62 coaches online • Server time: 00:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Reisender

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

i put it into [RuleDiscussion] as it is not a BUG.

In the new client, as in SkiJunkies old one, a touchdown is scored directly when a player enters the endzone carrying the ball. However, in the rules it is until the end of a player action that the TD is scored.

This could be important for

1) scoring on OFAB actions
2)stalling/running through opponents endzone while stalling

There are enough situation when it matters in my experience.

This topic is to start a discussion if it should be changed (asking the wholke community) and if it is possible to change it (asking Kalimar as the developer).
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

note this from the rulebook for point 2
Quote:
If a player from the moving team enters (or was already in) the opposing team's end-zone, and has or obtains the ball, then he may not voluntarily leave the end zone for any reason during the same action, nor may he hand off or pass the ball - he is far to intent on scoring the touchdown himself!

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, you have to read further down to get the complete sense of the rule:

"If a player from the moving team enters (or was already in) the opposing's team's End Zone and has or abtains the ball, then he may NOT voluntarily leave the End Zone for any reason during the same action nor may he hand-off or pass the ball"

Which means basically, once the player with the ball is in the endzone he may run around in it, but never leave it or give the ball to somebody else, basically forcing him to end his turn in the endzone which results in a TD.

Your interpretation of the rules is wrong IMHO.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

ok shame on, me i missed that, cheers for pointing it out.

this would leave it to ofab actions, would it?
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, and seriously... Vamps need all the help they can get...
I don't mind an ofab-score...

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

well, in the blood lust rules it explicitly states that a failed blood lust roll means that if the vamp can't bite a thrall at the end of his action he will NOT score/pass/handoff etc and the ball will bounce from his square.

Which just leaves those weird moments where someone has the ball and makes a stupid dodge when in the end zone and fails it, and so the ball bounces (though why they wouldn't want to stop and score is beyond me)

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
Yep, and seriously... Vamps need all the help they can get...
I don't mind an ofab-score...

I do. Nobody said it's easy to play with them. I don't even agree with the nerfed bites, but i can understand the purpose.

So, vamps can walk on the endzone to reach a thrall if necessary? Could be useful to avoid tackle zones. Nice to know.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I played a tournament game in the cyanide software, I was already wiining and needed 4 spp to skill my DE blitzer. Last turn, 0 RRs left, Blitzer had the ball and ran into the endzone, passed the ball and then got it handed back to him = 4 spp! Ofcourse he rolled +ST.

So you tell me this was an illegal move? SWEET!

Question on OFAB. Does the biting occur at the end of the action or directly after?
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

in the client the bite occurs at the end of the action, it was explained to me that scoring is in effect a turnover so scoring before the ofab part is ok. i was dubious about this, but it makes sense in a weird way
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl wrote:

Question on OFAB. Does the biting occur at the end of the action or directly after?

The bite occurs after move have been done, but before carrying out what happens just after a move.
Like if you are doing a pass action, first you move all your steps, then check if it bites, if it doesn't, it gets sent off and it won't have a chance to do the pass.

What happens if a ballcarrier is carrying out a foul while being in the endzone and gets sent off?
I would rule that as a scatter of the ball in the same way as the bite.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how it is resolved, if I want to frenzy push the opponent holding the ball out of bounds via the endzone. Is the TD scored after the first push and before the second block or can I frenzy him out of bounds?
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The touchdown is scored as soon as the player is pushed and are still standing. If i remember correctly, the rules are quite specific on this point. See scoring in an opponents turn.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
The touchdown is scored as soon as the player is pushed and are still standing. If i remember correctly, the rules are quite specific on this point. See scoring in an opponents turn.

Correct. The rules monkeys decided that frenzy was two seperate actions.

Its an increibly stupid ruling that conflicts with OFAB and the entire concept of a blitz action. With this ruling it should be possible to score while OFAB if you set it up right. A really easy rules alternative could have been just to check if a touchdown was scored at the end of every action after resolving all effects and consequences of that action.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
f_alk

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see that conflict, and don't see any way to set that up. And from the test in the rules, I would argue against the fact that frenzy was two actions and not just one.
Anyway, the scoring:
In your turn: your team can only score after a player finished his action
In the opponents turn: you do score immediately, without any need of the action concept.

One thing that is legal, but impossible in the client:
If your player has the ball in the endzone, he could run around - through enemy tackle zones if those are around, and thus get tackled and not score (voluntarily, more or less). That's impossible in the clients.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

For what it's worth, here's my opinion. As much as I love BB, this is one of those stupid, overly-complicated rules. Just like in real football, once a player crosses into the opposing teams endzone with the ball and does not drop the ball, it should be a TD and the turn should end immediately, moving to the next kick-off.

This would end all this need for bizarre rules clarification, and on top of that, it makes sense. Does the referee watch you running around the endzone waiting for you to stop and go to one knee first? It is based on football, not rugby.

As for OFAB/Blood Lust, add some fluff. If a blood lusted Vamp scores then it is a TD and he runs over to the nearest throng of cheering fans of the team and gorges himself. Just like NFLers jumping into the arms of their fans on a TD, but a little more intimate. Wink
 Jump to: