45 coaches online • Server time: 10:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2010 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear fellow Fumbblers,

to get the new client ready for Testing I'm in urgent need of some icons. There have been some suggestions already in an older thread, but the format has changed.

What I need most right now (and on relative short notice) is some icons for inducements. These need to be 30x30 points is size with transparent background (gif or png).

The relevant inducements are:
- Apothecary
- Bloodweiser Babes
- Bribes
- Igor
- Halfling Master Chef
- Wizard
and a Re-Roll icon in the same format

You can see the icon background and placement in the screenshots I have provided in my blog.

Who can help?

Thanks, Kalimar

EDIT: forgot the wizard

Last edited by Kalimar on %b %27, %2010 - %09:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2010 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If I have time I will try and make some icons for these.

I have some other graphics Q's for you:
- Is the overall background an image that can be skinned? I find the red blue blend really hard to look at and would be up to trying to make a new background for the client. I think some really cool things could be done with it if it is possible for you to make this option.

- Is there going to be a large field option? If so, what would be the background size if the first question is possible?

Thanks!
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2010 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

It is not yet possible to skin the background, but if u can come up with something I like - why not? Be aware thoug not to make the background too "noisy". It should support the icons, not distract from them. The gradients are painted programmatically.

A large field option is something for the future. As all icons are bitmaps new icons would be needed for that.
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2010 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if you consider this too busy. Some of the text is not very legible right now because this is a real rush job I did in 30 minutes to see if you like the concept.

I tried to give it a more fantasy football feel. I also like the idea of making the player cards more like medieval trading cards like they have for pro sports. I started to that a bit, but it can be played up more, creating a Fumbbl brand card.

The icons are still very legible, but again, I could easily make them stand out even more and make complementary icons for the look. As well as adding weather icons, a wooden arrow pointing to the player whose turn it is, a new spectator icon, etc.

Let me know what you think..

Prinz

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

That is perty.

I like the wimpels.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Reroll:

Apothecary (or maybe Igor):
Wraith

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Bribe

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

bloodweiser babe

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

apothecary

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

halfling chef

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Igor

or

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like: the ReRoll icon from WhatBall, Apothecary and Igor (first one) from Wraith. The HalflingChef and Bloodweiser Babe from Wraith are too finely detailed - I have trouble to recognize the figure properly (especially on a colored or perhaps skinned background. The Bribe Icon from Wraith is kind of nice but I would rather have someone take the money than give it or make it just a bag of gold Smile

WhatBall: the skin is awesome looking, really. I would limit the wimpels to the lower part (starting with the Reserve / Out icons) and the score bar however. I would also like to have the chat boxes with a plain background (as is) to improve contrast. The upper part (where the players are displayed) is an overlay - you can switch between player view and box view. So it having background there is somewhat diffivult. Also note that there are situations where a red player is displayed on the blue side or the other way around (for instance if u have a your own box open and move the mouse over a player it gets displayed on the blue side - there is nowhere else for it to go).
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear you like the mock up. If you want to take it further we can do a lot and meet the requirements you've described. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Wraith

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2010 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I basically just took images that I thought were fitting, erased the backgrounds, cropped them and turned them into 30x30 gifs. It took me all of maybe 30 mins to do all 5 of those, including the time to find the images.

The first Igor icon is Igor from young frankenstein, I thought it was fitting, but I didn't quite like the headshot pose (since all the other icons were waist high shots, it didn't really fit the theme). The bribe icon could be seen as the ref giving or taking the money, I saw it more as him taking the money. I used the chef from the muppets as the halfling chef, there wasn't a lot of good chef pictures out there. My favorite of the bunch was actually the bloodweiser babe, I could probably tweak the coloring to have a little better contrast.

Anyways, I should have some free time this weekend, I'll try a few more ideas. Like more cartoony, if that is the style you guys are aiming for.