64 coaches online • Server time: 20:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

got double fives for my first skill on a Chaos dwarf Blocker. Aside from the +MA, which I don't see much need for, the potential for skills is huge. I'm leaning towards strip ball, frenzy or dauntless.

Any thoughts?

Blockers start with block tackle thick skull for those who don't know. this is also the first skill for the entire team.
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Low MA and AG limits the usefulness of both SB and Frenzy. Of the three choices you've given I'd go for dauntless, but I'd take Sidestep of Stand Firm over daunt.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

TAKE +MA, being faster is better, makes him better at hunting elves.

If for some reason you think +ma is rubbish, take dodge, no one sees blodge blockers coming, they rule. Strip ball is not a double skill so definitely dont bother with that, frenzy gets you into too much trouble and dauntless is unnecessary when you have str 4 blitzers and plenty of guard.

The best doubles choices for a blocker are (in my order of preference) dodge, side step, stand firm, diving tackle

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed Jock. it just occurred to me in my need a nap haze that I should just go looking for a skill that only a doubles could give. I think it will either be SF or dodge. My Blockers tend to set up a little deep, and created difficult lanes of movement. SF will make that much eaiser, or blodge to keep him on his feet.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Decision made, he's now a blodger. Hard to knock down, keep him in the key lane defending the ball carrier, or on defence keep him back to get in the way of the drive. Let your opponent waste a blitz on him, and imagine the terror he'll be if he ever gets SF.
Juff

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

With so many choices, I fail to see how this is a dilemma Wink

+MA, Stand Firm, Sidestep are all solid choices. Daunt may find some use, as may dodge, but i'm not a fan of these ffor CD blockers. Same applies to frenzy now I think about it.

Edit: Meh to dodge. You now have probably 1 blodger for opponent tacklers to focus on.
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

one av 9 blodger, with thick skull, who can absorb the focus while my BC's and hobbo's scoot around the pile up. It was a toss up between stand firm and dodge. Dodge first to keep him on his feet more. Even with MA5, he's never going to be my go to guy to carry the ball. His job is to block, block, and blitz when he can to free up the Bulls. Dodge makes him the core of ta good line of scrimage, since he ony drops on a pow, and has the additional benefit of meaning that if he's the only one who can reach a ball carrier, he can dodge away to get there, ag2, with a reroll. it becomes a choice that isn't an auto fail.
Juff

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge doesn't help with his job of 'block block blitzing'. Also, if he's the only player in range of the ballcarrier, something has gone very wrong. Especially if he's at the core of your LoS.

My main point is that any other bashy team will have tackle to assign to him. Any agile team will have dedicated tacklers if they need to knock him down, or won't be trying to knock him down in the first place. SS or SF would allow you better field control. Which is awesome.

Ag2 + dodge is not a reliable way to leave a tacklezone.
westerner

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Juff wrote:
Ag2 + dodge is not a relaiable way to leave a tacklezone.

Aye. For that reason I like Stand Firm better than Dodge on a CDB.

I think Leader is also a decent choice given how expensive rerolls are for CD's.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

remember that his team is new, blodge is very very good early on.

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
johan

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

+MA is very much worth it on CDwarves and Longbeards. And this is coming from a coach who's not usually a MA-booster.

If you really don't want the +MA, then Stand Firm, Sidestep and Diving Tackle are all excellent choices.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
westerner

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

JockMcRowdy wrote:
remember that his team is new, blodge is very very good early on.

I think that rule of thumb doesn't really hold for AG2 players. IMO you're not getting full value for Dodge if it's too risky to actually dodge.

Defensively, SF negates pushbacks which are over twice as likely as stumbles, plus it's immune to Tackle. SF also combos with Guard which CDB get on a normal skill roll.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

move isnt that bad on blockers, i had the same chice yesterday, i went for stand firm, what i find very useful for CD

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

having ag 2 means that under almost no circumstances should you be dodging. But the arguement that if you need to dodge him out things are very wrong doesn't hold water. In a BloodBowl game, things are always going wrong. rerolling ag 2 dodges makes it a possibility in desperation, one that has a chance. Added to which he require the dedication of a tackling opponent to reliably pop him. A slow moving blocker who sucks up that much attention is a good investment. Divert annoy and distract.
treborius

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2009 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

choices:

1. SF
2. SS
3. Dauntless

everything else is inferior imho Smile

EDIT: SF and SS are both useful in a lot of critical occasions and they combine very well with guard - Dauntless on a CD-team isn't bad either (on a Dwarf-team there are 2 Dauntless-guys, already)
 Jump to: