69 coaches online • Server time: 19:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
doddkeith

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, this may be dumb question but I'm willing to open myself up to some redicule.

Why on earth is the handicap system based on the Training value rather than the St value of a team?

The St value is a far more accurate value of how the team performs.

I can think of long list of problems with basing it on TR.

1. Higher value teams that take a smack in a game and have their St reduced are say a team with TR 250 that looses a few guys in the next match will have a ST of say 150 plays a team of ST 150 but incurs 5 handicap rolls for the game even though they have equal st.

2. You have tons of money so your Team TR is elevated well above your Team ST. Again your performance on the pitch is more based off your Team ST as your bank account isn't playing the game your players are.

etc....

Looking for enlightenment on this.

Cheers,

Keith
doddkeith

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

excuse my spelling you can redicule me on that in a differnt thread:)
neverdodge

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Just take an example, two teams are the same Strenght, but one has a higher TR, due to lot of cash in treasury .

The team that have more money could care less about death than the other if it got no money at all to replace players, so it could affect it s way of playing .
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

i have a fling team in open 235/125 if i play an equal strength team i will be destroyed by handicaps, and if i play an equal rated team i will be just destroyed, so it looks like the tums will finally be calling it a day Sad
whitey

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

This promotes player turnover, by making it advantageous to ditch injured players and to buy replacements with the cash.
Jared

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

its also because handicaps are official GW based on TR wheras TS is a fumbbl creation

in table top where there is no TS to go by you just have to try and cope.

though this will really help those teams who usually end up with a vastly higher ts thatn tr like say amazons

XXXtreme ball with added XX
PurpleChest

Post 13 Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yes it promotes player turnover, and retiring niggled players will probably increase now. But at current it also promotes retiring players who have no long term injury but will miss a game. Even 1 guy missing can mean a handicap roll let alone 2 or 3.

It is hugely unfriendly to new players and people that lose.

Teams at 115/99(due to a plyer out) for example will only want to play other teams with the same tr AND str. Either that or you play an equal str team and accept a handicap.Madness. It will make finding games harder not easier and make it far easier to abuse newer and less skilled coaches.

TR needs to be adjusted to show mising players (though maybe not niggles, to keep the 'encourage turnover of injured players' effect)

The only arguement i have heard against this is that this is the way the board game is. Well super, but there are already many differences between fumbbl and the board game and this is an example of where the board game keeps the maths simple and fumbbl has no reason or need to.
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, no matter. Just a bit more fluff in the game. Chemical Reaction will suffer hard for this, but who cares?

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock, don't do it! Just beat up on new elf teams like I plan to. Smile
whitey

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

1 extra re-roll, which is the most likely outcome at the moment shouldn't really turn the game. And 10 points of TS is probably only an extra reserve, playing up 10 or so TS is not a huge deal.
Traitor

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

On the bright side, this means it may sometimes be worth freebooting or hiring star players in open.

Sides, like it's been said, handicap works based on TR in the tabletop version, and the game is suposedly not unplayable despite this.
Haggislad

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

At last something to stop the hunters out there from preying on the weak. No complaints from me i'm glad of handicaps even if there are some problems.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Only handicapped game for my halflings so far, both ogres got hit by morleys revenge, causing them to miss each drive 50% of the time... not fun believe me.

Goblin cheaters can't afford to play against even 1 handicap roll. Under scrutiny stops all fouling and secret weapons.
MixX

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it should be based off TR as it is now, and as it is in the board game. TS is a guide to the strength of the opposing team, nothing more, and besides what if you, say, weren't calculating team strengths for your league but was still using Ski's client? Me and a few friends use it for a non-fumbbl league (mostly offline) and it would be a pain if we had to manually calculate a strength value for each team each time! Strength Rating is a Fumbbl invention, and an ok one too, but it has nothing to do with the official game, and so it shouldn't have anything to do with the client either, IMO.
MixX

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

(I know the Client isn't official and all that, but it should try to stick as closely as possible to the board game, and a handicap system based off a value that doesn't exist outside of Fumbbl wouldn't do that)
 Jump to: