24 coaches online • Server time: 08:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
Cloggy wrote:
The only thing that would make me use the Blackbox would be as a sort of 1 game instant tourney in the [R]anked division.

Somehow I can't see how totally negating any point of the box (a place where dodging opponents and cherrypicking is hard to almost impossible) would make much sense.

Well, a sI said I think the scheduling principle of the box has matured quite nicely. Personally I like my old teams and my metagaming projects too much to switch divisions. This makes it very unlikely that I will use the Box as a scheduling mechanism unless it comes into [R]. The scheduler is good enough now that I would use it a lot in [R] if possible, but playing in the [B] division does not make sense to me personally.

That is no dig at the division, the people who play there or the merits of the scheduler.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
TOURNAMENTS
Coaches: spubbbba, Rijssiej, xcver

Pro

Quote:
AWARDS
Coaches: spubbbba, Rijssiej, xcver

Pro

Quote:
Possibility to select a number of your teams for the draw
Coaches: jarvis_pants, Rijssiej,

Pro

Quote:
Percentage cap on TS difference
Coaches: Tinkywinky, Rijssiej,

Against. TS lose accuracy at high TS. I just don't want to play at 30 TS diff at high TS when the values are getting less and less accurate.

Quote:
Use LRB5 TV instead of TS for match calculation (if possible)
Coaches: Rijssiej, xcver,

Totally against.

Quote:
Allow team transfer between [B] and [R] (both ways)
Coaches: Rijssiej,

As Duke said, I don't want to see it too. Possible destructive possibility.

Quote:
Percentage cap on TS difference with max diff.
Coaches: xcver, [/size]

Probably against. Indeed, when more teams are available, it's more likely for one to get a fair draw. I'd rather have a 10-15 ts gap than not beeing scheduled. So 15 seems ok to me.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=rankings&bracket=1&bracket2=2

by the way if you check the stats, around -20 TS at low TS, you still have roughly 45% win probability (draw included). It's IMO ok, a tough game but not impossible.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

How about we bring back the BWR factors in the matchup formula? Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe.

die silleh!

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me guess. Silly likes ringing door bells then running away Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Im with cloggy, while i am not likely to make B my main gaming division, i would use a blackboxlike feature in R a lot, though not exclusively.

I see no reason why that would need to alter B in any though.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The main improvement I would make would be to allow scheduling of matches where there are 4 or 5 coaches activated.

Many of the other things would help but I see reliably getting games as the main factor.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Im with cloggy, while i am not likely to make B my main gaming division, i would use a blackboxlike feature in R a lot, though not exclusively.

I see no reason why that would need to alter B in any though.

You would lose the coaches who just want 'quick match'. So less chance of having enough coaches/teams to make it work.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see tourneys in blackbox, sign me up. Smile

Sign me up for the transfer of ranked teams to blackbox. The way I see it, it would be nice to have a short period of time( like a week) to get some teams from ranked into blackbox. After that, then make transfers impossible again. The reason why? Well I have some teams in ranked that I like very much and if I can't play them in blackbox, then I have to stay in ranked adn therefore not play in blackbox.
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have said it a millions times...Black Box should not be a seperate division. There are too many divisions already. Black Box should be a feature of Ranked. The Death Valley Daze would be playing a random team everytime they played if it was a feature of the Ranked Division but I'm not going to ignore my real team in order to play in a minor division.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
You would lose the coaches who just want 'quick match'. So less chance of having enough coaches/teams to make it work.

Not necessarily. I think most of the current coaches in [B] are just looking for a quick and competitive match. That could happen via an [R] blackbox just as well, except that you'd lose the ability to easily compare blackboxing teams against their peer group.

My main concern in [B] is the difficulty in actually getting a game lately. I usually sign on to fumbbl at :25 or :55 to catch the [B] round. But if that round and the next pass without a match I'll go to [R]. And sometimes while playing [R] I'll see [B] rounds go by with 5 coaches Sad, but dems the breaks.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Let me guess. Silly likes ringing door bells then running away Wink

Theres a definate element of that - I dont think this thread will tell us much more that the last twenty odd. However, I genuinely prefered it when the ranking was part of the formula Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
NNNChef

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Please no transfer between [R] and [B]. People who don't have the guts to build up a team in [B] are not worth to play it. I would like to see in the first post of this thread not only the votings for a suggestion but also votings against suggestions. Otherwise a reader of it gets a wrong impression.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Since we're doing a show of hands here. Make B count for rating. Finish any debugging final touches, then organize some tournaments. It's reasonably safe to say IMO, that despite it's detractors, blackbox has a strong and devoted following. It's time to take it from experiment to actual membership.

I would agree that you could one time transfer from B to R, but not the other way. That way if your team got pasted by a few unlucky matches in B, you wouldn't feel the need to just retire them. I agree that allowing R to B would just lead to cherry picked uber teams jumping in. That, IMO, is counter to the concept of blackbox.
 Jump to: