29 coaches online • Server time: 01:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Couple quick questions.

Does the new LRB5 client support large field option? I spectated a game yesterday and could not find a large field option. AM I missing something? Is it planned but not in yet?

The second question is somewhat related. I play on 1280x1024 and the current large field fits perfect. With the new sidebars I would see no scores, downs, etc. Can this be moved. From an interface design I have to say I don't like it, even on small screen. Separating the stats makes it hard to casually glance and assess the situation. Now you scan back and forth, making sure not to get downs mixed with TDs. I think having direct comparisons right in the middle side-by-side is the way to go.

I am more than willing to make some mock ups of suggestions if there is any chance it might change.

And thanks Kalimar, the game is looking great. The new push back arrows, etc. are all great touches. Hoping the LRB5 client is a big success.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I hear you. And the layout argument is an old one. Right now layout and large fields are not a priority for me, though. I need to complete the skills, get result uploading to work and do inducements. After that I can start to shift the layout around ... actually I did that before and tried several variations. While what I have now might not be the optimum other options were even worse Wink
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the response. Appreciated.
LordVader82

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I was digging the indicators for dodge and block chances. Is this planned to always be on, or in advanced play would this be disabled? Seems like a great feature to help inexperienced players make better moves. (Since I suck, it won't matter, but might mean I make fewer bonehead plays.)
Elminster

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope these chance indicators won't make it to the final client. Knowing which moves are risky is a big part of BB for me.
Percentages therefore shouldn't be given by the client.
Learning your odds (and its normally only 2d6) is easy if you put some thought in it.
karix

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny thing about knowing your chances of things. I often play coaches who do the most crazy and ridiculous plays.. ag2 pick up in the wet, hand off to ag 3 then long bomb to ag2 receiver. Afterwards I say to them something like 'man that was lucky, in the wet you needed 5+4+6+5+ to pull that off' and they usually have no idea how hard it was. And often had an easier 'safer' option.

I would never have attempted that play unless I desperate because I know the odds. The question becomes if you tell someone how hard it is will they still do the crazy play? Because often without that stint of impossible play they would lose, or at the very least be far more predictable and lose the attrition.

Just something to think about Razz
Elminster

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. I don't mean to highjack this thread but another point to think about:
The client should emulate real life TT, no?
Nobody will tell you your odds on a TT game, you have to figure them out yourself.
Bill_Vestergaard

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

as I see it, it would be awesome to keep the feature in Academy and keep it out of all other divisions. new players need to learn the odds as well as the game.
Elminster

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2009 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, would be the best solution. In a competitive environment, no odds. For [A] it's cool Smile
fofanov

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2009 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Elminster wrote:
The client should emulate real life TT, no?

Not really. For one thing it can't emulate beer Wink

Quote:
Nobody will tell you your odds on a TT game, you have to figure them out yourself.

Nobody will tell you your/enemy's player's stats in a TT game, you have to remember them/look them up in the chart. Current client does it for you. Nobody will tell you that your player has MB, or tail, or whatnot, you need to announce it yourself. Current client does it for you. Nobody will tell you how many dice block you are about to attempt. Current client does. I could go on and on.

In other words, I am strongly in favor of *ANY* visual cues Kalimar feels like adding. At most, with a preference to turn them all off on an individual basis for those machos who don't need anything but the numbers on the players to play the game (this is ALL you have in a TT game!)

LOL and let them also move their own turn markers for added realism Rolling Eyes
clarkin

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2009 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

"ILLEGAL PROCEDURE!!!"

A common shout (usually accompanied by frantic pointing and a huge grin) from when I played TT bloodbowl with my brothers as a kid Smile
 Jump to: