22 coaches online • Server time: 03:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cuzzy

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

hi, been on fumbbl now 4 just over a week and really enjoyin it. great fun .i played the 2nd ed early 90s and so had to re learn all the rules. a couple of exp coaches have commented how slow i play but in a friendly way, which is fine.i tried to play quick a couple of games and kept making glaring errors so decided to take my time again which brought better results... 1 coach this morn wouldnt stop commenting on my slow play,, the gametime was 1hr10mins! and i deliberately took longer in the 2nd half cos he wudn stop banging on about it and was been quite rude.surely if ya cant spare 1hr30 you shudnt play or should make this known b4 hand?,.
Cuzzy

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

i should also point out that a couple of exp coaches have even offered to play me in a practice game and take time to give me some pointers which is great..hope guys like the 1 this morn are few n far between.. im just here to have fun,, which i have been doing lots
Juff

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

1hr 10 is a little slow, but not terribly so. Anyone playing a new coach shouldn't expect 50 second turns from them. Don't worry too much about it, you'll speed up naturally as you get more experienced Smile
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Deliberate slow playing is against site rules.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

In large comunities there wil allways be a few bad appels. some coaches are slwer but if you stick to under 4 mins per turn as the rules say they have nothing to complain about. allso the site rules state that you should expect to have 1½h to play a game. Most people play much faster than that but stay with in thouse 2 rules and you are home free.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Cuzzy

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

i know deliberate slow play is not good but the guy narked me, i explained i was new and he still wouldnt let it lie and was quite rude,,and i did keep under 4 mins a turn.Anyway im over my ordeal now!:p Smile.
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

You do know you are telling this on public forum.. Wink
Gran

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... I have no idea what this has to do with JavaBBowl Customization, but then we don't have a separate Rant forum. There have been a number of threads on this subject recently, but threads do come in waves so nothing odd there.

Anyway, to the point: Yes, you have every right to play 4 min turns if you need to, but try to stay under that (a 70 minute game is well under that, it's probably even under 3 min/ turn on average). The rules are very clear on this. There are, however, many coaches who play a lot faster than that and they tend to want their opponents to do the same. Some even write this in their profile (and other write that they are going to need 3 minutes or more). The best thing I think is to be open about needing a bit of time giving your opponent a chance to decide beforehand if they can live with that (same goes for speed-coaches, obviously).

This usually works just fine, and I haven't had many complaints (I probably average between 2 and 3 depending on the type of game). Don't get yourself drawn into a tempo you cannot handle, there's no point to it. We should always aim for creating an enjoyable game for both coaches, but in the end you are here playing for your sake and for your benefit, not theirs. Playing too fast and making mistakes will just play into their hands while making the game boring for you. Have fun!

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
Gran

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Koigokoro wrote:

He's not the first to admit to slowing down after being bullied in chat, nor is he the first to admit to choosing a style of play as a reaction to feeling mistreated. Let's get all coaches together and make a bonfire, huh? Razz

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
banjohunter

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hunh, well I get moaned at for being slow too and I've been playing for over a decade. You get four minutes for your turn, and I think the first 30 seconds at least should be spent planning who on your team is going to blitz/handoff/foul/pass. When I get a game with a coach who agrees the game takes a while, but it's a game where we're both thinking.

Of course those sorts of games tend to look like a train wreck with the ball bouncing round the line, and both players trying to fell the opposition before even attempting to pick up the ball. Blood Bowl at it's finest Very Happy

If you want a talked-through example, look me up in the academy channel.
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Gran wrote:
Koigokoro wrote:

He's not the first to admit to slowing down after being bullied in chat, nor is he the first to admit to choosing a style of play as a reaction to feeling mistreated. Let's get all coaches together and make a bonfire, huh? Razz

Nah, I'm sparing my matches. Just want to say that two wrongs don't make right.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Koigokoro wrote:
Gran wrote:
Koigokoro wrote:

Nah, I'm sparing my matches. Just want to say that two wrongs don't make right.

It's a fair point isn't it? Delibrately playing slow is against site rules and Cuzzy seems to have a view on lots of things! Anyway none of the coaches you played this morning have had much experience here either, hopefully they ease up a bit. Bully is also an offence.

However the old 'come on play quicker' approach by quick coaches is also lame. 1 hour 10 I consider a standard time to play a game.

If you really do take around 4 minutes per turn, I think something on your profile would help. I personally don't mind how long somebody takes, however sometimes I don't have time for a 2 hour game, on those occaisions a little warning and ahh "ahhh I don't have that time right now, but next time for sure" approach would be chill.
Soulmask

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate it when I play slow opponents. Im not there to stare at a pitch where nothing moves, im there to have fun. Its nothing personal, but if you play slow I wont play you. it simply isnt fun.

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I browse forums during opponent's turn, read a book, reply to some e-mails and the like. I.e. - this is a turn based game with, in the long run, limited amounts of tactics. The more you play the easier it'll be to assess the situation and decide on what to do next - even if you only check opposing coach's on field actions now and then. And ye - 1 hour 10 is still reasonable. Especially if you compare to boardgame.

-Mnemon
odi

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2009 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

1h 10mins is not that bad... My longest game was over 2h 20mins and I was prolly doing 1 min turns or so (since i could think what I'm gonna do on my turn while he was doing his moves) I think his record was over 5mins without moving anyone, I think he had set up a board on the kithcen table, trying the moves there first Very Happy

But yeah, as most people have said, you'll speed up eventually, after a while you dont really think and calculate every move, you just move he players into position, and then maybe calculate the odds for a few moves. I dont mind the slow play either, if the other coach is new to the game and as long as he likes to chat. Sometimes the game takes a while, since you're chatting with the other guy and telling him about assists and stuff.
 Jump to: