18 coaches online • Server time: 07:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the TS formula be adjusted?
Yes, the BBRC changes need to be accounted for
78%
 78%  [ 39 ]
No, leave it well enough alone
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 50

Sanglant

Post 22 Posted: Dec 08, 2003 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

With the changes to from the BBRC, should the TS calculations be adjusted at all?

The particular instance that comes to mind is the question of whether Piling On is now overvalued by the TS formula. Maybe there are other areas of the formula that need to be examined as well.

Is there a process/person/committee that reviews the TS formula on a periodic basis?
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

My dwarf longbeard was valued at 75K (cost 70K). OK, I know they are undercosted, but he got +1ST Only and his TS jumped to 150K. This cannot be serious, he does not even have AG 3.
I beleive this ST increase is overcosted in the TS ratio.
Bear in mind that he is 4/4/2/9 Block, tackle, thickskull. An Ogre is only 120K with more MA, ST, Mighty Blow etc etc. Bonehead aint that bad!!
Doowa

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

At some point the TS formula needs to be adjusted, if this is the time... it might be, yes Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the str calculations give too much value on some skill combo's, such as blodge. And also some stat increases are valued too much. For example a gobbo is worth 40k, but with +ma, 80k? I'd rather have 2 normal gobbos, a fling with one normal skill is still the same as a fling with no skills (15k). Put get a +ag on him and he's suddenly 67k. Well, I think the str system will never please every one. Maybe we should just stick to tr, that would also bring some odd games, when people are trying to figure out which team is stronger, the one with 10 niggles, or the one with 6 niggles, 2 -st and 2 -ma...
Jugular

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Dump the STR system altogether. Now we have handicaps TR is the essential part. I think MNG's should be dropped from TR for handicaps but that is all. If we keep the ST system I thought it had been adjusted already?! blodge is powerful and yes Bonehead is a negatrait. +ag should put a halfling up to more than 67k IMO. ag4, dodge and stunty is an excellent player. Not sure about the +ma on Gobbo's though.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Jugular wrote:
Dump the STR system altogether. Now we have handicaps TR is the essential part.

The STR system isn't going anywhere. The point of the system was to make the rankings more meaningfull. If you base the rankings only on TR, then it is possible to always look for games against teams that are overvalued. By that, I mean teams who's actual ability to win a game is far less than their TR would suggest. This is far from a hypothetical situation, a number of the people who where at the top of the old ranking system where there only because of their ability to hunt down the most mismatched games.

If you don't like the STR stystem, don't pick your games by it, it's as simple as that. If you think it's easier to look at each team's roster yourself before playing to try and figure out just how likely it is to be a good matchup, more power to you.

The Finishing Touch
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr-Klipp wrote:
If you don't like the STR stystem, don't pick your games by it, it's as simple as that. If you think it's easier to look at each team's roster yourself before playing to try and figure out just how likely it is to be a good matchup, more power to you.

The man's got a point. You could even make a group for coaches who want to add teams specifically with the point of ignoring it. Mo' Options == Mo' Bettah.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

A variation on ur usual BMM! I'm shocked SmileSmile
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2004 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

ninja pirate something something....

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The game was design so that so teams would be more powerful than other teams halflings are never meant to have a good shot at winning they are halflings for crist sakes and this is a game of strength and agility. so they overpriced halfling for a very valid reason halflings aren't suppose to win same with gobos. they can win but they aren't suppose to. if you decide to choose halflings and gobos don't ever expect a fair game and don't expect to win.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

And yet, if you *do* win, the ranking should reflect the fact that you overcame serious obstacles to get that win, and the lower str value of halflings makes that happen.

The Finishing Touch
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 05:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel fairly sure that Team strength already was modified for the BBRC changes, for example getting rid of the increased value of Piling On. I'm pretty sure it was a news item, though I have no idea how to hunt for old news postings...maybe Christer or someone else could confirm?
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Swilhelm73: I saw a news post about those changes. Christer posed it.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I have absolutely nothing against the ST-system, but feel like I have something to say never the less... Got an idea when reading some the more negative posts about the issue and came up with an idea;

Why not have ST-ranking as a hidden feature. That way it can still be used for the ranking purpose, without "getting in the way" of the handicap system (I am much in favour of the handicap system, btw). The main downside would be not being able to get feedback on the system in the same way as is done now.

This is one solution of the problem, probably not the best one though. Less whining and more constructive thoughts would be nice, not only on this issue, but on others as well.

My 15 öre... (2 cents)

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Mord - sorry, not a good idea (IMO of course). Too many people use the STR ratings to size up matchups. Plus since Christer has made the whole calculation public, coaches have noticed STR inconsistencies on their rosters and Christer, has in turn, made some tweaking of the formula to make the STR better.

Jump to: