52 coaches online • Server time: 13:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling complaints, and complaining about the complainers, are both common on FUMBBL in the chat room and here in the forum.

Now, I don't want to argue about the "ethics" of fouling - that's been hashed out ad naseum.

Perhaps the answer is to better inform people of their opponents views on fouling before the game starts - it couldn't hurt I would imagine.

So here is what I suggest. In every team's bio, coaches will put a "Fouling Preference" entry with one of the following choices;

--
Rampant+T8: You'll foul whenever you feel like including second half turn 8.

Rampant: You'll foul whenever you feel like excluding second half turn 8*.

Strategic: You'll foul whenever you think you can get an advantage out of it excluding second half turn 8*.

Tactical: You'll foul occasionally to take out key enemy players or to get/stop a score or if you get the "Get the Ref" kick off result, excluding second half turn 8*.

Retaliation: You'll foul in retaliation to being fouled and that's it.

Never: You never foul.
--

This way, you know what you are getting yourself into, and if that "Rampant" coach fouls you 12 times, or that "Never" coach refuses to play your "Rampant+T8" team, you should expect it. More importantly, I think it would help coaches get the kind of games they want to play and can enjoy - the whole point of FUMBBL in the first place.

This kind of thing would only work really if most coaches used it of course, and if they were honest.

So any thoughts?

*Fouling to legitimately get or stop a score in the second half turn 8 is considered acceptable, even if the foul stops a small chance play; ie fouling a Black Orc Blocker one space from your endzone while the other team has the ball at midfield. The odds of such a score are low, but certainly not impossible.
jtruhe

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll do it.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll lie and do whatever takes my fancy at the time...usually chasing the ball but...

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll do it too.. nice idea.

I foul for fluff and tactical purposes

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

no i dont like it. i sometimes go 3 weeks without throwing an undeserved/tactical foul and some days i foul every turn possible in every game i play (like yesturday and today cause ive been a bit frustrated with the "Dice") so it really doesnt work
Barre

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I was considering proposing a similar solution, since you've done some thinking already I won't bother. Smile Your idea sounds good. I think the system would still be vulnerable to those people who work against it. (i.e. lyers, brats and just downright naughty people).

But I think implementing a system such as this would trim down complaints dramatically, generally the arguements are based on what people think the game should involve, not based on peoples dishonesty about willingness to foul.

There will always be dishonest people, but this way we are narrowing them out, and allowing 'like minded' coaches or coaches who are willing to suffer consequences to play each other.

It should be obvious that this system would not discriminate against foulers or non-foulers.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesnt it say in the rules that no discussion of they way you are going to play is allowed before a match? Im sure this counts as that.

Oscar Wilde
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I would put this in the same box as the cas/game average available in public chat... reflects tendancies, but does not reflect any agreement between two players.

Post 6 Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

shut up tools, its part of the game - ITS A GAME!!!!!!! [list=][/list]
blitzwing

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

GROD IS A NERD. NRRRREEEEDDDD
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with grod. Such a statement, probably to advertise your team to get games, would be kinda per-match-fixing, wich is against the rules of FUMBBL.
Beside the lying gits and the rules-violation, there is another disadvantage: It will take game-dodging to a whole new dimension. I´m now getting games refused "because you have a MB (on the ogre) and 2 tackles". I guess there will be looots of people, who only want to play angainst those "NEVER"-foulers or who refuse to play me, because I admit, that I foul tactically. (I can imagine their reasoning.. 'You foul tactically... those are the worst. You will go after my best player!!!!')
Afro

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

.. and, in addition, you should ask about people pushing out players even when they could knock them down before (chosing the push with frenzy players when the could chose the pow). I think this would be too much discussing before the match and will give some coaches too many reasons to avoid a match. There are enough coaches only playing "safe" or "victory guaranteed" matches. Don't give them another reason to not make a game because they could possibly lose; there are enough reasons already.
Jezlad

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I say give everyone a free dirty player and studded boots!!
ChickenInSpace

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's in the rules, stop whining...
I foul when I'm about to loose the game anyway or when I get pissed off at some players (read skinks)

I wish death to all skinks.
And yes, it's personal...
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2003 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is a list of players I will foul at every opportunity....

Wardancers
Witchelfs
PO players
Big Hand Players
Throwers (all types)
Norse Blitzers
Werewolves
Flesh Golems
Vampires
Dirty Players
Beasts of Nurgle
Pass Block Players