27 coaches online • Server time: 03:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

To help strengthen the community feel on FUMBBL, it could be nice to add some fluff on the news page on a regular basis (ok, ok, not my idea, the genius known as Christer prodded me). Below are some early ideas, and I have some questions:

What do you people think of these ideas as news-reading FUMBBL coaches?
Do you have suggestions?
Do you have other ideas?
Would you be willing to help out as a writer and/or illustrator.

None of the following ideas are meant to replace the GLN. All of these ideas are meant to be released on a per-article-basis and not as a huge structured undertaking. That way way get a steady trickle of FUMBBL fluff instead of long periods with little fluff followed by a sudden concentrated explosion with the release of a new GLN. As a general rule the writers for these projects can not write articles on themselves or any of their own players or teams. The only way they could contribute to articles in which they are involved is in interview form.

My FUMBBL Heroes: Lord Splutticus writes about teams, coaches, players and matches that have been etched in his memory. Delving into his Recordopedia archive and personal memory, he spins mythical tales about legendary people, teams and events. (legendary is also an incredible streak of bad luck for instance)

Who's Who in Bloodbowl: Articles from the legendary encyclopedia "Who's Who in Bloodbowl". These player, team and coach profiles are filled with cold hard stats and quaint little background stories.

Recordopedia Trivia: Well basically extra background info on material in the record-book. Linking certain records, giving some extra info on them, or just some funny ***Did you knows

Straight from the Gutter:
This sensationalist Bloodbowl magazine, which most serious journalist call "the Gutter", brings you news fresh from the dressing room! If you want to read to read the latest Bloodbowl gossip, look no further. This magazine brings heated interviews and if it can't find news, it creates it. Some even rumour that the last thing Valdrek Bloodgaze did before being killed by a supporter was turn down an interview with the Gutter. The Gutter would from time to time also focus on the hardships of regular FUMBBL coaches instead of just focussing on the elite.

Last edited by Lord_Splutticus on %b %15, %2009 - %13:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

(Wow, a typo in the topic title, way to go Spluttster, and you try to sell yourself as a writer/editor) EDIT: Typo corrected, community now has 2 M's

Last edited by Lord_Splutticus on %b %15, %2009 - %13:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Postie

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds awesome,
Would love to read some good fluff about everything that happended over time.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

MOAR fluff!

please

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else care to offer help or an opinion?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If its being posted in the news section then it should be documenting or building around recent events. Trivia and "did you know?" stuff is nice but we already have lots of resources for that.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
If its being posted in the news section then it should be documenting or building around recent events. Trivia and "did you know?" stuff is nice but we already have lots of resources for that.

Sounds reasonable, so do you then mean material based on recent stuff (like the Gutter) in the News section and older stuff in user-guide wiki, or revive the GLN, or something else ?

BTW, apart from the defunct GLN and the Recordopedia, what outlets are there for fluff? I am really interested in fluff, so discovering hidden gems would really make my day Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Recent information about games played in the last 24 hours / last week? I was thinking about random stuff like

* "Yesterday, more High Elves (X) died on the pitch than any other race. They need to learn how to defend themselves."
* "The coach coachname just won his 10th game in a row. Can somebody stop him?"
* "In the past week, X goblins were eaten. This is a reminder to all coaches to feed your Trolls BEFORE the match."
* Yesterday, more Orc teams (X) played than any other team. Guess they like their Blood Bowl.
* In the past week, the team teamname played more games (X) than anyone else. Their coach must really like them.
* Yesterday, of X games played, not a single Nurgle team won a game! Better luck next time boys!

Dunno, maybe someone has better ideas than me.

Oscar Wilde
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Recent information about games played in the last 24 hours / last week? I was thinking about random stuff like

* "Yesterday, more High Elves (X) died on the pitch than any other race. They need to learn how to defend themselves."
* "The coach coachname just won his 10th game in a row. Can somebody stop him?"
* "In the past week, X goblins were eaten. This is a reminder to all coaches to feed your Trolls BEFORE the match."
* Yesterday, more Orc teams (X) played than any other team. Guess they like their Blood Bowl.
* In the past week, the team teamname played more games (X) than anyone else. Their coach must really like them.
* Yesterday, of X games played, not a single Nurgle team won a game! Better luck next time boys!

Dunno, maybe someone has better ideas than me.

Those ideas sound extremely cool, but would need us to gain access to the database (which seems a bit much to ask), unless if we just make up some of the more exotic numbers, but that would kinda defeat the purpose, no ?

Last edited by Lord_Splutticus on %b %15, %2009 - %14:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Postie

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Btw didn't we have something like this a long time ago?
I remember browsing this website when i first joinend and a lot of Did You know boxes were around.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Postie wrote:
Btw didn't we have something like this a long time ago?
I remember browsing this website when i first joinend and a lot of Did You know boxes were around.

Yup, the Trivia section of my Recordopedia

Last edited by Lord_Splutticus on %b %15, %2009 - %17:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

splut i think its a great idea as anything which helps to grow any aspect of teh fumbbl comunity is hugely important (great comunity has often been highlighted as our big advantage over cyanide) but its going to be hard work.
since the passing of cusi no-one managed to make the GLN work properly for whatever reason and i think thats a real shame (not that i could do better in the slightest) but i like the idea of a new magazine- rather than reviving the gln- with a new approach to give it some new energy and the other ideas sound cool too.

a big problem as i understand it has always been the difficulty in getting contibutions in from the comunity. my ideas/ thoughts (which are probably worthless but i like sharing them anyway) on this are:

1) you (and any staff) need to be hugely enthusiastic and supportive in getting contributions in

2) you need to carefully target certain members of the comunity who are known for their love of fluff and pull in their involvement

3) the newer coaches could be a huge source of input here. they often have new ideas on old topics and a lot of enthusiasm

4) you need to be realistic with the timeframe. its better to do all the initial hype then us wait 3 months before we even hear a release date rather than be promised it in a month and then hear nothing for 3. take as long as is needed at first before you start introducing solid deadlines

5) would it be possible for contributers to get something (other than the warm fuzzy feeling of having helped)? even if it was just a gold/ silver contribution badge like the donation one?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:

5) would it be possible for contributers to get something (other than the warm fuzzy feeling of having helped)? even if it was just a gold/ silver contribution badge like the donation one?

Guess that would be up to Christer... Far above my security clearance...

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i know but as you hinted that christer was wanting the fluff side built up it might be worth looking at

think how cool if would be to be an official "fumbbl fluffer" Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2009 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:

1) you (and any staff) need to be hugely enthusiastic and supportive in getting contributions in

Are you suggesting a ful-fledged "Fluff-Admin team" that mirrors that of FUMBBL proper with for instance:
Free-lancers

Journalists (like Monkeys, regular contributors that can help freelancers and have proven they are capable of making contributions with outside help)

Editors (like Gorillas, with editorial powers)

Editors-in-chief (like Christer and Peikko)

Jump to: