31 coaches online • Server time: 11:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ravenmore

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

To be clear: the new quick reconnect feature is awesome!

However in my last game I managed to get disconnected twice in more or less the same moment halfway through my turn. This didn't disrupt the game much, and my opponent agreed that redoing everything exactly as it was would take longer than it was worth. This got me thinking...since reconnects take the game back to the beginning of the turn and take just a few seconds I see some exciting new options for exploiting this:

If both players agree without much of a hassle you can redo a turn for any reason: dice misclick, action misclick, failed bonehead, didn't get that CAS needed to skill up your BG, try and try again to get an IT for a larsson...anything short of a turnover. Noone will notice, unless there are specs - but ofcourse any exploiters will be aware if they are being watched (new features again!)

In the old client reloading was such a pain that noone would dream of trying it for silly reasons such as the above, but now...

Maybe it's not such a big deal, just thought I'd bounce the idea around.

<i>Edited by Goo, probably meant a s a joke, but come on, let it go now. Someone will take it the wrong way....</i>
Snowmelter

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ravenmore wrote:

As previous edit

*sorry, I just had to

At least give your own nationality in your profile, so that we can return your favor. Twisted Evil

And as we just had an incident of reload-cheaters, can we asume that the admins got a tool implemented to see excessive reloads of a match?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought your opponent could continue with the turn while you are gone and if it is your turn, you reconnect at exactly the same moment.

Also every command is sent to the server that hosts the game and logs stuff, so it would be extremely easy to implement flags that go up once there is more than one redo of one turn.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually Ravenmore is not quite correct. Fact is that a turn does NOT reset upon disconnecting. You can continue playing right where you were before (even in the middle of a dialog). The only times an unfinished turn is lost is when the SERVER CRASHES. Which really should never happen but does so quite regularly right now, because it still is a Beta after all. Which btw. is probably why you were disconnected in the first place. Someone else in another game entirely did something that made the server go down. It gets restarted automatically if that happens but loses the cached commands that were not yet commited to the database. Which is a maximum of one turn's worth.
Ravenmore

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Aaah! My mistake then.
I had quite a few such "disconnections" in the last day or two, returning to the beginning of the turn every time, though my connection was growing unstable...
Allright I stand corrected, I guess it's not really an issue then Smile

Quote:
At least give your own nationality in your profile, so that we can return your favor.

It's the same as Spiro's so I'd rather keep it secret( Laughing) I guess we're the trolls of this world. Feel free to return the favor Smile
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that Avatar very much btw., and I love Edgar Allen Poe Smile
 Jump to: