23 coaches online • Server time: 01:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2009 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Operating System (mine):
Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

Java Version (Output from: java -version):
java version "1.5.0_19"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

Bug Description:

Also played a DEs vs DEs game recently vs Koadah. He posted up one issue that we found, but there were a few more that I noted down:

There seemed to be a problem with one of his players intercepting a 'dump off' pass from my runner (screenshot below - i'm in red). His blitzer had just blitzed my runner, who then attempted to dump the ball off to the lino just up and left from himself. The same blitzer tried to intercept the ball, but Koadah didn't seem to be able to select the blitzer for intercept. In the end we both exited and re-loaded the client and it seemed to sort itself out somehow ... ? This was just before the funny failed pickup bug that Koadah mentioned.

Another issue is that the in-game chat scrolling seems to be a little hit-and-miss. I know it is supposed to auto-scroll when you slide down to the bottom, but it doesn't always seem to do this and I often found myself having to keep scrolling it manually. Could it be that it auto-scrolls after you've 'bottomed' it using the 'down' button, but not if you 'bottom' the slider bar? I normally use the slider bar, rather than the buttons.

Another query - why is there a 'stand up and move' action, when the players stand up anyway if you just use the 'move' action? It just seems a little confusing to me ... and I think I recall that during the game I tried using 'stand up and move' and the player stood up, but then wasn't able to move! This didn't seem quite right to me ...

Also, I tried passing the ball to one of my opponents (an under-rated tactic ... Very Happy ), but the client wouldn't let me. Perhaps this is related to why I couldn't throw snotlings at opponents in a previous game that I had with ogres? I don't think it says in the rules that you can't throw the ball to a player on the other team, does it?

Also, are you planning to implement a turn timer/game timer at some point, that blows a whistle when your 4 minutes are up? Otherwise your opponent could be taking ages and you don't know how long they've had. It's also useful to be able to see how much turn time you have left yourself.

There were also a couple of minor aesthetic things that I noticed. When my snotlings had the ball, the ball image seemed to be cut-off a bit at the edge of the snotling icon. I also noticed that there were often some yellow lines left on the screen after the range ruler had been used (sort of 'leftovers') - i've got a screenshot of this below:

Ok, I think those are all the bugs i remember. Hope it helps!
AoP-Vimes

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2009 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
There seemed to be a problem with one of his players intercepting a 'dump off' pass from my runner (screenshot below - i'm in red). His blitzer had just blitzed my runner, who then attempted to dump the ball off to the lino just up and left from himself. The same blitzer tried to intercept the ball, but Koadah didn't seem to be able to select the blitzer for intercept. In the end we both exited and re-loaded the client and it seemed to sort itself out somehow ... ?

I sent this bug in already and the answer was, that it will be fine in the next update.

JellyBelly wrote:
Another issue is that the in-game chat scrolling seems to be a little hit-and-miss. I know it is supposed to auto-scroll when you slide down to the bottom, but it doesn't always seem to do this and I often found myself having to keep scrolling it manually. Could it be that it auto-scrolls after you've 'bottomed' it using the 'down' button, but not if you 'bottom' the slider bar? I normally use the slider bar, rather than the buttons.

Yep, slightly bad one. Have seen it as well.

JellyBelly wrote:
Another query - why is there a 'stand up and move' action, when the players stand up anyway if you just use the 'move' action? It just seems a little confusing to me ... and I think I recall that during the game I tried using 'stand up and move' and the player stood up, but then wasn't able to move! This didn't seem quite right to me ...
Youd didnt get that right mate.
Its "stand up and END move". Now you only have to click once on your prone players and dont have to misclick clicking doubletime, which have lead into a misclick-move by a few of ma players. Good option!

JellyBelly wrote:
Also, I tried passing the ball to one of my opponents (an under-rated tactic ... Very Happy ), but the client wouldn't let me. Perhaps this is related to why I couldn't throw snotlings at opponents in a previous game that I had with ogres? I don't think it says in the rules that you can't throw the ball to a player on the other team, does it?

This should be possible. It could destroy an lastturn action, throwing the ball to a slow moving player and dont giving em the way to double-handoff and stuff. Should be included pls.

JellyBelly wrote:
Also, are you planning to implement a turn timer/game timer at some point, that blows a whistle when your 4 minutes are up? Otherwise your opponent could be taking ages and you don't know how long they've had. It's also useful to be able to see how much turn time you have left yourself.

Yeah, pls gogogog.... otherwise weve got nothing in our hands to trick Dominik into oblivious rage. Smile

---> I have proven the opposite!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2009 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

AoP-Vimes wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:

This should be possible. It could destroy an lastturn action, throwing the ball to a slow moving player and dont giving em the way to double-handoff and stuff. Should be included pls.

You can actually do that with the current client. But still i don't see the greatness of this play. In that case, the target player should have both interception AND catch rolls (in case of accurate throw of course), i guess, and the +1 catch for accurate throw. It's wonderful how it's easier to grab the ball if the opponent throws it at you!
AoP-Vimes

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2009 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
AoP-Vimes wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:

You can actually do that with the current client. But still i don't see the greatness of this play. In that case, the target player should have both interception AND catch rolls [...]

1st: Its not interesting WHY someone wants to do this. It should be allowed, thats all.
2nd: No you SHOULD NOT get interception roll, due to the single fact, that the intercepting player should stand closer to the throwing player then catching player should do. If catching and intercepting player are the same = intercepting player IS NOT closer.

---> I have proven the opposite!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2009 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

AoP-Vimes wrote:
zakatan wrote:
AoP-Vimes wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:

You can actually do that with the current client. But still i don't see the greatness of this play. In that case, the target player should have both interception AND catch rolls [...]

1st: Its not interesting WHY someone wants to do this. It should be allowed, thats all.
2nd: No you SHOULD NOT get interception roll, due to the single fact, that the intercepting player should stand closer to the throwing player then catching player should do. If catching and intercepting player are the same = intercepting player IS NOT closer.

in engineering, we consider "closer" as:

D(interceptor, thrower) <= D(target, thrower)

In that case, equal distance is also closer. If you want to exclude the equal you have to point that is "strictly closer" (i'm not sure of the correct wording in English, but maths are the same in every language).

So I guess the interceptor should get the interception roll, or wording should be reformulated, or even we can forget this as noone will ever do that in a serious game.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2009 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

AoP-Vimes wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:

Youd didnt get that right mate.
Its "stand up and END move". Now you only have to click once on your prone players and dont have to misclick clicking doubletime, which have lead into a misclick-move by a few of ma players. Good option!

Oooops! Ok, that's that one sorted then. Very Happy

zakatan wrote:
AoP-Vimes wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
Also, I tried passing the ball to one of my opponents (an under-rated tactic ... ), but the client wouldn't let me. Perhaps this is related to why I couldn't throw snotlings at opponents in a previous game that I had with ogres? I don't think it says in the rules that you can't throw the ball to a player on the other team, does it?

You can actually do that with the current client. But still i don't see the greatness of this play. In that case, the target player should have both interception AND catch rolls (in case of accurate throw of course), i guess, and the +1 catch for accurate throw. It's wonderful how it's easier to grab the ball if the opponent throws it at you!

Well ... I was kind of being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I said that this was overrated Wink. I mean, you'd have to be stark raving bananas to want to throw the ball to one of your opponents, wouldn't you?! Very Happy
 Jump to: