54 coaches online • Server time: 19:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Matt_wyeth

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

the -2dblock is view as a last resort for most coaches, I use it liberally... has it paid off. i don't know i loose most of my games failing to pick up the ball or a botched pass. but i can say that overall i have more often than not been happy with the result of the -2dblock.
The reason for this is because it allows me to do 3 things. 1) free up manpower for more important task than trying to stop one orge. 2) cut the risk of dodging away with the new risk of the -2dblock. 3)potentially knock down big and dumb orges.
number 1 reason is the most important because now i have one man assigned to blocking that orge while other teams might send 2 or 3.
number 2 reason while dodging away on the surface seems like a much better idea it still doesn't solve the problem i have with the fact that there is a orge that can blitz me or move to the ball. and the actual difference between you falling down dodging and you falling down failing a -2d block is one in the same if you have the block skill and are agility 3. 3+ dodge to get away has a 1/3 chance of failure, the same as the -2d block with block. the 3+ dodge doesn't harm your oppenent so unless your dodging to move into an assist or to the ball this option does little to slow the plans of the enemy in fact it guarnitees that the orge did its job.. it made one player useless. while the -2d block with block has a 1 in 4 chance of pounding that orge to the ground.
so in conclusion if dodging away from the orge doesn't put pressure on the other team and you have block make the block and you might get a very pleasant supprise(to make up for all those +2dblocks you make that fail).
Mezir

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

One difference between falling over on a dodge and failing to correctly block an ogre: getting Mighty Blowed is less than funny. Wink

On the whole I try to use neither 3+ dodges nor 2d blocks in my opponent's favour. However I'm not afraid of doing either if the situation calls for it. Still, if one of my linemen is standing next to an ogre... Let him. He's keeping the dumb thing occupied. Not like another lino is going to make that much difference to me.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir is right. And it's even less funny to be hit by an RSC, CLAW, PO and MB player. Wink

The other point also good. No need to dodge away at all cost. Hey, that Ogre need to roll a 2+ to get a chance to hit u, and without block he gets a decent chance to cause a turnover for his team.

-2d blocks on the other hand can be very, very usefull. Strip Ball blitz vs the ball carrier, or when u try to push somebody out of bonds.
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I only use the -2d block when i have block and my opponent doesnt - otherwise you are just freeing up an opposing player to lend an assist somewhere else. Strategies such as this may help explain your match record.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing about this is interesting, --- in that its something that you might see a real rookie doing. What you wont see is someone with about 5 - 20 games experience doing it.

However, after 20 or so games, people start to do it again, but with more of an eye for safety(doing it last, not
doing it to that Claw & RSC Mino etc etc).

I've been playing against a newish Khemri team recently, & have had some success(& one fatal failure) doing the
-2d against Mummies with Linemen.

Also worked against an Orge team, but that was using Orc linemen with Block, against rookie Orges.

sangraal
Hovring

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Get an elf with strip ball, leap and block and you can -2db the ballholder it works 44%, just save it for one of your last moves
MixX

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2003 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

let's face it. 2 d against blocks should never ever be anything other than last resort choices, otherwise you should IMO *never* perform these. it might work once in a while, I've even seen it used by a goblin to bring down a Wardancer (yes that's a 1/36, I know, we get plenty of those) but if you ever base anything on it working you are asking for trouble..
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2003 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets see, in a game i had the other day, my oppo , as his first action 2db my choice on my wolf, double pow , niggled wolf ... how i laughed !!!!!!!! =]

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

My snottlings have been known to throw 3 dice blocks! And thats without block! All though of course with snottlings when ur doing that, its a last resort...

Lets face it, the reason most people throw 2d blocks against is because they miscalculate guard players or assists, or it is the only way to stop a try.

Oscar Wilde
orochinagi

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2004 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

there's a 2 die block art?

hmmm... didn't even knew it was considered an "art"
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2004 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well its not really although sometimes you just have to do it and occasionally it actually works (which infuriates your opponent no end especially if it causes a cas against him) and sometimes it is nessesary for example against ogres (especially if you have block and they dont)
MixX

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2004 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

a very valid point, rookie dwarf teams can do this quite succesfully against lizards, orcs or chaos with their str4-but-no-block guys.. that being said, chances are that it won't work.. especially if it's important that it works, if it's just a joke of no tactical importance, expect to see double pow's every time..
Theaxman

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2004 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

As Norse i frequently use -2db blocks and come out of it very well. in 1 recent game against a khemri team i had 5 occasions where my -2db came up dbl pow(of course this was more luck than judgement). the will always be my last blocks but i usually to 2 or 3 a turn
Dog44221

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2004 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If the big dumd guy doesn't have block and I do. I throw it all the time.
AeoN2

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually only use -2db when against no block with block, and only after I've done everything else useful I can and dodging is not an idea.

Chance to skull: about 30% (with reroll down to about 9,3%)
Chance to knock down opponent: 25%

And in addition to that there are pushbacks that can be quite beneficial in many circumstances. -2db can be a wise tactical choice when you know when to use it and when not to.

--
AeoN2
 Jump to: