19 coaches online • Server time: 01:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Calador

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I could've made this a poll, but I'd rather start a discussion about it.

Where I play from, we have quite a few coaches that like to play eachother. We like to play different teams, and we make a new one every once in a while.
Our problem now is that some of us have established 3 teams that we like to play, but this also means that we can't play against eachother whenever someone makes a new team. For some of us, it's simply not an option to retire a team.
Therefore, I'd like to have 1 or 2 (preferably 2) more Open Division slots to be able to experiment with other teams (and play a team close to TR100).

There has to be a reason why the rule of 3 Open teams were introduced, but I don't know what it is. Perhaps Christer can elaborate on this... It might give me reason to change my mind about wanting more team-slots.

Making a team in one of the other divisions is not really an option either... Open league is THE league.

It would be nice to hear what other people think of this, because it would really help us here.

Regards,
Brian, aka Calador
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

My thoughts are that perhaps it should be limited to 2 teams but teams with tr over say 200. don't count towards the limit. if the tr goes down then you can't create a new team until only 1 other team is below 200. This way established teams can stick around, while they are doing well, hence more high tr games will be played due to more teams in that range and it allows coaches to try new teams without taking a gamble on retiring the great team they have worked to build up.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

First off, while open league is admittedly *the* league right now, I would like to see this change. An important part of the Division X league is to allow us to test the new teams and give important balance data. As you can imagine, this can be a bit difficult if no-one is playing in DivX. I would personally much prefer to see everyone try creating a team or two in DivX. The biggest reason that there aren't many games being played there is that it's often hard to find a coach who has a DivX team, but if we could all try running a team there for a little while I expect that would rapidly chance.

</2cents>

The Finishing Touch
UglyToy

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

DivX may become a bit more competitive if teams become ranked, or have some kind of benefit for playing games in that league. Personally I don't really like playing DivX games that much, I dont really gain anything from it and I'd rather develop a team where I can compare myself to other coaches to see how good I am.

Maybe there should be more DivX tournaments or something like that, something to make people want to play in other divisions.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Calador wrote:
Making a team in one of the other divisions is not really an option either... Open league is THE league.

If it's the same few people playing each other, why do they all have to be in 'THE league'? If each of you has a div X team or two, each of you can play div X games as well. Sorry, but if you have your own little subset of coaches, why do you need to be in THE league? I don't get it. Also, you lose all rights to complain about slow uploads and all if you want to put more strain on the server by allowing each coach to have up to 10 teams.
UglyToy wrote:
DivX may become a bit more competitive if teams become ranked, or have some kind of benefit for playing games in that league. Personally I don't really like playing DivX games that much, I dont really gain anything from it and I'd rather develop a team where I can compare myself to other coaches to see how good I am.

Don't really gain anything for it? Er... how about for the fun of playing...?

Sorry. I don't mean to bash anyone's posts, but Mojo is at work and cranky about it. I can see the logic behind the 2 teams under TR 200 idea. It is insane troll logic, but I can see it. I'm not sure that adding more Open teams is a good idea, though.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

as for the divx part, i dont feel i need to express my oppinion for the undead teams....lets just say i prefer teams that atleast can try to score, mummies aint the scoreing types, vamps are sick, and werewolves too fast.
Im one of the guys at the club where Calador is at, we dont just play against eachother, infact most of my games are against people from mirc.
Kaizot

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I also am in favor of a few more open teams per coach. I don't have any DivX teams yet, but that is just because I'm still getting my open teams off the ground. But when I do, it will likely be a team I can't play in open anyway.

My complaint though is that by limiting to 3 teams, I cannot play other races which might enhance variety. I would make a halfling team in open, but don't want it to be one of my only three teams. Sure I could make a stunty team, but then I couldn't play them against bruisers Smile
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I just made a divX team to add to my variety. I am happy with the 3 team limit in open. If I want a new team I will retire an established one.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Myself, I'd like a couple of things that have already been mentioned:

The ability to hold on to my high-TR teams, yet create and develop other teams. 3 is a fair and reasonable amount of teams, in fact a bit excessive if there's any turnover in the teams one plays with. But myself, I like to play the occasional game with my TR230 Skaven team, love to play lots with my TR200+ Chaos and TR160 Gobbos. As I get teams up there, I develop a bond and set of strategies for that set of players, and retirement is very distasteful. That said, occassionally I get a hankering to experiment with a different team type, and I would be loathe to retire any of my existing, known-fun teams in order to try out something else.

I've had the idea of allowing two teams initially, and as one of the existing teams goes above a certain TR limit, say 200, then another team slot could be allocated for the coach. There's no reason for someone who's played 3 or 4 or 10 games to really need to create even three teams, but those who have worked to develop all of their teams sufficiently should be given the opportunity to do it again with something new, or try a completely different development path.

Obviously, this setup would benefit high-TR coaches, who would likely have more matches available to them. This is not an insignificant problem. More than one team has advanced beyond the ability to find competition. This also has the added benefit of allowing the uber-coaches (Evo, for example) to have their legendary teams about, yet still have a team that's low-TR enough for up-and-coming coaches to play against them. The Ladder league is a step in this direction, but I can't express how unfun it is to play with TR100 teams (I thought it'd be fun... it wasn't).

Now, as to the DivX question, if matches were ranked, I'd probably play over there. That's not really a statement that I think they _SHOULD_ be ranked, because these are experimental teams, afterall. But if it were ranked, I would probably play there. Why? I'm not sure. Would it be any less fun? Nope. Would it hold any bearing over how I play? Nope. But it would cause me to opt for an Open match rather than a DivX match. Same goes with the Stunty Leeg: if it were ranked (and it shouldn't be) then I'd probably play over there more often, too.

Nothing earth-shattering, just one man's opinion.
-r3-
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Kaizot wrote:
I also am in favor of a few more open teams per coach. I don't have any DivX teams yet, but that is just because I'm still getting my open teams off the ground.
My complaint though is that by limiting to 3 teams, I cannot play other races which might enhance variety.

Huh? You're complaining that you can't start your div X team because you're busy with your 3 open teams, butyou want more open teams because you're not busy enough with the 3 you have?

I still don't get it.

If people are so set on determining fun by their coach ranking, then I say let Stunty and DivX count. It'll make the people with high Rankings unhappy though and they're the ones who do care so get ready for a fight.

I can't wait to hear everyone in the chat room complaining about how, "UR RANK DONT MEEN N-E-THING B-CUZ U GOT IT BY BEATING STUNTEEZ!!!"

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2003 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree fully. I would like to see play in Stunty and DivX rated as well, as it seems lack of rating is one of the biggest reasons people give for not wanting to play teams there.

The Finishing Touch
Moxy

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2003 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah server is slow enough. You are allowed 8 teams in the various leagues. So quit your bitching OK.

Later
Moxy
Quilwood

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2003 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Just like to add that I've had Div X teams (Necro, Chaos Dwarf?, some other normal teams), and the only reason I stoped playing was that I couldn't play a normal team. Almost everyone who makes a Div X team makes one of the eperimental ones. I don't really understand how you can test teams if all the teams are the untested ones. It gets rather frustrating when the only teams you play are Vamp, Necro, Khemri, Rotter. I also don't like some of the rosters for the experimental. I haven't looked at them in a while, but i think there where 2 wights on the necro and 3 mummies on the khemri. Why? I would like to play with the magazine teams, or at least Talk-BB or Galakes. I haven't played while the Ogre teams been in action, but it looks like half the Div X league is ogre, and I don't think I'll introduce an elf team in that atmosphere.
UglyToy

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2003 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not that I want Divx to count towards a coaches ranking, but some form of ranking system may tempt coaches to play there, the ladder has a type of ranking system (don't know if that counts towards a coaches ranking or not, didnt really like the idea of a constant skill-less lineup so decided not to join in), while that system may not be suitable for DivX it would still be nice to know how well your doing against other teams in that Division. One reason I'd like this was when I started playing stunty leeg I did it because I wanted to play with Snots, who are great to play with, lots of fun. However I got quite bored after a while, mostly because while I had the team with the highest TR, and therefore was top of the Division, I knew I was not the best coach in the leeg and I was constantly curious as to how well I was doing compared to someone else.

It's not that games aren't fun, I enjoy playing Blood Bowl, but its also fun to see how well your doing, or personally I begin to find running one particular team a bit boring, and want to start a new one, otherwise you got nothing to aim for but making a good team, and you can quickly start a new one anyway.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2003 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly Quilwood. Since it isn't ranked, the only reason people tend to start teams there is if they want to try one of the new teams, so therefore that is pretty much all you see. Changes are in the works, however.
 Jump to: