45 coaches online • Server time: 00:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2010 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
If you want diversity in the box create it yourself. 'Let he without sin cast the first stone'.

The majority of coaches going on and on about racial diversity have very few box teams, and those that they do have tend to be the very races that they are complaining about playing against. Meanwhile those of us that actually do have a range of teams in the box seem quite happy with the diversity.

I repeat why should a coach be punished for playing their favourite race, just because it is also a popular race? If the box was full of elf teams would people be complaining about the lack of diversity then? People don't mean lack of diversity, what they really mean is too many bashing teams. It is a subtle, and yet important difference.

Well, you could say that the best coach is one who can win with a wide variety of races rather than just one kick ass team.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2010 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

That would be cool. I might get back to CR 150 without actually playing Very Happy
ultwe

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2010 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:
If you want diversity in the box create it yourself. 'Let he without sin cast the first stone'.

The majority of coaches going on and on about racial diversity have very few box teams, and those that they do have tend to be the very races that they are complaining about playing against. Meanwhile those of us that actually do have a range of teams in the box seem quite happy with the diversity.

I repeat why should a coach be punished for playing their favourite race, just because it is also a popular race? If the box was full of elf teams would people be complaining about the lack of diversity then? People don't mean lack of diversity, what they really mean is too many bashing teams. It is a subtle, and yet important difference.

Well, you could say that the best coach is one who can win with a wide variety of races rather than just one kick ass team.

Then we go back to a BWR/race situation, and maybe a mixedRaceBWR, where the number of race played (and considered in that rating) affects the rating in some way... Might get a bit complicated to implement, though....

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2010 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

ultwe wrote:
koadah wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:

Then we go back to a BWR/race situation, and maybe a mixedRaceBWR, where the number of race played (and considered in that rating) affects the rating in some way... Might get a bit complicated to implement, though....

Not really. It could be as simple as you must play a certain % of games with teams from bashy, medium, agile, special categories to get a bonus.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
ultwe wrote:
koadah wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:

Not really. It could be as simple as you must play a certain % of games with teams from bashy, medium, agile, special categories to get a bonus.

thats more along the lines that i was thinking koadah, also i notice i said "activate" not play. Therefore not increasing the number of games you have to play but the racial bidiversity of the teams you activate.

As far as i already use necro and elf, well great, start using some other teams aswell because the same argument you make can be made by the orc/choas coaches in the box, they are just playing the style that they enjoy.

If box is truly supposed to be the uber division, and bwr is the ultimate expression of l337ness then why restrict yourself to only playing with the teams you are comfortable with?

Surely win with flings atm is worth more than a win with de or orcs? ZSurely a coach who has the stones to activate flings,vamps, norse etc in box has more stones than those who only play their favourite races.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Eh. I find all this talk of diversity in Box to be a missing the point a bit. Diversity in the box is pretty similar to any other division, as soon as you factor out teams that only play "gentle" matches. Frankly, it isn't worth the ill will you are fixing to run up against by following this policy of "social engineering".

People who play flings don't care about their BWR, their CR, or any other ipeen yardstick (or in my case, 16 foot hard tape >=D), nor should they.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
lawman

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

two lists...active and inactive coaches...similar to retired all time greats and what their stats would be had they kept playing against those who are still playing Smile
Might be an interesting indication if ratings in general have fallen or increased.

I would suggest those who have played less than "x" (5 suggested) games in a month is considered inactive.

Then also expand the list to the top 25 or so... maybe put race of choice beside the name (race they played most often in order to get to that rank). Might be a fun indicator.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

BeerTruck have you actuallt looked at what teams i have active in the box? Your top races you have used are orcs, chaos, dwarves, ogres and khemri. Whilst i don't see a problem in that, if those are the teams that you enjoy go for it, but i also notice that your 2nd favourite race that you played in ranked was wood elves.

I am not singling you out, you are in the same boat as a lot of box coaches. You find the environment too bashy, therefore you mostly play with bash teams, but can you not see that by doing this you can't then complain that you don't like the diversity? I don't think any coach should be forced to play teams that they don't want to use just so that the bashier coaches can get more squishy targets. I have no problem with the diversity, mainly because when i play the game will involve a variety of styles, since when i play i play with teams from a variety of styles. If you only use bash teams, then yes you will only play bash vs bash games.

As i said before, don't complain about the lack of diversity if you are part of the problem you are complaining about, would too many elves in the division get the same negative response?
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:

As i said before, don't complain about the lack of diversity if you are part of the problem you are complaining about, would too many elves in the division get the same negative response?

I do remember people complaining about [F] being too Elfy in the old days and biased towards them

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

eyeslikethunder wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:

I do remember people complaining about [F] being too Elfy in the old days and biased towards them

As far as I remember the complaint back then wasn`t that coaches had to constantly elfbowl, but that elven teams refused to play anything remotely threatening.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Giving a bonus doesn't force anyone to use anything. It doesn't impact you at all unless you want to maximise your BWR.

It is not about having 'stones''. People will play what they want to play. Many people will not care about BWR. Not care about players dying. etc.
They just want to play a game.

If we are not going to have a scheduler in [R] then people need to be able to use the [B] scheduler without having to worry about all the 'competitive' options.
But it is nice to have them there for people who do want them.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

No, forcing diversity on people is not the way to go. If we want greater diversity in [B] - and I think that would be a good thing, the more the merrier - then we need to make it fun and worthwhile playing more races.

I see no better way to do that then stats and rewards. If you give people a grid to fill or a badge for games played with a certain race many of the casual gamers will want to try getting some of these awards. Also: medals for highest BWR is something only a few high-ranking coaches can hope to achieve, but anyone can fill a grid or hunt for badges. As a sub-150 coach I think that would be a welcomed addition that would make [B] more fun for a greater number of coaches.

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2010 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I am all for things that encourage coaches to use other races, for example a leader board of each race, filling a grid etc. But i am against any penalty to not using other races (i.e less BWR per game, quicker decay etc.)

So i totally agree with Gran's post.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2010 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Leaderboard for each race is a great idea.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2010 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a weekly/monthly "diversity king (queen?)" badge. Take the reverse order of the team popularity. Assign points from 23 for 'flings down to 1 for Orcs. Every match you play awards you a number of points according to where that race falls on the reverse-popularity scale. The coach with the highest total points at the end of the period gets the badge.

Perhaps score each race only one time or weigh each score according to the match outcome. Sort of like an insane, reverse E.L.F. cycle.

Jump to: