45 coaches online • Server time: 16:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just wondering why there arent any icons for some of the teams. These would be a really cool thing to have and as a non-developer I cant see why they cant be implemented relatively easily.

There are plenty of icons around. BOTOCS had some nice slann icons if you were waiting for those.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess he's trying to get the rules to work first before the pretty bits! Smile

It'll be cool when we can upload our own icons, these ones from the current Ski client offend my eyes. Wink
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Having no idea how the code looks like, I'm guessing that it's not as much lack in the client, but in the roster tables in the database.

Look in this thread: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=17881
I think we got almost all the icons needed. Just need them to be approved and added to the rosters.

From Christer's XML Documents, I've compiled this list (positions with only 1 icon lacks a path in the roster, or links to an unexisting icon).

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one that thinks they're really ugly compared to the old ones (not your recent work, the ones that are on the list as existing client ones)?

And; am I right that in the new client, my options are letters, those ones and whatever my oppo has uploaded? I mean, I can't tell it that a BOB looks like an old icon and it'll remember?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there somewhere we can see the old icon set? I'm curious to see it.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/files/images/

Hmm, that's not right for all positions, but that's the set... Can't find the link...
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

Are you sure these are the old ones? I thought those were made by someone in the community. (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=icons)

They aren't the icons I got when I downloaded the javabbowl client way back.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I guess he's trying to get the rules to work first before the pretty bits! Smile

I can see the reasoning behind that but I'm not sure if I agree. Icons would make the game feel alot more playable. If they're relatively easy to add then it should be an effective use of time.

I quite like the javaBB icons but I guess its a pain if you dont.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Mr. Goo. Now I recognize them on seeing them. There are some good old ones in there, like the troll who is great for Ripper, but I think the new ones are better overall.

The main reason for me is being able to distinguish the players. The Rats and Humans are good examples. With the old players linemen and throwers look alike. So do the catchers. I like the new set with catchers having two arms up, throwers with one arm up or uncovered, etc. It makes it much easier to see who is who.

Last edited by WhatBall on %b %22, %2010 - %20:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

Are you sure these are the old ones? I thought those were made by someone in the community. (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=icons)

They aren't the icons I got when I downloaded the javabbowl client way back.

They're the ones I got when I first downloaded Ski's client. I still use them, they're way better than the current ones.

It would be nice to be able to select whatever icons you wanted for the opposition too, I can't see myself wanting to change now...
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
They're the ones I got when I first downloaded Ski's client. I still use them, they're way better than the current ones.

I guess it's a matter of what people are used to and what they like. I like the ones I use Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree it's different folks for different strokes.

However, if you don't ask early, you don't get. And I'm greedy. Wink
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clear this up: it is not the client that is responsible for the icons but the roster.xml and team.xml files downloaded from fumbbl. These contain the icon urls for the roster positions (or for a single player in the team.xml). The only icons the client itself produces are the circled letter ones. That's why you can choose between team icons (from the team.xml if you and/or your opponent have uploaded such), roster icons (the default icons as defined in the roster.xml) and abstract icons (circles and letters) in the user settings.

So the reason why there are several icons missing is that they are not in the fumbbl database yet.
So you need to pester Christer about it, not me Wink
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So (help a n00b - sorry for being rubbish);

Letters = client.
Roster.xml = the icons from FUMBBL, that first list Shraaaag linked.
Team.xml = icons for <i>my</i> theam I've uploaded, and the ones my oppo has uploaded for his team. Not icons I've uploaded for both (i.e. I can't provide both sets).

How do we do the third one? Or is that in the future?
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2010 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Purple... i think the third one is also a "pestering Christer" issue. Very Happy
 Jump to: