30 coaches online • Server time: 02:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2009 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Barre wrote:
Allowing skins would be a great, but obviously would probably be one of the last priorities

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Esch wrote:
I think it would be nice to use the dead space on the sides for team stats of some kind. Maybe break it down to the players being used at the time too, although action may move too fast to read the info before it switches to the next player.

So perhaps for team stats it shows win/loss record against each type of race that team has played. How successful the team is at passing/blocking,etc. For player stats it could be much of the info that is shown on the individual player pages for collective stats of all matches, etc.

I remember when the dark elf team was released for Bloodbowl 3rd Ed reading in White Dwarf magazine a replay of a bloodbowl match. They had Jervis and someone else being match commentators and writing humourous comments in italics of the events of the match.

I like this... it got me thinking - if commentators popped in from the side when you are spectating or when its not your go - and said some cheesy dialog based on team data. it would be really cool.

"The Lowdown Rats are really playing a clean game... 0 casulties so far this match... wait Jervis, whats that buzzing sound?"
"Thats Gobbla Blackwart and his chainsaw! 4 RIPs in last 3 Games, Dodge, Jump Up. Things are about to get very messy!"
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Something like this:

In order for it to not to get tiresome we would need large numbers of race specific comments. by the comments being race specific a) you'll only hear the same comments when you play the same race again. b) the client will only have to download a smaller comments file at the start of the match.

I foresee a comment being triggered by certain actions,and limited to a maximum of 1 comment per turn.
The chance of the commenary being triggered would be the result of the other players actions: eg 20% for a foul, 10% for a blitz, 20% for an injury, 50% for a td, 10% for a skull skull, 100% for a skull skull skull with a big guy. The numbers can be tweaked and debated at a later date.

It would not affect the pace of the game as they would only trigger on your opponents turn.

imag coming soon

Note in the screenshot you can still see the most recent conversation below and the entire pitch. The boxes would disappear only after a click anywhere on the screen, so you would have time to read it. It would be necessary to ensure that diaglogs were not triggered until the comments were removed, so if a diving tackle, sidestep, block in your favour etc came up a quick click would clear it and you would not pick the wrong option accidently.

Also, found out that the commentators in the rulebook are called Jim Johnson and Bob Bifford Smile

Last edited by Molt on %b %09, %2009 - %14:%Jun; edited 3 times in total
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

oops duplicate post

Last edited by Molt on %b %09, %2009 - %13:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

[url=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1408/anim1.th.gif]Image[/URL]

Here is animated gif of what it could look like...
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

And before anyone says this should not be a priority blah blah - yes, thats obvious, however the program can be built with this feature in mind for the future and we as a community (who have no other way of contrubuting other than reporting bugs) can help think of the dialog so it will be ready to go in.

So the question is - do we like it (putting the sidebar graphics issue aside as this is much cooler)
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2009 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the graphics. I'm not entirely sure if I like those particular graphics (a-symetric without being team-themed) but they add a nice feel to it. I'd like the graphics to either be symetric by default or possible to set according to the races/teams used.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2009 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I chose those characters because they are from the introduction to the rulebook. They add an extra bit of synergy with the boardgame. I personnaly like the asymetry - Bob Bifford is clearly a hulking blocker while Jim Johnson is a sneaky scrawny dirty player of a character. The different width of their portaits help show this.

I thought about the possibility of having commentators for each race - but that would add many complications - a goblin doesn't speak like a dwarf for example, so we would need a set of comments for every race that each commentator could talk about... a total of 431 combinations!

That would be pretty awesome - but also a mammoth task!
Archevol

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2009 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this is a really good idea. Someone start a thread for anyone willing to post something funny/interesting that could be used for commentary!

I'd be happy to thrower a bunch of comments in. I don't think I'd be alone in doing so.

However, a bit of input from Christer et al would probably be useful as whether or not it is a manageable concept, programming-wise.
peikko

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2009 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Most annoying feature but why not if one can turn it off.
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2009 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Archevol wrote:
However, a bit of input from Christer et al would probably be useful as whether or not it is a manageable concept, programming-wise.

As I see it there would be a fair amount of work programming wise to implement it:
1. Logic would have to be added to calculate when something noteworthy had occurred and create an event to be sent to the clients.

2. comments files and commentator pictures would have to be stored on the fumbbl site, and the code written into client to download it

[OPTIONAL]
3. Team and coach data could also be retrieved from the website's database either directly, or in a generated text file (like team rosters are currently).

4. code to determine whether to show the commentary based on percentage values from the commentary file. It would then generate the text that will be displayed(possibly inserting into it team and coach data).

5. the commentators would need to slide onto the screen, and display their dialogue to the coach. Code would also need writing to hide all the commentary boxes if the coach clicks on the screen.

Nevertheless I think it would be worth the effort Very Happy and the more I think about it the more I like the idea of having commentaries for every race combination. The commentators from the rulebook could be used as placeholders if certain combinations haven't been completed.

[url=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1408/anim1.th.gif]Image[/URL] (this mockup is what we are talking about now)
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2009 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my list of actions that are unusual enough (or game changing enough) to merit commentry. Some events are very rare and so would always be commented on (ie SKULL, SKULL rerolled SKULL, SKULL) and others would get commented on only occasionally eg bonehead on an ogre team. Anything entertaining that I missed?

ballcarrier
a successful TD
a failed rerolled gfi with the ballcarrier
a successful tentacle vs ballcarrier
a successful foul appearance vs blitz on ballcarrier
a successful shadowing vs ballcarrier
a successful diving tackle vs ballcarrier

blocking
a successful 2db (or 3db) in other players favour resulting in a knockdown
a skull skull after a reroll
a skull skull skull
a player killed by a block

fouling and crowdpushing

a second crowdpush within a single turn
a successful argue the call
a player killed by a foul
a player killed by a crowdpush

big guy
a successful pickup/catch ball
a successful throw teammate
a TD scored by a big guy
a player killed by a big guy
a failed take root
a failed boneheaded/really stupid
a failed OFAB
a failed WA
a failed always hungry roll
a dropped stunty on TTM

secret weapons
a fumbled bomb
a detonated bomb
an accurate blunderbuss shot
a 'kickback' with the chainsaw
a foul with a deathroller
a foul with a chainsaw

actions
a successful 6+ dodge (with no standfirm)
a successful 6+ pickup
a successful 6+ pass
a successful leap
a successful 5+ diving catch
a successful interception
a successful stunty landing

wizards
use of a fireball
use of a lightning bolt
lightning bolt hitting your own team member

kick off results
pitch invasion
rock
blitz
weather changed to something other than good weather
get the ref

Last edited by Molt on %b %12, %2009 - %16:%Jun; edited 10 times in total
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2009 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

fanatics don't collapse anymore -- they also no longer have to act first, they have a tackle zone and can be blocked, use assists normally (goblin coach decides who his goblins assist in case of a block against a teammate), and prone/stunned players pushed by a fanatic suffer an armour roll (like a foul, but with no ejection)

and chainsaws are always on, but they 'kick back' on a roll of 1 prior to any attack (block or foul) with them
Molt

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2009 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

ok removed fanatic, and changed wording on chainsaw
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2009 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to add commentary then it needs to be audio clips played automatically like the cyanide game.... or it needs to be a spectator feature, perhaps some users could be designated commentator privaleges or something. I cant see repetitive text boxes that keep popping up improving the "feel" and mood of the game.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: