15 coaches online • Server time: 07:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nemeton

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I didnt write this, but found it somewhere on the net a long time ago, and while I might not agree with all of the rules or at least think that there are exceptions to some of them, I do think that they are 10 very good rules for new players to know and think they should be added to the user guide, and if they already are then I would like a link to them Wink

The Ten Golden Blood Bowl Rules:

1. Do All Non-Dice Roll Moves First
If the Ball is in Range of an opponent always cover it with these moves, protect the ball!

2. Do important 2 dice blocks second!
Your blitz should be the most important and well thought out block of your turn. Your Blitz should always be a 2 dice block if you can make it one and should garner you an important field position.

3. Do your important 1d6 ball rolls next (i.e. picking up, handing off the ball etc).
The ball should be protected so even if you mishandle the ball you can still recover from this roll next turn.

4. Next, if you feel inclined, do your unimportant 1 dice blocks.
Remember that positioning is important; if you fail a 1dice block you just gave your opponent an opportunity to move a player wherever he wants to freely. Many times it is better to lave a lineman holding a position so the other team can't move their player rather than fail a risky 1dice block.

5. Assume every single roll you make will fail miserably.
Try to see where that will leave you (in terms of field position) when it happens. If you have a big hole on your flank, for example, try to close it up before hitting the enemy. Double skulls happen... with alarming frequency.

6. Never pass up a touchdown unless you are 100% confident you can safely stall.
Need I explain?!

7. Watch your opponent.
Try to predict what his next move is going to be. Additionally, try to plan on where you will want to be during your next turn. Helps your tactics and makes the game move faster.

8. Foul like a surgeon not like a clubber.
Foul tactically or strategically and when you do make it count, fouling a 0spp lineman because he was there is lame unless you have the ref, fouling a strength 5 wardancer is just good sense.

9. Never scream at the opposing coach and call them names!
Remember, no matter how much you love your wardancer or your Ogre, they will eventually die or niggle, its just a game and the fellow playing you did not just slap your mother. Take it in stride. Never EVER drop out of a game because of a casualty.

10. Score Touchdowns!
Keeping your opponents from scoring touchdowns and scoring your own are the keys to winning a Blood Bowl Match, I know this seems obvious but it’s easy to get carried away and forget this vital rule during a bout of total carnage!
krytie

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

in the strategy&help pages and in this sticky

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly good advice and a lot of it is in the first sticky topic in the tactics and strategy forum http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1850

just 1 mistake in both though Wink

Nemeton wrote:
8. Foul like a surgeon not like a clubber.
Foul tactically or strategically and when you do make it count, fouling a 0spp lineman because he was there is lame unless you have the ref, fouling a strength 5 wardancer is just good sense.

[/i]

paulhicks> to be safe its best to foul everything in range every turn.. that way your less likely to miss an important tactical foul
<Mr_Foulscumm> also good advice
<Manbush> LOL
<Manbush> indeed
<Manbush> there is no arguing that even if I wanted to Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Holy cow!

I mostly agree with you and am quite surprised to see the #8 point about fouling in there.

I know I've given you a hard time in the past and was on your blacklist for a long time, so it's good to know that people's views can change. Thanks for removing me from the black list, even though I hardly play these days and it is as such unlikely that we'll meet on the pitch.

EDIT: Oh, I've glossed over the initial paragraph. Thought you wrote that. Still, good to see you've amended your policies on the black list, though.

Last edited by Optihut on Aug 08, 2009 - 12:04; edited 1 time in total
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason not to foul as a first action is that you need a prone or stunned player for it. God bless throw a rock though;-)
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Melmoth wrote:
The only reason not to foul as a first action is that you need a prone or stunned player for it. God bless throw a rock though;-)

Some people prefer a stun on thrown rock so they can foul that player?

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer stun on a thrown Rock, but is only bec I have suffered too many RIPs from them!!

Good list (and links) though Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have hoped for there to be a rule about having fun, and remembering that it is just a game.
tiamo69

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2009 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

benninstein wrote:
I would have hoped for there to be a rule about having fun, and remembering that it is just a game.

couldn't agree more!

my BB philospohy is have FUN!

winning is nice, if u can't win try to draw & take as many of the opposition down.
Losing often or occassionally is an inevitable fact, even the most skilful 'safe' player will fall victim to awful die rolls for several turns in at least one game...
Take it on the chin & get even by trying to take down the opposition but never get bogged down in tit for tat blocks, especially against a physically stronger team...

It's a game, lighten up.
This is Blood Bowl, not Grand Masters Chess! Rolling Eyes
 Jump to: