59 coaches online • Server time: 23:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wombats

Post 5 Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't address this in the comments thinger on the votey-type-dooverlaki for I am rather slow and lacking in the brain.

So...we all know this will at least give an advantage to the victims of "differently abled" match pairing.

It will also be open to extreme abuse...for example, my new Necromantic team would love a starting game against TR 180 elves and the pocketful of MVPs, etc. that will go with it.

Bad for TD ratings but soon recovered in a few games. Will this be evened out by later matches against equal TR?

I'm not calling it either way - We'll have to see it in action to find out how it effects the "cherry-picking" matching in Open.

The result will be somewhere between the well-cooked succulence of the good barracuda of balanced play and the cold, slimy slap to the face with an atlantic salmon of thorough abuse - Any thoughts?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I say handicaps should only be in for tournaments etc, so that teams who are unevenly matched have a chance of competing!

But for Open, I say let the TR100's play amongst themselves rather than challenge a TR300 team and actually have a whole swag of advantages!
jtruhe

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I think abuse will be limited by the fact that teams can always turn down challenges from teams with ratings 50 or more different from their team. It will simply give teams more opportunities to play if they can't find a close match.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, handicaps are essentially for matchups of equal strength, but unequal ratings...

Z
Wombats

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

>I think abuse will be limited by the fact that teams can always turn down challenges from teams with ratings 50 >or more different from their team.

Yeah, but I think like a munchkin (and act with conscience) and would be sorely tempted (but not swayed) to get walked on by a non-bashy team for a quick boost. It would feel cheap in the long run but it won't stop toolbags doing it.

And there are noobers out there who don't turn down matches from +50 TR's - I've had to explain to the poor guys why they can't win matches a couple of times and I've only been here a few weeks.

Definitely worth implementing in tournaments - But Open? I guess that is the only sticking point.

I'd put forward the idea of halving and rounding up the benefits in Open simply for the fact that it will be abused at some point...
Raimius

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

My opionin would be this:
If there is this much question about the open implementation of handicaps. Then don't do it.
It is not broken... why fix it?

~R~
Bretter

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see the handicap system with no restrictions for divisions. There is an accepted risk with such a large league as FUMBBL where abuses are bound to happen. But that doesn't mean that there should be more restrictions to playing the game. If handicaps are out there, I say give them to all.
IvanTheCow

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I say we just try them out for a while and if there abused we take them away.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think handicaps would be a good idea... but i'm speaking from zero knowledge.. I've never used em.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2003 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I want handicaps for those round robin tourneys where you have an unlucky first game or first 2, you get a si niggled line elf and a dead linelf the first game. Without handicaps it can take 3/4 of the tourny to recover, your record is tanked and everyone has 25-20 tr on you as they used their money for rerolls and position players and your scrambling to make it back up. I think handicaps would be a great boost to the T division. I dont think open needs it but it would be nice to have a handicap for those 16-20 tr difference games.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2004 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Cusi in part. In my opinion handicaps were originally set up for tournies. Fumbbl is unique in the fact that it has the capacity for one-off matches - as in open. Therefore, i feel it best for an option to be incorporated to switch off handicaps for open matches. From what i can see people are starting to become, shall we say, more discerning. As if it wasn't bad enough already.
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2004 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think leave the handicaps in. They can add a lot more flavour and fun and are real skill testers for both teams.

If you don't like em, then play teams near your rating all the time, and you will never have to care.

Smile
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2004 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Daragor wrote:
I agree with Cusi in part. In my opinion handicaps were originally set up for tournies. Fumbbl is unique in the fact that it has the capacity for one-off matches - as in open. Therefore, i feel it best for an option to be incorporated to switch off handicaps for open matches. From what i can see people are starting to become, shall we say, more discerning. As if it wasn't bad enough already.

Yep, makes getting fair games a bit harder, and now you have to do the handicap roll math; ie let's see my sr is a bit higher then his, but my tr is 50 more then his, so he'll get 2 rolls according to Christer and the site that's worth +10 sr, but then again if I get Virus and Morley's he'll win with ease, and there are a number of results that are conversely nigh on worthless.

So do I want to play a game were the result can quite probably be determined by the Handicap roll?

Then you go to challenge him and he says no, your tr is 50 higher then mine. Wink
cthol

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2004 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

isn't there an option to switch off handicaps in the client? would games still be valid?
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2004 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure there is. If you do not play with fumbbl rosters you can always turn it off.