21 coaches online • Server time: 06:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
johan

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
To be honest, I am with Kalimar on the show dice or not issue.

To me, it's no different than on tabletop to know exactly what the target roll is _before_ the actual roll is made. I am certain that many people, just like myself, have been thinking of doing an action, then realizing it's a 5+ roll rather than the 3+ you thought it was and simply decide to not do it. On the table top, I _always_ know what the target is before I make the roll and it does happen that I change my mind about making the roll, thus effectively losing the action of the player.

The ability to know the target of the roll easily before it's made is not, in my opinion, affecting the difficulty of the game itself. It's simply an automatic rules-lookup (which is fully allowed on the tabletop) before you do any roll.

Good players will know the target roll before the player is even touched, and that's something that the client won't display.

Completely agree.

When the computer can help out with the simple, uninteresting stuff, it should. Just like how remembering to move the turn marker is a critical part of boardgame play, but serves no purpose in computer-based play.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
mwilli72

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

A question for Kalimar on the shown dice: If a player is dodging away from a diving tackler, will the number displayed include the negative for DT, or will it not be displayed as it hasn't been decided if DT will be used or not?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

My great thanks to Kalimar. I love the LRB5 rules and think they are so much better than LRB4 and I look fwd to the client.

I am ambivalent on the "showing the odds" argument and am happy either way. I know the odds be it on the screen or not, who cares how my opponent knows.

Because I have moved to playing fumbbl on laptop and not desktop I am now using a touch pad and would LOVE the keyboard short cut to select players.

Also, one thing that annoys me in playing on a laptop with the seperate chat window, if I want to chat, I have to click in the chat window and type my chat then when I hit "b" for block or "z" for blitz, even though I have selected the player with the mouse, the key stroke comes up in the chat window!

So, I have to scroll down and click BLOCK with my mouse for the first move and then the short cuts work from there on.

As a chatty guy with a touchpad mouse, this is REALLY annoying.

If it can be fixed, please do. I suggest making keyboard stroke "c" = activate chat window and switching back being another key (not a letter, would have to be a Function key or the TAB key) so that I can keystroke like this:

"b" - block player,
"c" - activates chat, I type "bad luck I killed your wardancer"
"F1" - activates client keyboard short cuts
"<" - scroll to select player
"z" - blitz with selected player

rinse / repeat.

Clay
mwilli72

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Also a handful of questions that may be more for the rules lawyers here than Kalimar.

I noticed the other day that the very exact wording for Stakes seems to be specifically written for Zara. From the LRB4:

The stakes give her a +3 when attempting to roll for the armour against any member of a Khemri, Necromantic, Undead, or Vampire team and/or against Count Luthor Von Drakenborg

When that was written, I'm assuming there were no other players that carried stakes?

Is there a reason that her stakes don't work against Ramtut in LRB4?

Shouldn't these stakes also give a +3 to a cas roll against any player (no matter what team) that has the 'undead' trait? In this case I'm thinking specifically of the Forest Goblin Stikka's going against Strig Lords and Vamplings.

And finally to the reason that I'm posting this here, I noticed with LRB 5 it's modified some and now reads:

This player is armed with special stakes that are blessed to cause extra
damage to the Undead and those that work with them. This player may
add 1 to the Armour roll when they make a Stab attack against any
player playing for a Khemri, Necromantic, Undead or Vampire team.

Again, it seems to leave out Strig Lords and Vamplings. If it's decided that stakes should help against them also then I'd like to see it be correct in Kalimar's client.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I am interested to see how "Stab" works in the client... it is not a block action!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
I am interested to see how "Stab" works in the client... it is not a block action!

Sort of the same as OFAB I think.

Make a move action and end it by making the stab.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

For all the "odds on display" talk...the only concern I have is the "look" of it. I don't need the numbers, and care not if my opponent has them. I simply don't want what is currently the grey shaded "movement" box to be filled with numbers! I "know" this is a dice game, but one of the great freedoms of FUMBBL is that you can ignore them. I don't care if I fail a dodge on a 1 or a 2, I just need to see my guy fall over to know he has failed.

Look forward to seeing this all regardless! Great work Sir!

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, will we still be able to customize the sounds??? I would hate to lose my Loony Toon pack! Wink It is THE sound of Blood Bowl as far as I am concerned!

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

That makes is rather powerful then. Kind of like a second blitz?

Cloggy wrote:
ClayInfinity wrote:

Oscar Wilde
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
That makes is rather powerful then. Kind of like a second blitz?

Cloggy wrote:
ClayInfinity wrote:

Yes, read the LRB5 rules... it is a separate action outside of block / blitz. However the experienced DE coaches in my league tell me that the Assassin is a real waste of money / TV on the roster... its just an AV roll.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Yes, read the LRB5 rules... it is a separate action outside of block / blitz. However the experienced DE coaches in my league tell me that the Assassin is a real waste of money / TV on the roster... its just an AV roll.

Well, that actually sounds quite useful to me: If you intend to mark a player anyway, you could do so with an assassin and give it a go to put the player down as an added bonus.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually it isnt a seperate action at all.

LRB5 wrote:
A player with this skill is armed with something very good at stabbing, slashing or hacking up an opponent, like sharp fangs or a trusty dagger. This player may attack an opponent with their stabbing attack instead of throwing a block at them. Make an unmodified Armour roll for the victim. If the score is less than or equal to the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect. If the score beats the victim’s Armour value then they have been wounded and an unmodified Injury roll must be made. If Stab is used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving after using it. Casualties caused by a stabbing attack do not count for Star Player points.

If you want to move and then stab someone then you have used your blitz action for the turn.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

/Boo.

It was sounding really great for a minute. Extra free riskless blitz-like chances to bring down opponents. No secret weapon rolls. Pity.

Well it is still kind of useful in taking out the 3 LOS victims. You get a free chance to break their armour, before knocking them over and getting another one. Still, pity.

SillySod wrote:
Actually it isnt a seperate action at all.

LRB5 wrote:
A player with this skill is armed with something very good at stabbing, slashing or hacking up an opponent, like sharp fangs or a trusty dagger. This player may attack an opponent with their stabbing attack instead of throwing a block at them. Make an unmodified Armour roll for the victim. If the score is less than or equal to the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect. If the score beats the victim’s Armour value then they have been wounded and an unmodified Injury roll must be made. If Stab is used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving after using it. Casualties caused by a stabbing attack do not count for Star Player points.

If you want to move and then stab someone then you have used your blitz action for the turn.

Oscar Wilde
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

and it combines with multiple block: you can replace either or both of the blocks with a stab
Esch

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2009 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar, first off, thank you very much for doing this! All of us have been waiting for this to happen for a very long time.

Looking at the screenshots, I have one issue, but not sure if I'm the only one. I don't care for the score/turns/rerolls being split up on either side of the screen. I think they need to be in the same area like with the LRB4 client. So either put them back where they were above the chat box or maybe move them above the field in the center of the screen. Thanks!
 Jump to: