14 coaches online • Server time: 06:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mastergabber

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I just have read how the Luck Meter is explained, but still me is left questions, and moreover I have a proposal to improve it. That is, because I often find the games ended up in more than 60% luck on both sides. And at games where my luck dropped below 50 or even 55%, I feel bad lucky for myself or opponent.

1: If a block comes with more dice, does the Luck Meter then compute the probabilites for the used number of dice, or for just one dice?
2: If a roll is rerolled, is the rerolled result then ignored in the Luck Meter? If not, how does it deal with rerolls based on skills?
3: Are rolls on the Kick-off table, Casualty table and KO/heat rolls counted in the Luck Meter?

My proposal: Modify the value on "important" rolls:
Double the additions of the nominator and the denominator of each of the following rolls:
The block roll on the blitz action.
Block, dodge, leap and Going For It rolls on the ball carrier, unless a failure doesn't cause a turnover.
Successive interceptions and failed Safe Throw rolls.
Armour/injury rolls from a foul action.
The negatrait for Big Guys when it uses the Blitz action or when he holds the ball.
The pass roll of the Throw Teammate action, if the teammate is carrying the ball.
The squirm Free roll (when the Always Hungry roll was failed.)
Triple the values for the apothecary roll.
Calculate each rerolled result as a failure.
Ignore a roll if the result has probability 1.
If the active player and at least one opponent goes down on the block or blitz action in which no other player of the active team could move anymore, calculate it as "neutral."
Calculate the result of a Push as "succes", if it makes possible another block or blitz necessary for a crowdpush or a one-turn score.
Reverse the outcomes of the injury roll caused by a failed Off For A Bite if a "stunned" result still counts as failure for the active team.

I hope that the Luck Meter will be changed such that the measured average luck will be around 50%.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The luck meter is unlikely to ever be especially relevant, is bugged, and is coded into the client so is almost impossible to fix.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It should be noted that the average luck will never be 50% even if the luck formula was non-buggy. For an explanation see some thread from a while ago that I can't be bothered to find.

I recommend moving the game window so the luck meter is off the top of your screen. Life becomes more tolerable after this.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Or buy a Japanese computer. My computer can't read the luck digits, thus I don't have it. I quite often check after the game though.

See it more as a success meter rather than luck, and you do see patterns emerging.

I think as a player I have quite a high %, however when I play elves it statistically is lower. Game after game this can't be luck but the way I play. In short the luck meter has told me I over complicate things with elves.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I had assumed that the luck meter was there for "entertainment" purposes only....
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The luck meter is nuffle in disguise Smile
Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
I had assumed that the luck meter was there for "entertainment" purposes only....

^ what he said^

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2009 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, realizing that it is essentially meaningless, I've nonetheless had a few thoughts as to how it could be made more useful.

In addition to emphasizing the value of actions performed by the ball-carrier and apo, I think the kickoff chart really has to come into play. Blitz! results and your opponent getting the ref are huge lucky breaks in their favor (especially if they get the ref despite a lower FF).

Another factor would be how early in a turn something bad happens. Skulling out your last block with some lineman away from the ball isn't so bad. Skull/Skull/RR/Skull/Skull on your first block of a turn is game-changing.

Of course, this is all pie-in-the-sky since it isn't important enough to change, but it's still interesting to discuss.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
 Jump to: