38 coaches online • Server time: 12:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cthol

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just played a game, and my opponent conceded because i took too long over my moves, I think he had to go... i guess i feel bad since he'd been really patient with me and my problems with connecting in the first place, and then i killed two of his players... sorry about that, Tedage:) well, not sorry for the killing, that's part of the game, although i do comiserate.

Now, i certainly didn't deliberately take ages to make him quit, I guess my pooter must just be too slow. I'm just wondering now: how fast do people actually play? like, is 23 minutes to get to turn 6 too long?
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

if you took 23 minutes to get to turn 6, it means you played 10 turns (5 each) in 23 minutes averaging about 2 minutes and 20 seconds a turn, i think that is totally acceptable, when it goes nearer 4 minutes then start to worry, if it goes above 4 minutes, then IMHO it is too long
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

A match can be played in 1 to 1,5 hours imho. That includes prematch sequence (connecting and stuff) and after match sequence (uploading)

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on the situation and the kind of game... I tend to take longer when playing in a Tournament than I do in Open...

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

That's about what I average (2.5 min/turn) and no one's ever complained.

(Well, one or two have. But if no one complained I would start thinking something had gone seriously wrong with the universe....)

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think he conceded because of the deads, more than of time.

Probably he said that you were too slow, but having 2 players killed it will be always more upsetting than a slow coach, imo.

marco

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats 2,5 minutes per turn (if he only took 5 minutes with his 6 turns) so theres nothing to complain about.
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have a bad connection it can make it seem like you're taking an eternity too.

A recent opponent kept prompting me to play despite the fact that I was (several lines of "go"/"you're turn"/"play".... would come up in the chat box when we finally caught up with one another) -- and despite the fact that I'd pointed out we had a bad connection (ping of 7.5 seconds at one point).

One of my turns took about 20 seconds on my side due to a double skull roll and he was still complaining about it cause it took about a minute and a half on his side....

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

2m 25s / round is slow, but its not that uncommon, so I dont really see a problem there. The real problem are people who regularly spend 4-8 minutes /turn. Its a real pity that the 4 minute rule cant be implemented here.. Still, it is in the LRB, and I think people should pay it heed. Its just plain rude to spend that much time on a round.
Mordachai

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Again - that depends on the situation. In a tricky situation I'd rather take my four minutes than go do something stupid that will cost me the match. I always play to win - sometimes that takes time.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually like to finish a game with 50mins...

Z
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It is entirely not your fault cthol - for reasons like that the rule that one shouldn't start a game one isn't sure about being able to finish is there, in the first place.

-Mnemon
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually take about 1:30-2:00 minutes per turn, and I think that really should be everyone's aim. Of course, in critical situations I do take longer, and I don't have much of problem usually when the same is true for my opponent.

Taking 2:30 min a turn is a bit slow, but not too bad. I have conceded before because my opponent was too darn slow - of course he had in his first 7 turns had a 6+, 5+, and a 4+ minute turn.

Basically, have some consideration for the person you are playing against - they may well not have the time for a two hour+ game. So, if you can't generally finish your turns in less then 4 min, tell your opponent before you start playing, and if your opponent notes that you are over 4 min, for God's sake stop pondering, and at least move all your pieces as fast as you can.

The 4 min rule is unlikely to be implemented any time soon because of things like lag, stepping away from the computer, sidestep, etc. unfortunately, so we all just have to try and be considerate and remember that the Bloodbowl rule does say 4 min is the limit...
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh. In my league, we play 2... in RL that is.

Z
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2003 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The lag and proxy problems and whatever else, are the main reason hasnt been implemented. I was playing a match recently and my foe suddenly ended his turn. I asked why and he said he was practicing for a RL tourney and had gone over. I hadnt even noticed. For the rest of the game I tried to follow his example. I wish I could single him out by name, but I have had motly stellar foes of late and between that and a bad headcold, they kind of blurred together.
 Jump to: