71 coaches online • Server time: 23:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2003 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an Amazon team and have had limited succes, so i was wondering what tactics work best for the old girls and how best to develop them to their true potential.

Also I've noticed that in the league stats there isn't an Amazon team in the top 50?
Any special reason?

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2003 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

they're good to start with, use their dodge skills to avoid being hit too much and to score.

They're a little fragile though, so as other teams develop and get a few tacklers, they get hurt a lot
MickeX

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2003 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

At low TR it's easy: Play very bashy against all teams except dwarfs, CDs and perhaps orcs. Do 8 turn grinds. Let someone with Blodge hold the ball. You'll need a few extra players and some 4 RRs to get this working though.

I have a 'zon team that I keep at low TR to test my theory that they are overpowered for tourneys. I'm beginning to doubt I'm right though. Take a look at some of the match replays if you want some examples of how to bash with them.
Aceti

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2004 - 17:57Guest Reply with quote Back to top

I have an amazon team that I have played through about 20-25 games. In that time I have received 7 RIP's... in the first 14 games. The girls are very fragile. I hustled to get most of them their first skill (block), which increased their survivabilty. As far as team tactics and development goes, I then got guard for as many people as possible (I managed to get guard on all 4 blitzers and 2 linemen) and used them and the Amazon dodge skill to set up favorable blocks. I tend to play fairly aggresively and clump the team together to maximise the guarding effects. So far it has worked fairly well. Next I got MB for my blitzers (to add some punch to the team). I have a few girls with DP, which I use fairly liberally. Some people don't approve of fouling, but the Amazons really need it to take out some of the more troublesome players.

Amazons are ok at playing a passing game, but I have had the best result using them as a running team. Threatening the pass every so often to keeps your opponents on their toes.

My biggest problem is the acumulation of niggling injuries. On a roster of 15 players, I have 9 niggles on 6 players... kind of a pain in the ass... trying to retire some of them.

I hope this helps and good luck!
hunter

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2004 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I started a 'zon team with 10 linewomen, 1 thrower, 7 rerolls, and 9 ff a while ago. I may have even afforded an apothecary to begin with. Anyway, the rerolls were key, and were often used to throw 1d blocks that I wouldn't normally have thrown. Also, choose your matches carefully- I prefer to play agile teams as opposed to bashy teams, for obvious reasons. Plus, with no BG or str4+ players, 'zons are at an immediate disadvantage over most of the teams out there. BUT, you do have one strength: Dodge. Use it to your advantage as often as possible, to minimize the number of blocks your opponent can throw at you. And like Mickex said, take your time scoring- grind down the field and stall if necessary. The more times you have to line up for kickoff, the more chances your opponent has at taking out a bunch of ladies.

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2004 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Four blitzers, 7 linewomen, 4 rerolls, apothecary and 8 fan factor sounds a more sensible starting roster to me.

Advice:
Don't play dwarves, unless you are much much stronger than them.

Don't play khemri, most think they are broken anyway.

Avoid other bashy teams with tackle. CD are not quite as bad as plain dwarves but not far away, while lizardmen and orcs are playable until they get block and then guard/tackle all round. Same goes for low strength chaos teams without much block/guard/tackle/claw etc. Once you get higher however just play elves. Smile
Jared

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2004 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

get dauntless at least twice on blodgers if you can manage it, the presence of lots of block dodge dauntless and guard will make even chaos and orcs quail as they realise its a team that can bash back as good,

XXXtreme ball with added XX
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Another nice plan is to spread out your spp's as much as possible. 2 td's or 1 mvp and 1 pass is enough to turn 1 squeaky cheap line wench into a vehicle of mass irratation. I have 15 or 16 players and all but one have blodge. Cute. Guard on as many as possible and pray for stat increases cause without em higher tr zons are pretty tough to play. A few dp if ya like that sort of thing. Target their tackle players.
Tactically i like to set up a wall a square away from the cage and slow em down, and try and dodge a wench or two through to blitz the ball carrier. you need to get at the ball fairly quickly cause you wont stop a black orc or a big guy for very long. On offense vs bashy teams use the short pass and a screen of a few blodgers. Drive up one side and once they come in to get at ya flick it wide and run behind a smaller moving wedge. Works ok cause without enough tackle players to cover both sides your blodgers on the screen should stand up pretty well.
Playing vs passing teams is a little harder. Mostly my tactics are to lose. Maybe a better zon coach could add something?
P.S. As britnoth said. DONT PLAY DWARVES. thats messy very quickly.
good luck

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to agree with some of the earlier views....my amazons did much better at lower STR than at higher. Eventually, the skill that helps protect your AV 7 players from injury (dodge) will have no choice but to play teams with a decent number of tackling players mixed in....and then you're going to take casualties. Once my girls started breaking the 170 STR zone, it got ugly.

Getting block for your players is important, but don't focus on it too much. It really jumps your STR up, and there are several other skills you'll need to win games. Catchers are something I usually avoid when starting....with their limited speed, I don't pass much anyway, and when I do pass, I can use a reroll if needed to "simulate" catch.

The most important thing I've found is planning out your turns appropriately. With dodge, there are so many possibilities of things to do in a turn....you've gotta make sure you plan the turn out so the stuff that HAS to get accomplished gets done before the more risky stuff is attempted.
Jared

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

stats will make your day, early traits should always be things like stand firm for blitzers and dauntless or guard for linewomen, jump up is nice where you can get it, pass block is also nice preferably on blitzers

XXXtreme ball with added XX
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys, keep it coming if you've got something to add.

Finding it hard to get a game with the girls unless it's Dwarves,Khemri or CD's.
Any Ideas?

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hang out in chat for long periods of time avoiding games with every type of team except halflings. Many people will tell you goblins are ok to play too but don't listen there movement of six combined with there green skin coloration makes them incredibley broken. This will allow you to play only fair and even games vs the hobbits anything else is a nasty evil bashy team you shouldn't ever play against. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, that wasn't helpful, why bother to post something like that?

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think screws is being sarcastic. Sort of reminds me alot of coaches approaches to finding games around here lately. Coaches with 77% win percentages who refuse to play 1 turners, or elves who do not play chaos or orcs.

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, I'm noy one for refusing games that will be close, but I'm not out to get my team ripped apart either, when I've a few skills I'll start playing anyone and everyone till then..........