55 coaches online • Server time: 20:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Qaz

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2010 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

whats really needed atm thou is people that knows layoyt. So you know Adobe InDesign or Adobe Flash or is just plain good in html/CSS then the GLN needs you

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2010 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
whats really needed atm thou is people that knows layoyt. So you know Adobe InDesign or Adobe Flash or is just plain good in html/CSS then the GLN needs you

Do you want a complete redesign of GLN or something similar to the old one?

Doesn't matter what you write it in, most tools and languages have some way to export to pdf or html. Just have to know what you're doing Wink IMO GLN should be available in both html and pdf format (if you got one, it's not a big problem converting to the other).
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2010 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happy to write. I won't work with that interface/layout however as it was/is an incomprehensible PITA. Strongly would prefer to see the GLN as a .pdf instead of an .html in any event.

Other than that, I offer my services. The old folks here know how um... creative... I can be.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2010 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The GLN has, or at least had in the days back when i was an editor, an own site section within the wiki which acted as the master repository. There are also seceral custom css classes that were used for the articles, headlines etc. IMO it would be best to use that resources to create the inital version and then convert that into other formats. That way you reduce overhead to unify layouts etc and you avoid having multiple versions of an article floating around.

just my 2c

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2010 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:
The GLN has, or at least had in the days back when i was an editor, an own site section within the wiki which acted as the master repository. There are also seceral custom css classes that were used for the articles, headlines etc. IMO it would be best to use that resources to create the inital version and then convert that into other formats. That way you reduce overhead to unify layouts etc and you avoid having multiple versions of an article floating around.

just my 2c

agreed CJ and after discussing with Christer we will maintain the current format. Bunny get creative and submit it to me
Ro
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2010 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Back in the days I provided an article for human tactics that got lost and never published.
I would be glad to submit it again (I need the time to write it anew Razz) if needed.

ps: I'm also rather proficient with Adobe InDesign.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2010 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Back in the days I provided an article for human tactics that got lost and never published.
I would be glad to submit it again (I need the time to write it anew Razz) if needed.

ps: I'm also rather proficient with Adobe InDesign.

I would love to read this!
jimjo

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2010 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

omg adobe....Sad
what about scribus insted of indesign
i would love to do a job or 2Wink
just, gime a sign
i am good in layout, logos, redesign, ....
all done with OpenSource FreeWare Software

adobe...lol
hope you wont go and buy the ipad as fast as you can buggers;)
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2010 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jimjo wrote:
omg adobe....Sad
what about scribus insted of indesign
i would love to do a job or 2Wink
just, gime a sign
i am good in layout, logos, redesign, ....
all done with OpenSource FreeWare Software

adobe...lol
hope you wont go and buy the ipad as fast as you can buggers;)

When you get to use the software while your boss pays for it, you just love Adobe Suite. Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2010 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I need an e-mail to send all the stuff I wrote about humans to.
It is in Word format at the moment, but I can easily send the whole html code, ready for a copy/paste into a html page.

Waiting for instructions.
Jan

Post   Posted: May 02, 2010 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

hey, what is the status of this?
html / css is not my main field of work, but sometimes I have to write some of my markup myself - so if you still need someone for it, i could help Wink
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: May 02, 2010 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a shame it has taken so long. I was told (following submissions) that the delay would be due to waiting for the next Major to hype.

I appreciate that in many cases this is not a problem (strategy articles, interviews etc...) but in some cases where submissions are requested based upon the current state of Leagues/Tournaments (Match reports, latest news etc...) they may no longer be current given the time it takes for the final product to be released to the community.
My latest match report was originally written for the GLN whereupon submission I was told I would have to wait at least 2 weeks, and hence it became a blog.

Hopefully if the GLN-revival is a success the time it takes to format/edit issues will be reduced or perhaps requests based upon status could be made at a more appropriate time, especially if the authors in question are happy to format their own work.

Other than that \o/

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Calthor

Post   Posted: May 06, 2010 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed wrote:
It is a shame it has taken so long. I was told (following submissions) that the delay would be due to waiting for the next Major to hype.

I appreciate that in many cases this is not a problem (strategy articles, interviews etc...) but in some cases where submissions are requested based upon the current state of Leagues/Tournaments (Match reports, latest news etc...) they may no longer be current given the time it takes for the final product to be released to the community.
My latest match report was originally written for the GLN whereupon submission I was told I would have to wait at least 2 weeks, and hence it became a blog.

Hopefully if the GLN-revival is a success the time it takes to format/edit issues will be reduced or perhaps requests based upon status could be made at a more appropriate time, especially if the authors in question are happy to format their own work.

Other than that \o/

Noted. We'll try our very best to time as best as possible in the future. Wink
James_Probert

Post   Posted: May 06, 2010 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Calthor wrote:
SeraphimRed wrote:

Other than that \o/

Noted. We'll try our very best to time as best as possible in the future. Wink

However, there is always going to be a certain ammount of lead time between recipt of an article and it's appearance in the paper, but following the house style helps us to reduce that lead time.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2010 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as formatting/editing goes, correct punctuation would be the least of the troubles I would think. Rolling Eyes
I'd also argue against anyone caring about the odd misplaced apostrophe.

I stand by my original remarks when applied to the status of tournies/leagues... For instances, I received the following 21 days ago:
Quote:

Posted by XXXXXXXX on 2010-04-16 17:35:48
2 days to final submission day for the GLN league sections, get those final drafts finished and posted by then please if ya want a shot at coverage in GLN issue 1

Thnx

... the OBBA Divisional tournament is almost over now which my submission was based upon.
My post wasn't intended as a criticism, I don't know how many people are on the editing team or how difficult a task it is to edit the submitted material, it was meant as an observation and how that effects anything based on a real time status - such as leagues.
At the very least those approached for Match Reports, Tournament updates should be made aware of this prior to submission.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Jump to: