38 coaches online • Server time: 12:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Crimsonwolf

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2009 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

- def909 vs Crimsonwolf (Orc 146/146 vs 134/126 Chaos) @645

And I was the other half of this match. If I could pull up all the match summeries I would show that this was the second or third time the team faced a team that was 15 TS better after the handicap adjustments. And yes chaos/chaos and orc/zons would have been two much better matchups with the lower team only down 7 instead of 15.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2009 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see a similar chart of the last 10 matches in ranked put together. I wonder if the match ups are any better.
treborius

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2009 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
I'd like to see a similar chart of the last 10 matches in ranked put together. I wonder if the match ups are any better.

i think this is not the point. i'm a big fan of the Box (i haven't played a single R-match in month), but just 'cause something else isn't better doesn't mean there's no room for improvements in the Box, i think Wink
the Box is in alpha-testing and there's a reason for that, let's actually work on making it (even) better Smile
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2009 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't get me wrong. Just adding to the discussion. I really would like to see the last 10 matchups and see how the human offering and accepting rates to the blackbox. No clue whether the matchups are better or worse off hand. I do know that I have thought oh man why did I get this matchup and ended up a great match maybe with a win.
lawman

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2009 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw or RSC by themselves are rated correctly. Claw+MB and RSC+MB OR Claw/RSC seems underweight. The main factor is that the combo of Claw/RSC either way makes that player a designated blitzer especially with the horned chaos hitter. Mix tackle/Multiblock/etc and the player can be lethal requiring much luck or very specific movements of players that normally do not match most game styles.

Dirty Player got upped dramtically, thereby increasing the value of MB/Claw/RSC as skills in retrospect. They now in comparison of death dealing seem slightly better to have in comparison.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2009 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:
well, some of this games were a bit unfair, which, as always, doesn't make the box unfair.

I say 15TS is ok. If you start to find 15 beeing too much, and reduce it to 12, then 12 will be too much...

i agree, that the box is ok in general, but i think the 2 match-ups above are not acceptable (i'd rather not play than having a match-up like that).
the real question still remains: why the 2 chaos-teams weren't scheduled vs. one another as they had only a TS-difference of 7 (instead of 15)?

personally, i haven't had such bad match-ups myself, so far (as far as i can remember) and i'm just wondering whether or not something has changed as i can't remember ever seeing a matching-score below 650 Sad

also, i think that the acceptable TS-difference should (at least in part) be dependent on the TS-band (i.e. TS-difference=15 or even 20 is really not that much around 250, but it's a whole lot around 100)

I did count 9 games a little bit one sided of of 74 games. However most were during alpha stage 1 (BR taken into account) and lately I just count 1 (and I don't count my last game. Went loopsided thanks to handicaps with -Greatest, Morley on 3 guys, Iron man- Very Happy).

But also, I have 4 teams, that helps reducing the proba to have a loopsided match.

Then, after, why wasn't the better matchup picked, well, I d say unluck. That's it.

@Circ: IMO, you are too giving too much importance to the win percentage. Even with 15TS, it's still fair.You will maybe have 75% victory instead of 80% but as it counts for everyone, it's ok, no?

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2009 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The way I see it, Nuffle doesnt want anyone to win all of their games, so sometimes he throws a curve ball...
Sure, I've had some unbalanced games, for and against, but that's part of the thrill. Being the underdog, and trying to win the games while my rats are being stomped to the ground Smile
treborius

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2009 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

well, maybe it was just 1 weird round that i happened to witness...
i've also started to play a few teams and try to activate with one that's kind of in-between TS-wise, such that it's unlikely to get a very extreme match-up Wink
 Jump to: