47 coaches online • Server time: 20:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BiggieB

Post   Posted: May 02, 2009 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello fumbbl!

I tought I would share what my current vision is for the Academy division, adress some of the brilliant ideas in this awesome thread http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15982

But before we go into that Id like to make clear that even tough I am currently in charge of the division itself I dont see it going anywhere without your efforts and brilliant work. I am utterly grateful for the alturistic spirit that is within this community and the amount of people willing to help out! Thank you!

The Vision

The purpose of this division is to:

a) easy new coaches into the fumbbl enviorment
b) improve their coaching ability to a level where they are ready to stand on their own feet and hold their own in the other divisions
c) instill a healthy sense of fairplay and love for the game of bloodbowl (ie we dont want to breed cherrypickers.)

To achive this we will try to provide the resources (The User Guide, Coaches willing to help out, The division, The official channel et al) and an atmosphere which promotes these values.

What is currently being adressed

I spent 2 years in fumbbl_Academy a creation of BMM where I learned to play the game and met some of my best and longest lasting friends on fumbbl. Id like to think that those coaches spent enough time in that channel and participitated got instilled in those values. Quite frankly I consider that group a success. Sadly the group got dissolved when the academy division was created due to the reason that should remain forgotten Smile (mystical huh?)

What we are currently doing is:

a) We are brining in alot of people that are willing to help out and voicing them in the academy channel. The idea is that no matter when you go to the academy their should be friendly, comptenent and helpful people willing to help you out and maybe give ya the odd teaching game. pm me if you are interested in helping out!

b) Improved visibility and accesability. The current wikipage is quite lacking tbh. Ro has been working on a better and improved wikipage. Which once finished will hopefully be accessible directly from the site via a link such as the tournaments or faction link. If you are interested in helping out with this please contact Ro

c) The C.U.R.P. will be initiated shortly. The Community User Guide Review project will be an effort to adress the areas in which the user guide is lacking. The strategy guides are varying in level. And articles on important game mechanics will be reviewed and/or created aswell as makeing it more readly accesible. Now This is quite the daunting task. And anyone willing to help out are hugely welcome to pm me. There will be a coming news article on this

d) Transferability to L for coaches that have <200 games. This will be implemented when eventual issues with this have being ironed out and me and christer have figured out excatly how it will work. Christer is quite busy with the new client and other stuff so I dare not give any timeline for this. But it will be coming

Ideasthread Now lets adress some of the ideas in that excellent thread mentioned above

q) Main thing it needs is people there, willing to play teaching games against the new players. Perhaps a number of coaches would be willing to volunteer to play games in A for one night a week?

a) Yes this is exactly what I am looking for. Anyone interested please pm me!

q) This is something i have been thinking about for a while and wondered if it was do-able/ worth doing.

When a new coach joins the site they get a confirmation e-mail... i thought it would be good if this e-mail included a link for them to a single "welcome to the site" wiki page which would include links to all the stuff they need to know (yes i know there is the "help" button but as we all know people often fail to see it) as well as information about which channels to ask for help in.. starting in accademy... how to search the forums etc.

I realise this could be considered patronising to some but i think it would be helpfull for a lot of new coaches.

a) This is an excellent idea but the implementation of this should wait till the Academy Front and possibly the user guide is ready to run at full speed

q) Allow teams from A to transfer to something other than U and I think more folks would be interested.

If you do not like transfer to R, then at least if transfer to L was allowed, it would increase number of folks willing to have an A team around. Since after 5-10 games and the team is over the 150 limit - then can transfer to L and still use the team.

In addition new players that are playing A games can build up new teams and learn how to play in A, then instead of starting over can just transfer their teams right into one of a number of leagues and join right in the community.

a) Limited transferability is pending implementation but the idea is for the academy be an alturistic enviorment hence I am abit against "rewards" for helping out people settle in

q) is it possible to allow the "teachers" to use a non progressive teams vs rookie students rather than have to constantly trim or restart?
maybe they have a few teams at set tr for games.
perhaps non these non progression A teams could be in addition to the 40 (I would have to retire before making new teams now) but am happy to help.

is the timer on in [A] games? the clock ticking is the last thing you need when you are trying the client for new or asking / answering questions as you go along

Transfer to L sounds like a good option to me too although if the U L Merger takes place i imagine all academy teams will have the option to transfer to U/L or S accordingly

a) Mixing progression and non-progression is not really implemented on the site afaik. And it makeing and trimming a team for teachingpurposes is hardly such a daunting task. I think the idea is good but this will not be in consideration untill the current things that we are working on have been implemented or atleast are well underway.

q) 60-70% of the new coaches playing there never make it to academy-channel...

I'd propose an option to access it directly from the Java IRC applett... aswell as a note in the description of Academy Division when creating a new team.... would be a start... whatsoever....

a) hopefully the coming academy link will adress this Smile

q) I personally would like to see the upper TR limit raised from 150 to say 170. It would mean that Academy coaches are able to learn how to play and develop their teams for a little longer. As Azure rightly points out, coaches currently have to stop using their team in Academy after 5-10 games and keeping the team in Academy often means only having a fairly undeveloped team until you transfer it to Unranked. After 5-10 games, you may not feel confident enough with the team to start playing in Unranked.

a) This is a decent idea that requires more tought. I am not sure of this yet tough but I will give it alot of thinking. Another idea that will go on the pending/maybe list

Well that was it for this time. As usual all new ideas are well appreciated. And if you are interested to help out in any way shape or form please pm me!

best

B

Last edited by BiggieB on May 02, 2009 - 21:06; edited 1 time in total
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 02, 2009 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Question: how are you prepared to deal with "Imerikol style" coaches when they pop up?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Araznaroth

Post   Posted: May 02, 2009 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Get coaches as 'teachers' lol:)
BiggieB

Post   Posted: May 02, 2009 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Question: how are you prepared to deal with "Imerikol style" coaches when they pop up?

there will be a ruleset for A preventing such behaviour in div A. Consequences for breaking those rules will be the same as violating any other siterules. The rules will be done with the consultation of Christer of course. But there will not be any exploiting of the division for imerikol style coaches
 Jump to: