47 coaches online • Server time: 13:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ultwe

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

what Peikko sayz...

to start the client, do the following in your terminal:
Code:

cd /path/to/JBB/directory
java -jar Bbowl.jar

if you do this:
Code:

java -jar /path/to/JBB/Bbowl.jar

you will receive the message above

Alternatively, use the play button in Fumbbl Wink

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

To satisfy my curiosity,

I made a directory Bloodbowl and copied just the file "patch8_9.zip" into it and then unzipped it. I then executed "java -jar Bbowl.jar" and received exactly the error message you mention:

"The original splash image is corrupted, missing or changed. Replace the original splash image and restart."

Could you please open a terminal and navigate to the directory you installed BloodBowl. Type "ls", and post the resulting output here. I can reproduce the error message you received, so perhaps it really is a problem with the install?

Oscar Wilde
ultwe

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod, if he only had the patch, he would never be able to launch it. However, he says that under certain conditions, it does work.

Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

CitizenD wrote:

The Second: When I try to kickoff... I kick off over and over and over and over.

I know this is going to sound obvious, but

this happens when you click to kick off on the wrong side of the field. In stand-alone testing it is easy to mix up. Try both sides. (A pop up error message appears, but sometimes it doesn't "pop up" but stays hidden under the client).

Oscar Wilde
CitizenD

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2010 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The client runs correctly only when I run it from the terminal as root.
So standalone works fine.

When I run from the game launcher on the website against an opponent, I get the perpetual kick-off result.

I then chowned the client, thinking that would cure the problem. Sadly it has not. There is progress of a sort but still aggravatingly out of reach...
ultwe

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2010 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

weird

what errors do you receive when you try to run it as normal user?
could you copy the result of 'ls -l' entered in th BBowl directory

Grod

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2010 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, where and how did you originally install the game? Something else to try if you didn't already:

install the game into a folder in your home directory: /home/CitizenD/BloodBowl for example (copy both patch and base zip file there and unzip. Do not use root powers with sudo).

It really are some strange problems you are facing. Many people successfully use this client under the system you are using, so I am sure there is a solution and it is not related to bugs with the client itself.

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Grod on %b %05, %2010 - %17:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
ultwe

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2010 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, if the client runs fine as root, you can start it that way, and then manually enter the proxy server and name to join a game on Fumbbl (though I feel that when you do that, even as root, you will bump into the endless-kick issue)

CitizenD

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2010 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

ok. It is fixed,sort of. Here is what I did wrong. I had the client installed in /home/citizen-d/desktop/Bbowl.

To fix I deleted everything including the empty folder. I created the folder /home/citizen-d/Bbowl I installed the client in the proper order. Then I chowned it.

That has solved my problem with running the client from the website. I logged on, went on IRC and got a game and I kicked off and presto. So far so good.

I now need to play a full game to see if the injured guys not leaving the field happens again.

When I try to run it by clicking on the jar and opening with sun java 6 i get the same old
"The original splash image is corrupted, missing or changed. Replace the original splash image and restart."

At this stage should I even care about that result for standalone?
ultwe

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2010 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

CitizenD wrote:
[...]

To fix I deleted everything including the empty folder. I created the folder /home/citizen-d/Bbowl I installed the client in the proper order. Then I chowned it.
[...]

When I try to run it by clicking on the jar and opening with sun java 6 i get the same old

At this stage should I even care about that result for standalone?

Why did you need to chown it? If you install it in your home directory, you can do so as your normal user, root is not required here... otot the 'installation' process only involves unziping some files.

The splash image could be down to how you open the client. does it work if you launch it locally from a terminal, as a normal user (see my earlier message)? If that work, right click on the .jar file, and check if there is a tickbox, in the properties, that says something along the line of 'run in terminal'. You may also need to ensure that the file is ran from within the correct directory, though not if it is the issue here, it won't hurt to check...

hth

Jump to: