53 coaches online • Server time: 18:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 25, 2009 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ullakkomorko wrote:
Meech wrote:

Don't give that to the Scots. They'd deep fry it.

Looks like a hard salami roll stuffed with melted cheese. Probably something good with bacon on it.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2009 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Howdy folks.

I'm only a few days old in the BlackBox, and have found it to be pretty fun in the whole of things. I started with one team (goblins), and also made some ogres. Sk8bcn was kind enough to inform me that matches are more or less TS-based, so the two races I have so far are tougher to get games for due to their lower TS scores.

I was first informed about the box being a bit more random, where CAS are more "accepted". I wasn't sure at first if people went out of their way to destroy teams, or CAS them until I made my own teams to participate. I will tell you that chainsaw'ing and bombing dudes is so much fun, as I had never played goblins before.

I really enjoy the challenge of playing "lesser" races in the Box. I'm nowhere near the talent of some of the coaches in there (CircularLogic, pizzamogul, jesperius, etc. just to name a few). The BB seems to provide an excellent opportunity for me to play the races I wouldn't normally play in (R) for whatever reason. I hope to soon make some necros, and even try a Nurgle team.

What EXACTLY is the MAIN gripe about the Blackbox? I would like to understand a bit more about it, and try to offer constructive advice/help. As stated, I've only been playing in B since Saturday, and I have been having a great time with it. Seems like it could be a lot of fun, and much easier than waiting around and hoping for a smack to start.

So, is it:

(A) You don't get to play the team you want to play at the time that you wish to play them.

(B) There is a lack of variety of races in the Black Box

(C) The box is too bashy.

(D) I'm constantly left out of the scheduler.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to see more than only 8 coaches at a time activating, with 90+ sitting in the channel.

Thanks!
Apojar
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: May 26, 2009 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

this will probably work better under LRB using TV and the whole TR/TS fiasco can be dropped
BiggieB

Post   Posted: May 26, 2009 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
this will probably work better under LRB using TV and the whole TR/TS fiasco can be dropped

ts is a much more accurate measure of team strenght then tv Smile but the exploiters are mostly gone now. Its just a bunch of friendly coaches

and

peikko Very Happy
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 26, 2009 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Apojar:
There are split opinions. There is a group, for which A is the major gripe and often those coaches don`t play [B] because of it. The other complaintifs are bored and annoyed by reason B and deep in their heart it`s abit of C, too.

Grumbledook:
Could you restrict your LRB5-fanboy-propaganda to places where you make abit of sense? TV isn`t nearly as accuratly describing the real power of a team as TS does and I don`t really see TS leaving FUMBBL. Thank you for your cooperation.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 27, 2009 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Apojar wrote:
What EXACTLY is the MAIN gripe about the Blackbox? I would like to understand a bit more about it, and try to offer constructive advice/help. As stated, I've only been playing in B since Saturday, and I have been having a great time with it. Seems like it could be a lot of fun, and much easier than waiting around and hoping for a smack to start.

So, is it:

(A) You don't get to play the team you want to play at the time that you wish to play them.

(B) There is a lack of variety of races in the Black Box

(C) The box is too bashy.

(D) I'm constantly left out of the scheduler.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to see more than only 8 coaches at a time activating, with 90+ sitting in the channel.

Thanks!
Apojar

My own perception about the whole story.

Everything starts with Ranked.

These points are important to understand what brings us to [B] (IMO):
-Cherrypicking allows you in Ranked to get a better Coach Ranking (supposed not to interess the masses overall, but everyone plays R as it is "easier" to get games)=>the consequence is that some people believes (wrongly) that high CR coaches are just a bunch of cherrypickers.
-Game selection: the perception in R is that -Elves avoid bashers-/-20 offers of bashers jumps on an elf coach as soon as he joins the gamefinder-

Those two points brought the Blackbox True Coach Ideal:

>If one couldn't pick his opponent, hence not cherrypick race/opponent, he could prove his real skill, the "true competitive division".

But you might be an R player, competitive, skilled, knowing the art of metagaming. And of course, be annoyed by the idea that you are just able to exploit one hole in a formula.

So started some discussion about the Box: Basically, one side said it was the True Way to play bloodbowl. The other side said it would be filled with bashers wanting to maul the other teams. It would allow to let free the pure bashing envy of some coaches.

Blackbox started strong, even beating R games. It was new, full of bashers and killer teams, willing to prove themselves right/do something they couldn't do in R/scared to play bashers so they made some themselves.

Blackbox was in alpha phase:
-The Blackbox CR was taken in account to pick matchups, meaning that if you are good, you would eventually play stronger and stronger opponents, which didn't pleased most
-the diversity of teams was disgusting for some
-You couldn't see your ranking, so there was no goal (which is ironic as many says that Ranked would be better without any ranking)

So some people left (especially):
-Team killers: they wanted to destroy teams but if each time, you face another team killer, what's the point?

corrections have been brought in (CR doesn't count for match making/Box Ranking displayed/DP value adjusted) making the box funnier.

But it didn't mean people went back, even if they said that's what they were looking for (globally-not a few single coaches).

The box today suffers from:
-a false perception: it's not crowded with bashers
-a lack of advertising.

However, it works ok. It would need roughly to double the number of players.

The current lambda B coach plays:
->A variety of races
->Doesn't care about his pixels
->Is really pleased to be out of the metagaming aspects of game selection
->Likes the quickness of gamefinding

The rest is a "leurre". You need a specific mindset to play in B. That's why it will never be half as succesfull as Ranked. But those in here probably loves it a lot more than R.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2009 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

leurre?

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 27, 2009 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

french word. I think it translates into Lure or lurre in english.

Not totally sure though

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2009 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

* Now talking in #FumbblBlackbox
* Topic is 'http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blackbox :: Check your Award page!'
* Set by Nuffle on Sat Apr 25 19:28:44
* wooti has joined #FumbblBlackbox
<BowlBot> Processing round.
<BowlBot> Found 5 coaches.
<BowlBot> Not enough coaches to start.
<molt> bah
<WhiskeyTraveler> Rah! lol
<wooti> I'm surprized there were 5 (:
<meanjean> aww
<molt> theres ALWAYS five
<meanjean> I just missed it
<meanjean> Sad
<meanjean> sory guys
<wooti> its your fault then
<BeeRTRuCK> damn
* Tribble has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
<BeeRTRuCK> me 2
<meanjean> It is
<wooti> no problem
<molt> crucify him!
<meanjean> im such a bad person
<WhiskeyTraveler> so it was you lol
odi

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2009 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think we really have a problem with the minimum team thingy anymore. If the point was getting more diversity into the box. My last games list looks like that, and I'm starting to think there's a pretty nice diversity among the most favored races.

DE
Dwarf
HE
DE
Chaos
DE
CD
Necro
Orc
Goblin
CD
Orc
Chaos
Orc
Ogre
Chaos
Orc
WE
Orc
Dwarf
Norse
CD
Necro
Chaos

Sure there's a few chaos and orcs in there, but for some reason I dont seem to be facing off vs 6 DP Khemri teams that much anymore Very Happy
 Jump to: