32 coaches online • Server time: 01:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

After some discussions with christer he appointed me to be in charge of div A. My hope and vision is to make it a more extensive teachingtool then it currently is. Hopefully we can draw help from more experienced coaches. What I would like to see in this thread is a brainstorm for what could be useful in such a division.

So comon let the ideas fly
Chrome_ghoul

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Main thing it needs is people there, willing to play teaching games against the new players. Perhaps a number of coaches would be willing to volunteer to play games in A for one night a week?
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

grats on being made head teacher Very Happy

Heres something i thought of before thats kinda related

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15452&highlight=

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Allow teams from A to transfer to something other than U and I think more folks would be interested.

If you do not like transfer to R, then at least if transfer to L was allowed, it would increase number of folks willing to have an A team around. Since after 5-10 games and the team is over the 150 limit - then can transfer to L and still use the team.

In addition new players that are playing A games can build up new teams and learn how to play in A, then instead of starting over can just transfer their teams right into one of a number of leagues and join right in the community.
G_Force

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

is it possible to allow the "teachers" to use a non progressive teams vs rookie students rather than have to constantly trim or restart?
maybe they have a few teams at set tr for games.
perhaps non these non progression A teams could be in addition to the 40 (I would have to retire before making new teams now) but am happy to help.

is the timer on in [A] games? the clock ticking is the last thing you need when you are trying the client for new or asking / answering questions as you go along

Transfer to L sounds like a good option to me too although if the U L Merger takes place i imagine all academy teams will have the option to transfer to U/L or S accordingly

Astarael

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know about progression but the clock is not enforced

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:
Allow teams from A to transfer to something other than U and I think more folks would be interested.

If you do not like transfer to R, then at least if transfer to L was allowed, it would increase number of folks willing to have an A team around. Since after 5-10 games and the team is over the 150 limit - then can transfer to L and still use the team.

In addition new players that are playing A games can build up new teams and learn how to play in A, then instead of starting over can just transfer their teams right into one of a number of leagues and join right in the community.

Very good point Azure.

When i joined FUMBBL [L] & [U] still hadn't been split yet so was able to keep the 3 [A] teams i used to get used to the client.

When you are starting out you get attached to your teams so it would be good to be able to transfer them somewhere useful, also it's a real struggle to build up [L] teams.

It would give teacher coaches a bit more of an incentive to play [A] games too as they could keep the teams rather than trimming them down or retiring them.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

60-70% of the new coaches playing there never make it to academy-channel...

I'd propose an option to access it directly from the Java IRC applett... aswell as a note in the description of Academy Division when creating a new team.... would be a start... whatsoever....
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

G_Force wrote:
is it possible to allow the "teachers" to use a non progressive teams vs rookie students rather than have to constantly trim or restart?
maybe they have a few teams at set tr for games.
perhaps non these non progression A teams could be in addition to the 40 (I would have to retire before making new teams now) but am happy to help.

This is a very good point.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Allow coaches with less than say 50 or 100 games to transfer their teams to [L].

Option to use non prog teams vs prog. Or some kind of team reset back to TR100 or remove Skills/SPPs

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to see A removed.

A has nothing more to offer compared to U. There used to be an Academy group in U and that worked much better than trying to overly regulate A with it's own division.
Sigla

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally would like to see the upper TR limit raised from 150 to say 170. It would mean that Academy coaches are able to learn how to play and develop their teams for a little longer. As Azure rightly points out, coaches currently have to stop using their team in Academy after 5-10 games and keeping the team in Academy often means only having a fairly undeveloped team until you transfer it to Unranked. After 5-10 games, you may not feel confident enough with the team to start playing in Unranked.

Quote:

I like to see A removed.

A has nothing more to offer compared to U. There used to be an Academy group in U and that worked much better than trying to overly regulate A with it's own division.

Merging the two would certainly help to resolve one problem with both Unranked and Academy whereby there are often very few players in either. However, I suspect raw beginners may prefer to play other raw beginners or experienced coaches that will give them tips on how to improve.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I would much prefer to keep [A]cademy separate. i.e. experienced coaches know what kind of attitude they should have when they enter the division.

There is less incentive to cherry pick if your team cannot be advanced.
Special rules are easier to implement if it is a separate division.

I think that the TR cap should stay at 150. If you are in it to learn then 150 should be enough.
If you can transfer to [L] then your team can continue to progress and you can create a new [A] learning team.

What is the ETA for the [U]/[L] merge?

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulations Biggie with your new powers Wink.

I would like to re-think the concept of the academy division. Currently i think there are 4 kinds of coaches playing there:

1. FUMBBL regulars with a desire to teach bloodbowl-fu to new coaches
2. New coaches with a desire to learn Blodbowl-fu
3. Fumbbl regulars experimenting with new races, troll-less goblins, all linemen norse etc.
4. The types of http://fumbbl.com/~BLOODKILLERMACHO playing to do what those types do.

Broad generalization, i know, but please bear with me.

To put it bluntly, coaches 3 and 4 are not welcome in my idea of an academy division. The academy are there to teach new coaches the core rules of the game, assists, passing, planning ahead, fouling, skill synergies, doing safe moves first - all that jazz. Simply a learning division with X lessons (games) in which the teacher should focus on whichever lesson the new coach needs or asks for. Anyone who wants to be a teacher can be one provided that you are there for the right reasons and have some experience - it is not rocket science.

When that is established (and we'll need a lot of teachers and some good discussions on what the lessons should contain, how many lessons etc.) then the recruitment begins by putting more emphasis on [A] when a new coach joins the site through pop-ups, spam e-mail and whatnot (joking, obviously, but you get the idea).

I don't think you should be able to transfer your team away from [A]. When you have learned the basic rules you are ready for league/ranked/unranked. Go make a new team there.

Academy shouldn't try to impose a certain playing style on the new coaches. Whether 16 turns of fouling is hilarious or horrible and whether playing strictly elfball or pixel-hugging dwarfs vs. amazons is right or wrong simply does not belong in the academy as the academy should deal with the rules of the site and the rules of the game. In Ranked (which i consider to be the most normal step after academy) there will be lots of chances for a new coach to decide what is fun and what is not.

Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2009 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:

That all seems a bit serious. Smile

What about type 5?
5. Newish coaches that want to play vs other newish coaches or at least winnable games.

Sure, they could play in [R] and put up with all the moaning when they turn down a match. That is if they properly spot the cherry pick.

If you drive them out there will be even fewer people to play against in [A].

Some new coaches don't really need that much teaching. They have already played a fair bit of table top.

The no tree fling and all lino teams mean that the games can still be more competitive so more fun for both coaches.

Jump to: