18 coaches online • Server time: 07:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quozl

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for the BOTOCS lrb5/6 client. I'm slightly confused by two, well progressed, lrb5 clients, and amn't sure which one is being discussed here...

Botocs .6 hangs at startup on a Debian Lenny Linux box. Problem is, I believe, because the java app cannot access the sound device - there were no /dev/dsp compatibility devices.

IMO the app should try to use sound, and if it fails, should timeout and continue without sound.

I believe this is the cause as:
Once I installed a compatibility layer, which provides /dev/dsp, BOTOCS worked.
If I lock the sound devices by using another audio app suchs as rhythmbox, the BOTOCS launching lockup returns.
If I launch BOTOCS, disable sound, and then exit, it will no longer lockup if I'm using another audio app.

Another, very minor issue is: BOTOCS expects true/false in the xml to be lowercase. Python represents booleans in string-form as True/False, so I can't simply print a boolean in python to get a suitable match for the XML.
It's very minor, but it would be nice if the BOTOCS xml parser did a case-insensitive comparision on these boolean values.

BTW, I've updated the real-world bloodbowl website http://bloodbowl-ireland.org that I run (fairly modified Nuffle software) to allow exporting teams in the correct XML format for BOTOCS. Thanks a lot for this fantastic client!
Ludovicious

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

its not the proper place, but im sure an admin will fix this soon =)

Why do you want to print a boolean string? if its a problem im sure there must be a number of compilers that can fix this problem, right? however, I'm new to linux so I might be wrong.

You may solve the sound issue by putting "aoss" in the launch script:

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/klaus/Spil/Blood_Bowl/botocs/Botocs_0.6

aoss java -jar BBowl.jar

exit

/ludo

edit: you need to have the alsa-oss package installed.
quozl

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I have it working - I installed the compatibility layer for pulse-audio. Reporting the bug so that it can be fixed.

As to the second thing, I needed to print a boolean value so that a python bloodbowl website I run can more easily export teams in xml format for the client. The default representation of a python boolean as a string is True or False. The BOTOCs client wants true or false.

I've worked around it with a simple if/else, it's not a big deal, I'm just suggesting it would be preferable if it was case-insensitive in this instance.
Ludovicious

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to hear mate, I was under the impression it would still lock up after installing the comp layer.

here is the bug rapport mail: botocs@free.fr to deaf

/ludo
 Jump to: