33 coaches online • Server time: 09:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mwilli72

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2009 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently installed Windows 7, and since I did every time I start a game, or spec an existing game, it asks me for the JavaBloodBowl directory. Once I select the directory it works fine, but it doesn't save that setting. Any ideas what would cause it to do this?
Kryten

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2009 - 05:24
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

That play/spectate script creates a file called "jbblaunch.conf" that contains the path to your javabbowl folder. If your security settings on your browser or computer are such that this file cannot be saved, then it will keep prompting you for that path. You will need to change your settings to allow this file to be saved successfully.
LtSpeed

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2010 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Solution found!

I'm running Win7 and was seeing this too. Javabowl is installed (from the beginning) in d:\games\javabowl. Java was installed in Program Files(86) so I uninstalled java and moved it elsewhere (C:\Programs, not the Windows created directory). No luck.

I looked at my old XP setup and found the "jbblaunch.conf" file in "\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox". The contents of that file was just the location of my javabowl, " D:\Games\JavaBBowl". I copied that file into my Firefox install directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox" and the problem has been fixed. I was able to start a game and spec a game without having to pick the directory.

3 steps: (edited after followup experience from others)
1) Create a file called "jbblaunch.conf"
2) Edit the file to have 1 line of text, the location of your javabowl (ex: "D:\Games\JavaBBowl")
3) Copy the file to your Firefox install directory (ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox")

Last edited by LtSpeed on Jan 15, 2010 - 23:56; edited 1 time in total
grs28

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 03:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome, that's been bothering me too.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

or just put the javabowl folder on the desktop

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

has anyone else been able to get this to work - I tried that and no luck :\
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I got it to work.
In the end i had to use notepad to create the document, any other program added a .txt or something else to it.
And ofc you need admin privalages to edit program files.

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just done as pythrr said and put it on my desktop, works fine. I have set it to hidden so its not cluttering the place up.

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I created it in notepad, went to save and it says you need admin priveleges to save in program files. So i just saved it elsewhere and then copied it into the javabowl folder. Works a treat.

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the followup findings. I edited my original post to make the file then copy it.
G_Force

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2010 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

just a bit more follow up as I was working in the right lines before seeing this forum but not 100%.

I upgraded my Vista laptop to windows 7 (direct upgraded not recommended having done it) and playing matches just continued to work (of course it did the files were all already in place.

Then i did a clean install on my PC and started having the jbbweb folder selection issue.

I recalled seeing JBBLaunch.conf on my desktop previously so created one but still it wasn't working. Then i read the forum and checked the laptop for a second conf file in the firefox folder which was of course there.

Before moving the conf to firefox programs folder on the PC i thought i'd try something else, the only thing that could have put the conf file on the laptop desktop would be my use of IE before i got firefox so i tested this on the PC.

so in a nutshell if you want to use internet explorer in preference to firefox then you need to put the JBBLaunch.conf file onto the desktop.

zakatan

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2010 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

i love you guys!
now playing and spectating is 5 clicks cheaper for me ;D

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2010 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirtying your desktop with a config file, thanks IE!
G_Force

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2010 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

i think by default it's a hidden file but coz I like to fiddle with stuff (and my sensitive info is in hidden folders) i often have things set to show hidden files.
Still pretty sucky but that's MS for you in sooo many ways Smile

Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks works a treat.

Unfortunately, that only gets me to the next load up screen faster, where it still crashes Sad

"FileNotFoundException"

worse yet it wont let me copy and paste the whole error. But I will do it manually if it would help someone to help me?