sign me up. Smile

Sign me up for the transfer of ranked teams to blackbox. The way I see it, it would be nice to have a short period of time( like a week) to get some teams from ranked into blackbox. After that, then make transfers impossible again. The reason why? Well I have some teams in ranked that I like very much and if I can't play them in blackbox, then I have to stay in ranked adn therefore not play in blackbox.
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have said it a millions times...Black Box should not be a seperate division. There are too many divisions already. Black Box should be a feature of Ranked. The Death Valley Daze would be playing a random team everytime they played if it was a feature of the Ranked Division but I'm not going to ignore my real team in order to play in a minor division.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
You would lose the coaches who just want 'quick match'. So less chance of having enough coaches/teams to make it work.

Not necessarily. I think most of the current coaches in [B] are just looking for a quick and competitive match. That could happen via an [R] blackbox just as well, except that you'd lose the ability to easily compare blackboxing teams against their peer group.

My main concern in [B] is the difficulty in actually getting a game lately. I usually sign on to fumbbl at :25 or :55 to catch the [B] round. But if that round and the next pass without a match I'll go to [R]. And sometimes while playing [R] I'll see [B] rounds go by with 5 coaches Sad, but dems the breaks.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Let me guess. Silly likes ringing door bells then running away Wink

Theres a definate element of that - I dont think this thread will tell us much more that the last twenty odd. However, I genuinely prefered it when the ranking was part of the formula Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
NNNChef

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Please no transfer between [R] and [B]. People who don't have the guts to build up a team in [B] are not worth to play it. I would like to see in the first post of this thread not only the votings for a suggestion but also votings against suggestions. Otherwise a reader of it gets a wrong impression.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Since we're doing a show of hands here. Make B count for rating. Finish any debugging final touches, then organize some tournaments. It's reasonably safe to say IMO, that despite it's detractors, blackbox has a strong and devoted following. It's time to take it from experiment to actual membership.

I would agree that you could one time transfer from B to R, but not the other way. That way if your team got pasted by a few unlucky matches in B, you wouldn't feel the need to just retire them. I agree that allowing R to B would just lead to cherry picked uber teams jumping in. That, IMO, is counter to the concept of blackbox.
 Jump to: