20 coaches online • Server time: 02:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

So I've decided to play a bit of skaven, and after a few games I think I'll be playing them for a while. So I decided to make some player portraits for them, but after searching for, downloading, and resizing the pictures to 114x177, more than half of them are above the 10k limit. I've done player portraits before (see my Lizardman and Norse team) but I've never had problems like this. Usually, two to four are above the limit. Those, I convert to .gif, which usually helps the size go down, but I lose quality. With more than half of my team above 10k, I'd rather not lose quality on so much of them. Is there another way to keep the same (ish) quality, while still keeping the 114x177?

thanks

,WindexChugger
Kryten

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 20:44
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Download GIMP. It's a free image editor and you can reduce the quality somewhat, leave the pictures as JPEGs and easily meet the 10240 byte limit. Quality is still quite good.
Synn

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Screw that. ImRe. It lets you resize images in batches so its faster without degrading the image quality like GIMP.

And it makes perfect sense Kryten would advise GIMP....

__Synn
Tesifonte

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

...Save as .GIF files using whatever the program you have.

TaChIkOmA! \o/
TheSpoonyBard

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

ImRe. Seriously. It's free, it's easy, and it makes file sizes tiny while keeping good picture quality.

~Robert Wilensky

http://thespoonybard.mybrute.com/
Ivaneitor

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Photoshop has the option of "save for web" there you can save as GIF or JPG with more compression keeping nice quality. Anyway 114x177 is so small that almost every program would handle that 10K size with decent quality. I like photoshop cos you can use it for everything to create your portraits ( combine layers, add efects, resize, compress, save...)

Last edited by Ivaneitor on Apr 12, 2009 - 21:49; edited 1 time in total
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2009 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

ImRe...wow...awesome. Thanks a bunch you all. Got all of them done in 5 minutes.