64 coaches online • Server time: 20:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cthol

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... i'm coaching Birka Storm at the moment, and although it's pretty fun, i seem to be suffering from a high turnover of players, and, apart from a few players, not too many spps... obviously, i need to look at in-game tactics a lot more, but are there any other norse coaches with similar experiences? It's probably just me, in fairness, but do norse just suck for ages as you try to build them up?

any words of wisdom, folks?

Smile
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

C - Yes, in the wrong hands Norse do suck after TR150. Here's my personal opinions.

As a TR100 team the Norse can outplay most ALL other teams due to multiple blitzers with Jump-UP, Frenzy and blocks for every player. Because of this they should be played as a bashing team. (ie - forse the opponent to make as many blocks on you as possible and with limited rerolls hope for pow/skulls)

However at TR150+, most other teams now have players with block AND the bashy teams have purchased multiple STR4 players. So at this point you need to switch strategies and play them like elves, avoiding blocks as much as possible since head-to-head your armor WILL NOT hold up. (This is where most people fail as they continue to try and outslug people.)

Skills - think elf - any lineman with doubles get guard (since you have no STR4 players. Blitzer doubles get stand firm or dodge. And build up your catchers. Unfortunately the FUMBBL STR system punishes you for these skill choices.

Finally at +200TR Norse DO suck. My only success is taking a lot of tackle and challenging agility teams (wussy I know). But I have not been able to handle the superior strength of bashy teams at this level.

Mully Out

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2004 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully hit the nail on the head, they start really strong and just get worse and worse from there. There is something fundamentally wrong with this concept as far as i'm concerned so i don't play with them or amazons for that matter. I could see where you might be able to build up something of a passing game later on but i don't think that even this will help much. My sugestion would be to retire all your injured players and replace them often and maybe hire stars or wizards for fun on occasion and keep your teams rating and str nice and low where you can keep wining. Even this is bound to failure eventually but it should let you milk a lot of fun games out of them before they become crap.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2004 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

u should try to use multiple dirtys , like 6+ and boot every turn its a realy valid strat with norse . if u can take out all the good players on your opponents team u might have a chanse 2 win . =)
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2004 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Readers of fbbl posts feel free to add said user to your DNP lists

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2004 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I ran into the same problem with the Norse I used for th factions league. Got to avoid toe to toe battles and try to hope your blitzers can keep pushing players off the pitch and busting up formations and opposing lines. Every block I cringed as players were ko'd or hurt and at 90k a pop, blitzers are tough to replace. Rolling AG on a catcher or thrower is the only chance to turn Norse into an elf like team that can score and move away from cw, bo's and Bc's. A real challenge to coaches that can stand set backs and injuries is to play a Norse to 200 TR or higher.....

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2004 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually with an awefull strategy like that he's pretty much a free win. Sorry, I forgot that in this game your pixels are more important than winning the game, silly me. Rolling Eyes

(edit: this post was intended to follow mully, darkwolf snuck in on me while i was writing.)
kurre

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2004 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf tries to avoid toe to toe battles and is trying to push players off the pitch. What a dirty rat he is...

Feel free to add him to your DNP list!!!
Doowa

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2004 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

lol Kurre Smile
(somehow I feel your post was a bit more fun then Mully's, hehe)

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2004 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

My old norse team Striking Vikings (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=24424) did OK for themselves, until a combination of poor coaching and playing Khemri left them utterly bashed to pieces. I had a Mino with RSC and tentacles, a thrower with AG4 and a nice blitzer with MA7, MB and blodge, but when the Mino was killed and I was left with a battered team and no money, I decided to call time on them - well, with a match record of 2/2/23, I think they're probably best forgotten. Wink
Matt_wyeth

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2004 - 04:30 Reply with quote Back to top

just play vs elves, skaven, zons, khem, and norse. khem are easy to out manover and feature a line-up of skillless skellies and slow mummies. ideal for a fast and hit and run style of the norse. don't focus your d unless the ball is away from the line of scrimage. the LOS is a norsemans worse enemy. as even woodelves will have and >= chance at that point. Fouling is also a great equalizer so use it.
 Jump to: